fall

tonto

Guest kenwoodrun

tonto...

I agree, when I use the term "midstate", i basically mean everybody except for Nashville. It's funny you mention the rapid decline of Oakland's girls...we went from barely being able to break up their top 5 to beating them handily. I would think they'll bounce back, but Tullahoma will be a force in reg. 4. You know there is a big pool of talent in Murfreesboro...between Oakland, Riverdale and Blackman, somebody has to be strong there (?). For some whack reason, they put Blackman in our region, though.

BOYS: Smyrna will be down, and if for any reason Brian Turner doesn't come back, they'll go down even further. Gallatin's boys hurt badly from the aspect that they have no track program in the spring to hone their middle distance guys for the fall. Lavergne I believe will be down, Anderson and Cole Tanner and maybe Brandon O' Neal (?) are gone. I wish somebody could tell me who all Beech and Hendersonville have back, I'm interested to know. I remember TJ Davidson ran an unbelievable race at state, just missed the medal stand by inches. Hendersonville loses their mile stud Reynard, but he wasn't great in cross anyway. As for us, we lose our #2 and #3 guys, but we have a freshman that will take one of those spots immediately. All in all, we hope to move up from 4th to 3rd. Cookeville stands to be the class of reg 4 and 5. Clarksville's boys teams got shut out of the state meet, going 4-5-6 in the team race in reg. 5. That has not set well around here, don't look for that to happen again.

GIRLS: Clarksville schools went 1-2-3 in reg. 5 for girls, and that actually could happen again. I lose two of the top 5, but I feel confident we can get back to state if we work hard. Northwest could be great, Jamie Babb is the real deal. Rossview will have a couple of strong girls up front. I always fear Beech's and Gallatin's girls, though. Beech has Jess Casler back, and Coach McPheron at Gallatin is a coaching god so I never ever count them out. It's a good thing we don't see Brentwood High much, because I hear they could be a holy terror this year (darkhorse for winning it all).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beech is returning 4 of their top 5 guys from last year's team. They have a new coach and are looking to improve on their finish at the state meet this year. Gallatin still has Michael Dillehay. Don't know too much about Hendersonville except that they have a new freshman that should do well.

Guest kenwoodrun

Don't know on Martin...didn't see him in track (don't know if he even runs track...), but I would imagine TJ may have his number this year anyway. TJ wasn't so hot at regional, but smoked state. If Biker speaks the truth (and I believe him), then Beech may be the logical preseason favorite to win region 5. Still curious about H-ville. They were SO packed last year. And like I said before, Gallatin can sneak up on you fast.

The east-west division is an attempt to get the teams who always run the open (easy) division at Tompkins Farm to quit beating up on the little schools and to run the championship race, and take their beating like everybody else. The conference has gotten HUGE, with 59 schools now entered. That's ludicrous. So McPheron just went in and randomly dropped teams into 2 divisions, east and west for the PRE-conference meet. The top 10 teams out of each division automatically will be placed in the championship race instead of the open race when October rolls around. Anybody else who wants to move up may (I doubt there will be any) when we get there. There are 28 teams in the east, 31 in the west, and I'm not sure how that all worked out. Of course, several of those schools won't field full teams, but it will be quite interesting to see. IMHO, the east is "tougher", for what it's worth. I don't object to it all, it is more fair than some team scoring 25 points to win the open division that may have an enrollment of 1500. It doesn't matter...no matter how hard I try, I won't do any better than 2nd (which our girls got last yr), because of BA. If you want to see the divisional breakdown for the 9-5-02 race, go here (notice all of the new schools!!!):

http://sumnerschools.org/ghs/divisions.html

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Wow, the east does look much tougher than the west. Although Hendersonville and Cookeville should have a good battle in the west...I don't see too many more than ten that will field a full team in the west. Coach, looks like your girls could get an early W by winning that west division...what do you think?

Also, I am definitely DEFINITELY not one to shoot off at the mouth when there is nothing to talk about, but I went by practice today and ran with my old team and I must say my boy Justin Birdwell will definitely be one to watch...he was right around where Davidson was most of last year (his first year running). And he is much better this year.

ALSO: FOR ANY COACHES looking for a no-pressure preseason meet: Cookeville will have it's annual preseason jamboree on Thursday August 22: tough course (course record: John Welsh, 16:02 - and he was pretty dang good), no scoring, great opportunity to see your runners perform in a meet situation...Contact Coach Bill Wrasman at Cookeville High School.

Guest kenwoodrun

Oh no, you aren't overstating Birdwell. That AAA boys MVP in the conference is a lot more wide open than it has been in recent memory. There's not one certain guy that strikes the fear of God into anybody, but there are a bunch of tough guys that will step up together this year.

You maybe right about not getting much more than 10 total teams, but it may depend on these people I've never heard of...John Paul II and Zion Christian may have 20 people out for all I know. I'm not brave enough to say we're going to win that west division, I'd say Tullahoma, maybe BGA (?) and then us? If I still had last year's team, I'd say we could win it. But if we don't go top 10, I will quit :o

And I should know the answer to this...but are the two girls from Lincoln County who went to state in the 3200m (Halcomb, and the other one...) gone or are they back again?

Tullahoma's girls will be pretty tough, but I think you have a good shot, but I'm from the same school as you are as far as not predicting much for your own team...the modest teams are always the best (except those old Oakland teams). Here's a funny memory...two years ago in a meet at LaVergne, I can remember Oakland's guys taking an easy day and just using it as a training run, so they made fun of Labronn for running with everything he had (not to mention making fun of him in a race in which he was beating them). Now this was when Labronn would've been a sophomore and he was just starting to really improve and whoop people's tails...they had their laughs that day, but you know the rest of the story.

Oh, and to answer your Lincoln County concern...both Halcomb and Moran are back...Halcomb is a senior and for some reason, I think Moran is a junior.

Posted by tnwareagle:

Bradley girls have a good a shot as anyone at winning a state cross country title...

I can see bradley's guys getting in the top 5 at state. Everything will have to go perfect on the day of the state meet though. As far as bradley's girls, the talent is there but I dont see them getting in the top five this year.Maybe next year but they just havnt put in the summer miles needed to place that well. Bradley's guys have! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been awhile and I've gotten settled at college so I figured I would brag on my boys again. Kenwoodrun, soak up that west division race next week for me (since I obviously won't be able to make it). Birdwell should be leaving some coaches' jaws hanging. They had a scrimmage meet yesterday, and let's just say his is the second fastest time I've heard in the state so far (Dusty Miller's first race was 16:28 and another Knoxville meet winner was 16:46, Chiulli of CBHS ran 15:40). Granted Bird's race was a 3-mile and the others were probably 5k (except chiulli's), but still, that's good company. Should be a great one to watch. Also the team as a whole isn't looking too bad.

Coach- how's your team looking? Have yall been to any preseason meets? Also, did you hear anything about Vaughn's Creek? How are all the teams looking?

[Edited by tonto on 8-29-02 12:37P]

[Edited by tonto on 8-29-02 10:23P]

Posted by tonto:

Well, it's been awhile and I've gotten settled at college so I figured I would brag on my boys again. Kenwoodrun, soak up that west division race next week for me (since I obviously won't be able to make it). Birdwell should be leaving some coaches' jaws hanging. They had a scrimmage meet yesterday, and let's just say his is the second fastest time I've heard in the state so far (Dusty Miller's first race was 16:28 and another Knoxville meet winner was 16:46, Chiulli of CBHS ran 15:40). Granted Bird's race was a 3-mile and the others were probably 5k (except chiulli's), but still, that's good company. Should be a great one to watch. Also the team as a whole isn't looking too bad.

Coach- how's your team looking? Have yall been to any preseason meets? Also, did you hear anything about Vaughn's Creek? How are all the teams looking?

[Edited by tonto on 8-29-02 12:37P]

[Edited by tonto on 8-29-02 10:23P]

BCHS first meet is Sept 10 at Camp Jordan in East Ridge-we'll let ya know than how that goes! Tommorrow the boys travel to Knoxville for a "scrimmage type" meet- maybe I'll update on that tommorrow afternoon if theirs anything worth writing about! :rolleyes: (and I am sure their will be)

Guest kenwoodrun

From a few accounts, Chiulli looks outstanding. One can only hope that CBHS comes up for Classic or Bridges in September. I don't know about most people, but if scrimmage courses are anything like the couple we have run, we didn't know if we'd run 2.5 miles or 10K. I will keep my eyes peeled on Birdwell, he can go out and win that west division race on Thursday. We get the early race, but I don't think that heat is going to be an issue this year (like it has been some years).

I'll go ahead and tell you how we look: tired and beat up. We'll go into Gallatin with our tails dragging. Since we plan on going back to Gallatin to try to replace our AMS times from preconference, I'm not even going to try to get up for Thursday. I'm hoping to put all my pennies in the bank in October. Hope. I haven't seen or heard anything midstate, but I will see some Clarksville schools tomorrow at Ft. Campbell and I'll give you some feedback after Thursday's carnival.