Red Cards

rednex41

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2 match ban is a result of equity with other sports at the HS level. If, for instance, you are tossed from a football game, you sit a week, since HS soccer generally plays 2x a week, thus the 2 match ban.

Sportsnut- an intentional handball in the box is one of the first rules we teach little kids. It's also an easy infraction to call as a referee. I would think that knowing you are gone for up to 3 full matches and the balance of the one you are playing would be an incentive NOT to stick your shoulder out to direct a high ball.

Just sayin'........

The 2 match ban is a result of equity with other sports at the HS level. If, for instance, you are tossed from a football game, you sit a week, since HS soccer generally plays 2x a week, thus the 2 match ban.

Sportsnut- an intentional handball in the box is one of the first rules we teach little kids. It's also an easy infraction to call as a referee. I would think that knowing you are gone for up to 3 full matches and the balance of the one you are playing would be an incentive NOT to stick your shoulder out to direct a high ball.

Just sayin'........

Chindit,

I would have to strongly disagree. Hypethetical situation:

A basketball game is tied with under ten seconds left. A player from Team A drives and shoots from ~ 10 feet. A player from Team B under the hoop instinctively jumps up and goal tends.

Does the player from Team B deserve to sit out for 2 games?

I am not saying that a hand ball that prevents a goal should not be a red card...it should. That is soccer. However, the TSSAA clearly does not understand our game.

Soft Red????? I can't stand this one either. In this case, it's like they try to equate 2 yellows to fouling out of a basketball game.

Hey TSSAA, if Team A gets a red card, Team A is supposed to play with one less player for the remainder of the game. I think FIFA has had enough experience to set this rule.

Our school has a policy that makes players sit out an extra game for sports penalties. So instead of just two we have to sit out three. I understand that they are worried about saftey. But a hand ball in the box means a player has to sit out 3 games? A little extreme in my opinion.

First off a handball in the box doesn't have to be a card at all. It would be a yellow card if you intentionally threw your hand up in the air to block the ball and only a red card if you were the last defender and it was a scoring opportunity. My fellow referees can clarify this for me. For instance last year against BGA, a ball bounced up and hit one of players hands while in the box, a foul was called, no yellow and a PK was awarded.

Just sayin'........

You hypothetical doesn't add up for soccer. I think a red card for unsporting behavior should qualify for a two game suspension. Here's a great example and why it doesn't make sense.

In basketball, in the final seconds a player is on a fast break and the game is tied, the opponent comes and fouls the player on the layup intentionally, so they don't get an easy lay up and go ahead. Makes that player shoot two free throws. This player is not ejected from the game for doing that.

In soccer, if a defender does that and he is the last defender, it's a straight red. A two game suspension is unfair. Not only does his team have to play a man down, now TSSAA has suspended him for two games. The Laws of the Game were made specifically for soccer and TSSAA adding onto the laws or taking away from the laws has no idea what they are doing. Two soft yellows, give me a break, what was the intention behind that. Just leave the laws alone and let them play soccer, this way referees, players, coaches and fans can all live by the same rules, it's confusing enough without changing little things here and there.

The week ban was instituted by TSSAA for the reason given; I was in the Officials Meeting when it was announced. IN the opinion of the governing body TSSAA, the example I gave earlier about football was cited as a reason to suspend for 2 mathces.

As a coach, I have on occasion thanked my last defender, when they were sent off for a last desperate tackle. I've even had my keeper sent off for a tackle outside the box, with no defender behind them.

I was wrong in insinuating earlier that a defending player would be automatically sent off for a handball in the box; BlackmanSoccerdad has it correct. I apologize for that.

I think, in the opinion of TSSAA, a red card is similar to, when a HS basketball player shoves an opponant to the court, he is ejected and suspended for a week.

I know it doesn't hold water, I'm just telling what I've been told, by them what are in charge.

This is what I remember hearing at the meeting, as well.

TSSAA - Give us all a big break and leave soccer alone. You guys are screwing it up. You indiots have put the referees in such a defenseless position. If they hand out a red card, they are impacting more than just the one game they are refereeing. If they had out yellow cards for infractions that deserve red, then they are putting the players at risk. Leave the game to the ref's to manage.

Just checking to make sure I remember correctly. The "hard red" or direct red is a 2 game supspension and you play down. I know that. But the "soft red" or two yellows you actually can sub a player and the player does not sit out any extra games? I thought this was how it was explained to me, but I can't find my handy tssaa rulebook so want to make sure.

Hey G, you're pushing 3,000 posts. When do you find time to every coach?! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />