what happen to hampton?

laidback

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was 41-39. I've never been the kind of feller to say "I told you so" and I've never been the kind of feller to blow my own horn but "TOOT TOOT!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> the Cloudland Highlanders are still the team to beat in the tournaments. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I respect Hamptons coaches but, I dont see why they dont utilize Bentley more . He is a awesome ballplayer anywhere u put him on the floor. He has one of the sweetest jump shots Ive seen in high school B-ball . Dont get me wrong Im glad we won . Just dont see why they dont try to use him more in the paint or even outside shooting the trey. From what I heard he has a good work ethic. Like I said Im glad we won but , I hate to see him lose . Wish he could get a chance to play at a small college to get himself a good education after this year . I think he could play a great role on a team . The boy just works his but off up and down the floor . Wish we could have had him , Stockton, and Gouge on the same team this year. My hat goes off to Cloudland on the win . Good hustle , ecspecially by some of the underclassman. Thats some great experiance for those young boys. Whats anyones opinion on the Lander , Bucs game? I havent got to see UH play.

I respect Hamptons coaches but, I dont see why they dont utilize Bentley more . He is a awesome ballplayer anywhere u put him on the floor. He has one of the sweetest jump shots Ive seen in high school B-ball . Dont get me wrong Im glad we won . Just dont see why they dont try to use him more in the paint or even outside shooting the trey. From what I heard he has a good work ethic. Like I said Im glad we won but , I hate to see him lose . Wish he could get a chance to play at a small college to get himself a good education after this year . I think he could play a great role on a team . The boy just works his but off up and down the floor . Wish we could have had him , Stockton, and Gouge on the same team this year. My hat goes off to Cloudland on the win . Good hustle , ecspecially by some of the underclassman. Thats some great experiance for those young boys. Whats anyones opinion on the Lander , Bucs game? I havent got to see UH play.

I sat behind George Pitts at the Hampton-Elizabethton game and watched him keep up with Bentley's stats in his notebook. That was the game in which Bentley took the game over and dominated. I am pretty sure Bentley had 27 points and 18 rebounds that game and 2 or 3 blocks. Elizabethton has two kids (Brent Thomas, Bo Carter) who are bigger than him on the inside and he ate them alive. He can shoot from the outside and he never hardly misses from the foul line. He is a pretty complete player...

If I were to answer your question honestly about why Bentley doesn't get the ball enough I would have to say that teams are packing it in on him and daring the Bulldogs to beat them from the outside and it is hard to get it to him all the time, but there is also an issue of a couple of unnamed players who just will not pass him the ball because they are worried about their points. That is why Cloudland can beat a team with superior talent because their team plays together and doesn't seem to care who scores, they put the TEAM first. If a couple of Hampton's players would adopt this attitude they could make it to the State but if they continue on their current path they could lose in the first round of the Region.

If I were to answer your question honestly about why Bentley doesn't get the ball enough I would have to say that teams are packing it in on him and daring the Bulldogs to beat them from the outside and it is hard to get it to him all the time, but there is also an issue of a couple of unnamed players who just will not pass him the ball because they are worried about their points. That is why Cloudland can beat a team with superior talent because their team plays together and doesn't seem to care who scores, they put the TEAM first. If a couple of Hampton's players would adopt this attitude they could make it to the State but if they continue on their current path they could lose in the first round of the Region.

I don't really think that it is any of the players being selfish at all. Lastnight was a showing of some good coaching by Ned Smith. He came in playing a 2-3 zone and run it tight which meant not many oportunities inside and making hampton to try and beat them by outside shots which they did not do. Plus they did try to give Bentley the ball, but you cant give the ball down low with two or three people right there on him, you just can't do anything with the ball if you do get it. I might be wrong, but I do believe that is was alot to do with coaching tonight with the win going to the landers. Last week cloudland didn't even attempt to run a 2-3 zone then last night came out and ran it and never had to come out of it.

I don't really think that it is any of the players being selfish at all. Lastnight was a showing of some good coaching by Ned Smith. He came in playing a 2-3 zone and run it tight which meant not many oportunities inside and making hampton to try and beat them by outside shots which they did not do. Plus they did try to give Bentley the ball, but you cant give the ball down low with two or three people right there on him, you just can't do anything with the ball if you do get it. I might be wrong, but I do believe that is was alot to do with coaching tonight with the win going to the landers. Last week cloudland didn't even attempt to run a 2-3 zone then last night came out and ran it and never had to come out of it.

Before I say this I want everyone to know that I think Ned Smith is one of the smartest coaches around, but I think it is absolutely hilarious that Ned gets praise for running the SAME EXACT defenses that White ran last night. But White is getting bashed for running those SAME defenses. Cloudland ran a 1-3-1 a few trips down the floor so they did come out of the 2-3 some. I agree with dog4life about the selfish players. There are a couple of players who always want to score. Cloudland and Hampton both ran a 1-3-1 and a 2-3 last night which means that both teams were forced to make an outside shot. This took Bentley out of the game and should have worked the same way on Stockton. I mean, we can set here and blame White for not running a man-to-man and trying to speed Cloudland up, but I set and watched Hampton run a 1-3-1 on Cloudland the whole second half at Hampton and they got a lot of turnovers on it. Only two three's were shot the whole second half by the Landers and neither of them were made in that game. After the half, by running the 1-3-1, Hampton extended a 3 point lead to a 23 point lead. There are definately certain times that are appropriate to run a zone and certain times to run a man-to-man. I am not real sure that "speeding Ned up" would have worked anyways. I watched Cloudland run all night long with Unicoi last week. I will gaurantee you that if they can run with Unicoi, they can easily run with any other team around here. I believe Hampton just got outplayed last night and there is no way to tell if a man defense would have worked on the Landers last night because the Bulldogs ran it on them at Hampton and it was just about the same result as what the zone defenses got last night. But I guess you will always have people who try to blame the coaches...

Before I say this I want everyone to know that I think Ned Smith is one of the smartest coaches around, but I think it is absolutely hilarious that Ned gets praise for running the SAME EXACT defenses that White ran last night. But White is getting bashed for running those SAME defenses. Cloudland ran a 1-3-1 a few trips down the floor so they did come out of the 2-3 some. I agree with dog4life about the selfish players. There are a couple of players who always want to score. Cloudland and Hampton both ran a 1-3-1 and a 2-3 last night which means that both teams were forced to make an outside shot. This took Bentley out of the game and should have worked the same way on Stockton. I mean, we can set here and blame White for not running a man-to-man and trying to speed Cloudland up, but I set and watched Hampton run a 1-3-1 on Cloudland the whole second half at Hampton and they got a lot of turnovers on it. Only two three's were shot the whole second half by the Landers and neither of them were made in that game. After the half, by running the 1-3-1, Hampton extended a 3 point lead to a 23 point lead. There are definately certain times that are appropriate to run a zone and certain times to run a man-to-man. I am not real sure that "speeding Ned up" would have worked anyways. I watched Cloudland run all night long with Unicoi last week. I will gaurantee you that if they can run with Unicoi, they can easily run with any other team around here. I believe Hampton just got outplayed last night and there is no way to tell if a man defense would have worked on the Landers last night because the Bulldogs ran it on them at Hampton and it was just about the same result as what the zone defenses got last night. But I guess you will always have people who try to blame the coaches...

Good Post Vader. I would like to see Hampton's players be more patient with the basketball when they have the lead. Hampton was up by 4 or 6 points in the 3rd period and kept trying to force the ball into the post and turned it over several times. We need to get a shot on every possession in tournament play. If we can improve on the turnovers, we can still make some noise in the regionals. Unforced turnovers played a huge role in the Cloudland game.