Antioch vs Seigel

Icy

Are you serious battle down low with just McAdoo (UNC football commit), what about Wells, Clarke, Okefar and Girty???? He's going to have to throw more than his weight around to intimidate the big men of Antioch who all average around 3 to 4 block shots a game. CAN THE BIG MEN RUN? McAdoo was recruited and rated the No. 35 defensive end in the country by ESPN.com because of his speed. Wells set records in the middle school track competition in 100 yard dash and the high jump. So They running, jumping, blocking, shooting, and dunking!!! Better Lace them up and be ready to play.

Its a shame that your prized DE is going to measly UNC while ours is going to UT. All I meant was does Antioch run a break or more of a half court set, Siegel has good size also. I would love to see this stat they have 15 blocks a game. There is no way thats right.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Antioch has size, but can there bigs run? Siegel has some height and they love to run. I feel if Antiochs bigs get in foul trouble it hurts them more then if Siegels do. Siegel has one true post player in Hughes(Tenn. Football commit). He must attack Mcadoo is Siegel wants to win. Hughes can throw his weight around very well an intimidate many players. I feel him and Mcadoo will battle down low. Tyler Cutter and Kerry Hammonds are the key to a Siegel victory. They gotta bring it. If Siegel can get past antioch I dont see why they can not win the State. LETS GO STARS!!!

yes...they can run

I did not know Tate played at Cookeville on varsity on last year.

Hammonds played one game and got hurt.

Gooch played some but I wouldn't call him experienced after last year.

And TJ Mitchell is also a sophomore who saw some time at the end of last year but not too much.

Hoolie, I know you have been out of town for some time now, but to correct you......Gooch started every game last year, Mitchell started every game last year, Tate started every game last year for Cookeville. So they have some experience there. Go Siegel!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

your a fool

yeah thats right,just like I was a fool to pick Siegel over Shelbyville in their house...huh??? Shut up and buy your ticket like the rest and come watch Siegel play in the"Glass House" Go Siegel!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hoolie, I know you have been out of town for some time now, but to correct you......Gooch started every game last year, Mitchell started every game last year, Tate started every game last year for Cookeville. So they have some experience there. Go Siegel!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I may be out of town but TJ Mitchell did NOT start every game last year.

He started playing alot more when Montori got kicked off. But in November and December he was not a big contributor.

Its a shame that your prized DE is going to measly UNC while ours is going to UT. All I meant was does Antioch run a break or more of a half court set, Siegel has good size also. I would love to see this stat they have 15 blocks a game. There is no way thats right.

From the Tennessean: Today, March 10, 2008

Antioch looks to end Metro's dry spell at state

Antioch can stop the talk.

Halt the questions.

Erase the memories of so many near misses.

The Bears, fresh off a 62-point sectional win over Wilson Central and playing their best ball of the season, are among the favorites to win this week??™s Class AAA boys state tournament at the Farm Bureau Insurance of Tennessee Basketball Championships in Murfreesboro.

It??™s been 27 years since a Metro school has captured the gold trophy in the biggest classification. Pearl High last did it in 1981.

???Beating a team in the (sectional) by 62 should tell the rest of the state something,??? Antioch center Mike McAdoo said. ???It should make a statement.???

Antioch opens its tournament against Murfreesboro neighbor Siegel at 7 p.m. Thursday at Middle Tennessee State??™s Murphy Center. If the Bears win that one, Memphis powers Ridgeway and White Station could be waiting in the next two rounds.

This is the opportunity Coach Jim Nollner wanted when he left Whites Creek last August to take over a 29-win Antioch squad that returned all five starters. Nollner had been at Whites Creek for 29 years, 16 as head coach, and led the Cobras to four state tournaments, including 2006 and ??™07.

???I got over there late,??? Nollner said. ???I didn??™t have them in summer league. I didn??™t have them in camp. We barely had three weeks for them to get everything down.???

Putting it together

With Nollner at the helm, Antioch has gone 26-2 without a loss to a Tennessee school.

What??™s more impressive is how the Bears have hit their stride in the postseason. Their last three victories over Franklin, Hillsboro and Wilson Central have been by a combined 120 points. None of those three opponents scored more than 34 against Antioch??™s swarming 2-3 zone defense.

Antioch??™s chances look great on paper. It has balanced scoring ??” Kyle Upton (13.4 ppg), Tahj Wells (12.4), McAdoo (11.7) and Coty Clarke (11.6) all average in double figures and shoot 50 percent or better from the floor. Upton and Michael Williams have made smart decisions on the perimeter, while the tall front line of Wells, McAdoo and Clarke averages 24 rebounds and four blocks a game.

If Antioch wins Thursday to advance, sixth man Brian Clarke would be back for the semifinals after serving the second of a two-game suspension vs. Siegel for getting ejected in the Region 6-AAA final.

The biggest question is whether Antioch, which hasn??™t been to state since 2000, can keep its focus on this kind of pressure-packed stage.

???We just try to play like family,??? Coty Clarke said. ???These guys are like my brothers. I look up to them. Coach Nollner lets us know what to do, but he is also a father figure. He has been there, done that. And if we take his advice, we can??™t be stopped.???

Reach Jeff Lockridge at (615) 259-8023 or jlockridge@tennessean.com

I don't think that skinny 6-10 guy who sits on the bench for Siegel would be a factor since he doesn't play much.

I saw Wilson Central AND Siegel this year and while Siegel was better even without Hughes, an upset doesn't seem very certain. Still have to go with Antioch by 10 or 12.

That skinny guy that sits on the bench is happy he is alive and able to sit on that bench. He is able to play because someone was gracious enough to sign their donor card. Neil is playing with someone else's heart. Maybe having trouble gaining weight since his surgery before his freshmen year.

Make no mistake about it, UT would have loved to have McAdoo. As a matter of fact they did recruit him but he chose to go to NC. All of their big guys can run and their guards can shoot it. Williams, in my opinioin, is the most underrated player on the team. He can fill it up. The thing that people don't talk about is their defense. They really get after you and create turnovers.

I go Antioch by ten, but you never know Antioch IS a METRO team so I am willing to go out on a limb and say that Siegal is going to be the more disciplined team, but Antioch is obviously the more talented team, so that is why I am going with them.

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="