Bearden vs Oak Ridge

twhoops

This should be the best East Tennessee high school game in years. No disrespect to the Maryville vs Bearden thrillers this year but this one has more hype. These two teams have been on a collision coarse all season long. Both teams have lost a combined 4 games by a total of 8 points. 30-2 vs 30-2. Looking at matchups I see it like this.

PG - Oak Ridge has a heavy advantage with Stephens

SG - Oak Ridge has a slight advantage

SF - Bearden has an advantage here if they utilize it

PF - Oak Ridge - Dowdell is a better all around player than Jenkins at this point

C - Bearden has a heavy advantage with Simpson

Bench - Bearden is the deeper team, but Oak Ridge has a solid 8-9 man rotation

Coaching-both are good ones in their own ways. This is a wash

Bearden has the home court advantage - worth at least 10 points

Oak Ridge is probably the underdog to most people - worth at least 5 points to Oak Ridge for motivation

Oak Ridge will hurt Bearden with it's press

If Bearden gets Oak Ridge's bigs in foul trouble early, it could get ugly, if not I'm taking Oak Ridge.

Final Score 66-63

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill take bearden in this one. stephens is a quick PG and i love how he penetrates the defense, but bearden is just a little more athletic than the cats. ill go against what was said earlier and i think jenkins is further along than dowdell offensively. dowdell is not playing the position he would play at the next level. i dont think he even wanted to establish himself down low against maryville. it hurts me to say this but bearden wins bc they're on fire right now, deeper, little more athletic, and shoot the ball better.

dawgs 74

cats 68

ill take bearden in this one. stephens is a quick PG and i love how he penetrates the defense, but bearden is just a little more athletic than the cats. ill go against what was said earlier and i think jenkins is further along than dowdell offensively. dowdell is not playing the position he would play at the next level. i dont think he even wanted to establish himself down low against maryville. it hurts me to say this but bearden wins bc they're on fire right now, deeper, little more athletic, and shoot the ball better.

dawgs 74

cats 68

To say that Jenkins is better offensively than Dowdell is comical. I respect Jenkins game, but he is overrated. He is strong and aggressive, but their is nothing soft about Dowdell, while many coaches speak of Jenkins as a soft player at times. Dowdell is very good at what he does and he plays within Norris' system. Gregory will be able to defend Sipmson to a point, but Demonte will get his. I really believe Stephens is the difference in this one. OR by 2

Dowdell is much better than Jenkins, not to mention that Jenkins worries more about running his mouth and complaining everytime he gets touched. If he concentrated on just playing the game he could be so much better. Bearden will have some trouble with the press, but they should take Maryville's approach and run a zone because they do not have anyone to stick with Stephens or any of Oak Ridge's guards. If Bearden can get it into halfcourt without rushing they can pound it down low to Simpson all day long. But, Maryville has better guard play than Bearden does and they struggled a lot versus the press. Should be a great game, and think that regardless who wins both teams will get to the 'Boro.

The last time the Cats played the Dogs in @ Bearden in the Region Finals was in 1996...the Cats won that game cause McMahon was flat out on fire....lets just hope another Mountaineer Signee doesn't hurt the Dogs tonight like Matt did that night. Unfortunatly, I won't be able to be there. First time that i have ever missed a Substate game at Bearden ever....don't think it would be worth a plane ticket from Phoenix to get there. My dad is taking my place, so I will have to get the scoop from him. Either way, it will be the best AAA matchups in East TN that I can remember in a long long time. Both teams have proven that they belong in this position. I have to agree with most other posts, Oak Ridge's guard play could be the deciding factor in this game. however, with that said, if the Dogs can get it to a half court game, it could get UGLY and PHYSICAL....this game is too close to call....I will hopefully be able to make this predicition again, if both teams are playing in the Murphy Center instead of the Doghouse....Good Luck Guys, here is to everyone plays a hard fought, clean game.....I'm OUT!!!!!

dawgs 74

cats 68

Bearden is alot of things bout more athletic than O.R. they are not.

The key is how well Bearden handles O.R.'s pressure. If they turn it over and can't get it into the post Bearden will have along night. If Bearden can take care of the ball and get the ball down low to Simpson O.R. will be in for along night.

I think the game boils down to the athleticism of O.R. vs the power of Bearden. I like the athletes.

O.R. in a close one.

This ought to be a game to remember. Oak Ridge coming off of a huge emotional victory over Maryville. As it was said earlier, they comparisons of the two teams is amazing. I know I will be there to see this great game.

Game time is 7:00 better get there early because I expect a crowd like Tuesday where the doors were shut by the fire marshall.

Oak Ridge in a close one.

Game time is at 7:00

Fulton gave Bearden lots of trouble both times they played with ball pressure on Fennell. Even when they didn't score to press, they picked him up full court and really took them out of their offense. OR has a great press and it will give Bearden problems. Neither team shoots the ball consistently well from the outside but Trent stepped up big time against Maryville. If he shoots the ball anywhere close to that well tonight OR will win. Dowdell is definitely ahead of Jenkins at this point on the offensive end. Q plays much tougher and Jenkins is without a doubt the "softer" of the two. Jenkins also struggles guarding quick perimeter players that can handle and shoot/ His length is offset by a lack of lateral movement. Gregory can stay with Simpson to a degree but can't shut him down. I've not seen Bearden play much zone but I think they matchup would make me consider it. I don't think I would give the athletic edge to Bearden and OR plays 8 or 9 guys which equals out in the depth. The 10th or 11th guy probably won't be a deciding factor. Whoever avoids foul trouble (or an injury) will be the winner because I think all the other factors cancel each other out.