Region 1 AAA

TommyMan37604

Again it amazes me that there is almost zero discussion involving this year's DB hoops team. Almost no discussion concerning the DB - SH rivalry and now zero discussion involving the DB - Bearden substate match up. Does no one on here go to the games, or have any interest in the program?

I had the opportunity to see OR and Bearden play in their regional championship game. It was a great game, and I left w/ the feeling that Bearden had the better team. Bearden got winded and they did a poor job of adjusting to OR's press in the 4th.

Bearden has a very talented squad. Very talented. Lean and quick w/ excellent wing players. Fairly deep. Their weak link might be a point guard. He struggled at times vs. OR. However, that was the only time that I had the chance to see Bearden play this year. Bearden primarily played a match-up zone on the defensive end. OR had very few outside shot opportunities. Most of their points came on the inside from either Dowdell or penetration from the PG. OR had excellent PG play.

I saw the DB - South game late in the year where DB just murdered South. That was my only chance to see the Tribe this season.

Tonite's substate matchup will be a difficult match up for the Tribe. Nothing came easy for OR when they played Bearden. Had it not been for the run late, they would have certainly lost. DB will need to be patient on the offensive end. DB will need to make the most of every opportunity and hit some outside shots to win.

Best of luck to the Indians.

ROLL TRIBE ROLL!!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again it amazes me that there is almost zero discussion involving this year's DB hoops team. Almost no discussion concerning the DB - SH rivalry and now zero discussion involving the DB - Bearden substate match up. Does no one on here go to the games, or have any interest in the program?

I had the opportunity to see OR and Bearden play in their regional championship game. It was a great game, and I left w/ the feeling that Bearden had the better team. Bearden got winded and they did a poor job of adjusting to OR's press in the 4th.

Bearden has a very talented squad. Very talented. Lean and quick w/ excellent wing players. Fairly deep. Their weak link might be a point guard. He struggled at times vs. OR. However, that was the only time that I had the chance to see Bearden play this year. Bearden primarily played a match-up zone on the defensive end. OR had very few outside shot opportunities. Most of their points came on the inside from either Dowdell or penetration from the PG. OR had excellent PG play.

I saw the DB - South game late in the year where DB just murdered South. That was my only chance to see the Tribe this season.

Tonite's substate matchup will be a difficult match up for the Tribe. Nothing came easy for OR when they played Bearden. Had it not been for the run late, they would have certainly lost. DB will need to be patient on the offensive end. DB will need to make the most of every opportunity and hit some outside shots to win.

Best of luck to the Indians.

ROLL TRIBE ROLL!!!

really good post rolltriberoll...one thing you have to remember is that Oak Ridge's PG is Jared Stephens, their outstanding RB and all-around athlete...

D-B has not played real well against good zones, but has been able to win games against a zone (only 3 losses on the year)...it will come down to rebounding and second chance opportunities for both teams...thinnking that if either team gets an advantage in the paint, they win...duh, that was a tough call, huh?...

Roll Tribe Roll

maroonandgrey,

D-B did play Science Hill five (5) times in '92-93...but D-B only won four (4) of those games...lost the first one at home and then won the next four on the way to an Arby's championship, regular season championship, district tournament championship, and regional tournament championship (won that one by 30+ @ Freedom Hall)...lost to Memphis Fairley (an undefeated team) in the quarterfinals of the state...talked with Coach Shipley today and he remembered that we had gone 3-1 against Science Hill in '91-92; losing in the regional finals...we lost to Brainerd in the state semis after JaMichael had broken his arm...

This years D-B team is the first to win the regular season title, district tournament title, and regional tournament title in the same year since Shipley's '92-93 team...

Roll Tribe Roll

Skunk

Listening to the Sports monster this morning I heard Bill Meade state that JaMichael Mills turned an ankle before the Fairley game in '93 and that made a difference in the game. I don't remember that happening. Can you give me the recap on that?

Mills actually had a very good game vs. Fairly. Maybe the best player on the floor for either team.

However, Vincent Rainey, Sly Ford and Marlon Townes had nice game for Fairly. Rainey went on to have a nice college career at Murray St.

IMO DB lost that game due primarily to Rainey. He was a monster on the boards, and he had several offensive put-backs. Ryan Black couldn't contain him. DB also had some careless turnovers just prior to halftime and poor outside shooting.

I was heart broken over the loss, and I haven't forgotten it.

Anyone know what Mills is doing now?

Mills actually had a very good game vs. Fairly. Maybe the best player on the floor for either team.

However, Vincent Rainey, Sly Ford and Marlon Townes had nice game for Fairly. Rainey went on to have a nice college career at Murray St.

IMO DB lost that game due primarily to Rainey. He was a monster on the boards, and he had several offensive put-backs. Ryan Black couldn't contain him. DB also had some careless turnovers just prior to halftime and poor outside shooting.

I was heart broken over the loss, and I haven't forgotten it.

Anyone know what Mills is doing now?

I was at the game and didn't recall Mills being affected by a turned ankle but I heard them talking and thought I may have blacked out the bad memory of everything that day. The way I recall it, DB had a double digit lead and they subbed and Ford/other guard mauled DB's backcourt and turned the game around completely. Do you remember the score or points scored by players? I have tried for a while to find a write up or recap to no avail.

I was sick. We drove down, got a room, drove straight to the arena and it was all over within a couple of hours after arrving in town. I was ready to drive back but clearer heads prevailed. I think Science Hill was there as well and actually won there first round game?