tssaa rule

engineer1

About the official ruling...I have a friend that is a niece to one of the directors in TSSAA & we were talking about this one day & she told me to call a certain guy and find out for sure. When I talked to him he told me that if you are registered (being on a roster) with TSSAA that you can not practice or anything with another organized sport or you would be deemed ineligible for your HS team. I'm sure there is a fine line with the do's & don??™ts and maybe they just say "not to practice" because there are so many different situations. I know everyone has their own interpretations about it but I'm going with what I heard directly just to be safe.

This is a perfect example of the kind of garbage that causes so much confusion every single year. The misinformation creates horrible fears among parents who hear these false rules spouted.

NO, PRACTICE WITH AN INDEPENDENT TEAM IS NOT PROHIBITED BY TSSAA. Period. There are no prohibitions on other "organized sports" either. A softball player can play AAU basketball games and tournaments without penalty during the high school softball season. There aren't any fine lines. TSSAA prohibits playing scrimmages, practice games, or games with an independent (rec or travel) team. The TSSAA By-Laws specifically say that practice outside of scrimmage, practice game, or game situations is perfectly fine. The actual passages from the TSSAA By-Laws has been pasted into 2-3 messages above.

If you need a source, call Bernard Childress at TSSAA. He knows the By-Laws inside and out and has been the top By-Law compliance guy there for years. He'll tell you that travel team practice is fine as long as you don't have game situations such as scrimmages, practice games, or games.

As much as TSSAA irritates me, they aren't the cause for the annual confusion on travel team activities. It's the myriad of idiots each year who ignore the written rule and TSSAA published interpretations and continue to perpetuate the misinformation.

From what I have been told....It depends upon if the school is a member of TMSSA, which basically adopted the TSSAA rules.

You were told correctly. TMSAA has the same participation rule as TSSAA. But not all Middle Schools are TMSAA members, and the rule only applies to TMSSA members. There is a list of TMSAA member schools on the TSSAA web site. In Middle Tennessee, Rutherford and Wilson County schools have been TMSAA members. Metro schools and privates haven't been. Obviously TMSAA rules don't apply to non-TMSAA schools.

This is a perfect example of the kind of garbage that causes so much confusion every single year. The misinformation creates horrible fears among parents who hear these false rules spouted.

NO, PRACTICE WITH AN INDEPENDENT TEAM IS NOT PROHIBITED BY TSSAA. Period. There are no prohibitions on other "organized sports" either. A softball player can play AAU basketball games and tournaments without penalty during the high school softball season. There aren't any fine lines. TSSAA prohibits playing scrimmages, practice games, or games with an independent (rec or travel) team. The TSSAA By-Laws specifically say that practice outside of scrimmage, practice game, or game situations is perfectly fine. The actual passages from the TSSAA By-Laws has been pasted into 2-3 messages above.

If you need a source, call Bernard Childress at TSSAA. He knows the By-Laws inside and out and has been the top By-Law compliance guy there for years. He'll tell you that travel team practice is fine as long as you don't have game situations such as scrimmages, practice games, or games.

As much as TSSAA irritates me, they aren't the cause for the annual confusion on travel team activities. It's the myriad of idiots each year who ignore the written rule and TSSAA published interpretations and continue to perpetuate the misinformation.

Easy trigger! I'm not bashing kids playing with travel teams because I have a travel team myself. I made sure I put in my post that I have heard so many different situations, been told different things by everyone & read the rules but there was still a grey area for me. There are fine lines/gray areas(whatever you wan to call it) whether you want to admit it or not. TSSAA prohibits playing scrimmages, practice games, or games with an independent (rec or travel) team. Ok??¦ Like what do you/me/coach/whoever vs. TSSAA consider game situation? Everyone is different when they interpret the rules of any game. As far as reading the rules that were posted before??¦I did. They all say the same thing but you have three or four different people interpret it different & telling their take on it. It??™s kind of like when people read the bible & see it different. Christians for example??¦most all Christians believe the same with an exception of a few details. They interpret little things different & that??™s why we have different denominations. See where I??™m going here?

Am I calling you an idiot because you used AAU vs. HS softball as an example? No, I??™m not. I??™m sure you have read the rules enough to know why softball and AAU playing at the same time doesn??™t matter. But if other people don??™t completely understand the fine line/grey area of the practice the same sport with a travel team while playing high school ball rule ??¦we are idiots??? You can play HS softball & AAU basketball at the same time just like boys football overlaps basketball and basketball overlaps baseball but the players are on both rosters at the same time??¦.it??™s not the same sport. Girl??™s basketball players couldn??™t try out for an AAU team until their season was over because it is the same sport.

I??™m sure your going to come back with game situations are easy to understand or everyone is wrong if they don??™t read the rules stated. Just my opinion of course but if you take game situations out of softball practice then you just have hitting/catching/running. Aren??™t they getting plenty of that at the high school level?

I stated what I was told??¦.right or wrong I heard it from the office of TSSAA. I will take that for what it??™s worth. You know it may be like I said, people may not understand the grey areas & TSSAA may just tell people to be safe & not practice till HS ball is over. I don??™t know what the case is. I know how I feel about my HS girls practicing with another team??¦.why risk it because they are getting plenty of practice anyway.

You were told correctly. TMSAA has the same participation rule as TSSAA. But not all Middle Schools are TMSAA members, and the rule only applies to TMSSA members. There is a list of TMSAA member schools on the TSSAA web site. In Middle Tennessee, Rutherford and Wilson County schools have been TMSAA members. Metro schools and privates haven't been. Obviously TMSAA rules don't apply to non-TMSAA schools.

Thx, I found the list. Do you think there is a benefit to being a TMSAA member? If your in the TMSAA do you have districts & state tournaments?

What is the rule for high school players and travel teams during the regular season? Seems the mud dogs think they can play even though they have players playing high school ball.

Your kid didn't make their team huh? Or is it because your kid plays on a competing team that has gotten whipped by them?/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Why do people start this junk?

Situation:

Player A does not make the varsity team, but plays travel ball with Team Green. Player B also plays with team Green, but she did make the varsity. Player A is jealous.

Team Green Coach calls player B for a Sunday afternoon batting practice session. Player B goes. At the end of practice, Coach decides to work on the squeeze play for 5 minutes. He puts a runner on 3rd. Player B is at the plate for one pitch. The next day, Player A calls TSSAA to report that player B has participated in a game situation with her travel ball team. By rule, after appropriate investigation, Player B is ruled ineligible.

Why risk it? No matter what TSSAA allows, it is not a wise move to practice with a travel ball team of the same sport during the high school season. That is why most high school coaches do not allow their players to do so, if they can prevent it.

Situation:

Player A does not make the varsity team, but plays travel ball with Team Green. Player B also plays with team Green, but she did make the varsity. Player A is jealous.

Team Green Coach calls player B for a Sunday afternoon batting practice session. Player B goes. At the end of practice, Coach decides to work on the squeeze play for 5 minutes. He puts a runner on 3rd. Player B is at the plate for one pitch. The next day, Player A calls TSSAA to report that player B has participated in a game situation with her travel ball team. By rule, after appropriate investigation, Player B is ruled ineligible.

Why risk it? No matter what TSSAA allows, it is not a wise move to practice with a travel ball team of the same sport during the high school season. That is why most high school coaches do not allow their players to do so, if they can prevent it.

Finally.........someone gets it! Good Post.

Situation:

My point exactly...why take a chance? You can't work on any "game situations" with your HS players so why waist the other girls time with "non game situation" practice? They are getting plenty of practice with the HS team anyway.

What is the rule for high school players and travel teams during the regular season? Seems the mud dogs think they can play even though they have players playing high school ball.

Just to clarify this situation.... I am one of the coaches for MUD DAWGS(not dogs) and this is so ludicrous. After all the hard work that my girls and parents have put in preparing for high school ball, there is no way that playing is even in our thoughts until high school ball is over. As all travel ball coaches are aware...so are we that this is not allowed by TSSAA. We are very excited about the up coming year but would in no way jeopardize the girls or their schools. In fact not only are we NOT playing but have also NOT practiced. So in my opinion you not only dont have the right information but also dont know us well enough to be talking if you dont know that this is something we would never do.

And do you really think the parents would go for that???? i think not. So unless watching my players play on their high school teams is illegal im pretty sure we have not broken any rules! Thanks

Engineer1, do you have any evidence to back up your allegations? I doubt it.

It's very obvious that you are just trying to make trouble for the MudDawgs or one of the H.S. teams that group of girls plays for.

Jealous? If so, I can understand why. There are very few teams that have what the MudDawgs have.... Good coaching, strong players at every position, and a fantastic bunch of parents. I've been following travel ball in west and mid TN since 2001 and I can tell you they really have "IT" going on. "IT" is also known as team chemistry.

Engineer1, if you would spend your time in a more productive manner (instead of wasting it making trouble), maybe someday you and your team will have "IT."

My point exactly...why take a chance? You can't work on any "game situations" with your HS players so why waist the other girls time with "non game situation" practice? They are getting plenty of practice with the HS team anyway.

I really can't disagree with you. Both of my kids did practice a little with their respective travel teams. I was at every practice just to see they didn't practice game situations. I cleared it with their high school coaches.

I don't think you are in the minority as a high school coach in not wanting your players to practice with their travel team. It's your prerogative to do that. I can see both sides.