Mitchell defeats BTW 87-83. City Champs--AA

TraderB

WestnBaller,

My apoligies--I guess I was incorrect in referring to Memphis' "optional school" policy as "open enrollment."

----------------------------------------------------------------

You're dead-on accurate in your assestment about the top teams in Memphis AAA....It's shaping up to be an exciting year for Memphis basketball, all around!

As for the tournament moving...Personally, I don't wan't to see the tournament moved to FED-X forum. It's much too big and spacious, IMO, for High School. It would lack the "electricity," atmosphere and cozy "feel" of the smaller (but, big enough) MTSU Complex, in Murfreesboro. Additionally, Murfreesboro is a more convenient site for all participating teams. It's in the center of the State.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Go luck to all Memphis area and West Tennessee B-Ballers!

Trader B

I did not mean my comments the way they sounded. Some schools have it easier to make loopholes to get kids in than others. I was more or less saying they just as well have open enrollment the way kids move around. Look how many top players switched schools between last year and this year.

The other thing about the tourney, it does not need to be moved, Murfreesboro is a great place. The comment was more about the fact of how much Memphis dominates boys' basketball, especially AAA. The other issue is we have all this talent traveling to Murfreesboro, and very few people in Memphis see these teams play on the big stage. It is disappointing these players traveling to Murfressboro, to look up and not see but a dozen people in the stands cheering for them, while opponents with less talent bring half their school and town.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis City Schools does not have an "open enrollment policy", now I admit, kids pretty much go where they want, cause when there is a "will" there is a "way". Some schools are optional schools, and might can get kids in, but the privates get more of the great players than the publics, imagine how good Memphis would be if Leslie McDonald and others played at public schools.

The teams to beat are Ridgeway, Memphis Central, Kirby, and Raleigh-Eqypt. The sleeper is Craigmont, they have the talent, just have not put together a solid run. It could be an all Memphis final, they need to move the tourney to FedEx Forum, cause if it was a all Memphis AAA final and one AA team, it would be a nice crowd. You could see 4 teams from Memphis playing in A, AA, and AAA finals, maybe 5. Unfortunately, Memphis is that much better than the rest of the state in boys hoops. Just look at the titles over the last 20 to 30 years.

Who will be the best team next year in Memphis ?? How good is Briarcrest & the McDonald kid ???

The difference between Manassas' blowout victory over Millington, and Raleigh-Egypt's narrow victory over Millington is probably the result of STYLE of play. It is definitely NOT indicative of any sort of clear "superiority" that Manassas might have over Raleigh-Egypt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Look--I'm of the opinion that Manasas has a better team than RE. No, not 30+ points better--maybe 6-8 pts. One thing is certain--these two teams are a definite contrast in styles.

Manassas has more AND better shooters than does RE. Aditionally, Manasas plays a very fast pace, up-tempo syle of ball. They jack up 3-pointers like they're layups. They make a lot of those shots. Manasas will shoot you right out of the gym, if you try to run with them (which is what I suspect happened to Millington) or succumb to their relentless pressure defense (e.g. turnovers). They score a lot of points.

Raleigh Egypt, on the other hand, plays at more deliberate, methodical pace. They don't pressure the ball from end-to-end relentlessly, or jack up as many quick shots or 3-pointers, as does Manasas. Aditionally, RE does not shoot the ball anywhere near as well as Manassas. They don't score as many points. All these factors combine to shorten the game, allowing less-talented/inferior teams to hang closer (this is what I suspect happened in the Millington game).

My point was that Manassas has been running through good teams as well as there District games, 90% of what you say is right

Trader B

I did not mean my comments the way they sounded. Some schools have it easier to make loopholes to get kids in than others. I was more or less saying they just as well have open enrollment the way kids move around. Look how many top players switched schools between last year and this year.

The other thing about the tourney, it does not need to be moved, Murfreesboro is a great place. The comment was more about the fact of how much Memphis dominates boys' basketball, especially AAA. The other issue is we have all this talent traveling to Murfreesboro, and very few people in Memphis see these teams play on the big stage. It is disappointing these players traveling to Murfressboro, to look up and not see but a dozen people in the stands cheering for them, while opponents with less talent bring half their school and town.

yea that always bothers me...when the memphis teams play their is no support at all...mitchell went back to back finals and had more people in the band...bolivar, humboldt, UC, Liberty and Haywood nearly filled up the Murphy center in recent years...

Trader B

I understand and agree with you, 100%.... The lack of support is just plain sad.