6-5A - Let's hear some opinions

bearfeet

6-5A fans have been awfully quiet. Although spring practice hasn't yet begun, surely there are some thoughts about what the upcoming season might bring. Isn't anyone else having serious football withdrawals like me? Let's get some discussion going - I am tired of reading about Franklin County and East TN!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope Region 6-5A is "down" again this year so we can see yet another team from the region play in Murfreesboro! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Way too early to tell who will be atop the region in 2008, but I will throw some things out there for the good of the thread.

1. Brentwood - Returns more than enough to compete for the title in 08!

2. Franklin - Returns quite a few skill guys that can be dangerous, but took a slight hit on the oline and major hit on defense. I put them ahead of Ravenwood only because of the QB factor.

3. Ravenwood - Returns a few folks as well on both sides. QB? That will be their biggest hole to fill.

4. Independence - Lost a bunch of players to graduation, but so did Dickson, so I put them here.

5. Dickson Co - Same as Indy, but enough talent usually to hold off the rest of the region.

6. Centennial - Lots of speed on that team, not sure they can block for that speed or stop anyone though.

7. Columbia - Similiar to CHS! I supposed CHS and Columbia could give DCHS a scare in 08!

8. Clark-Ne - Outmatched in this region and in 5A.

Have any of these teams held their spring practice yet? If so, any reports out there as to how they looked?

Let's hope Region 6-5A is "down" again this year so we can see yet another team from the region play in Murfreesboro! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Way too early to tell who will be atop the region in 2008, but I will throw some things out there for the good of the thread.

1. Brentwood - Returns more than enough to compete for the title in 08!

2. Franklin - Returns quite a few skill guys that can be dangerous, but took a slight hit on the oline and major hit on defense. I put them ahead of Ravenwood only because of the QB factor.

3. Ravenwood - Returns a few folks as well on both sides. QB? That will be their biggest hole to fill.

4. Independence - Lost a bunch of players to graduation, but so did Dickson, so I put them here.

5. Dickson Co - Same as Indy, but enough talent usually to hold off the rest of the region.

6. Centennial - Lots of speed on that team, not sure they can block for that speed or stop anyone though.

7. Columbia - Similiar to CHS! I supposed CHS and Columbia could give DCHS a scare in 08!

8. Clark-Ne - Outmatched in this region and in 5A.

Have any of these teams held their spring practice yet? If so, any reports out there as to how they looked?

The bottom 3 teams will never be considered a playoff caliber team, Can't beat anyone in region other than each other. Will fight for 6th,7th,and 8th place.

For the past couple of seasons, I've been thinking that 2008 would be the year for Brentwood to return to dominance in the region due to the young talent maturing. So, I'll just go ahead and throw it out there...my prediction is that Brentwood will be Region 6-5A champs this year and make it deep into the playoffs. Keep in mind that this is before seeing any spring practices or scrimmages, and I could be eating crow in a few short months. But, there you have it. As for how the other teams will shake out, I think Franklin, Ravenwood and Dickson County will round out the top 4.

For the past couple of seasons, I've been thinking that 2008 would be the year for Brentwood to return to dominance in the region due to the young talent maturing. So, I'll just go ahead and throw it out there...my prediction is that Brentwood will be Region 6-5A champs this year and make it deep into the playoffs. Keep in mind that this is before seeing any spring practices or scrimmages, and I could be eating crow in a few short months. But, there you have it. As for how the other teams will shake out, I think Franklin, Ravenwood and Dickson County will round out the top 4.

No one seems to think Indy will do anything this year? What I saw of Brentwood last year didn't amount to much.

No one seems to think Indy will do anything this year? What I saw of Brentwood last year didn't amount to much.

My memory is that Brentwood was a mere 11 points from winning the game at Indy and having the number one seed that Indy had. A couple of ill fated turn overs by BHS and who knows Maybe BHS would have been the team getting to the big dance. And "didn't amount to much" please give me a break. What "didnt amount to much" was Indy's performance at state. With the talent they lost I think we will all see a real "not amount to much" season from Indy. I don't know how many BHS games you saw but trust me you have no idea what your talking about they had a fine season that any fan could be proud of. Listen your team went from being an easy win to a contender enjoy it but last season is over.

No one is arguing that Indy didn't have a great season last year. Let's face it, they made it to the 'Boro which is more than I can say for any other teams in the region. However, I think anyone who is familiar with 6-5A could tell you that Indy lost a lot of talent last year. Not to discount the kids that are still there, but I think there were some key losses and holes that will be tough to fill. Surely you can agree with that.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you don't know too much about Brentwood football. Let me clue you in on something. What you saw last year may not have looked like much (especially in the shadow of great Bruin teams that have come before), but what it was is actually quite phenomenal. Maybe what you couldn't see was the horrible mismanagement of the offense and how the Bruin defense, nonetheless, held up and held off many opponents (I should note here that we will be losing few, if any, key defensive players). Maybe what you couldn't see was how the offense still managed to put points on the board even when it seemed like the plan (via the playcalling) was to do exactly the opposite. Maybe what you saw was a team that didn't know who would be starting at what positions until week 1 of the season or who would be at qb until even later in the season. I don't expect you to know all of this as an outsider. But I thought you should know so you could give credit where credit is due...those kids. They played their hearts out and I was very proud of them each week given the circumstances being what they were. As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't know what the future holds. All I have is my little prediction. Come fall, we'll see how it all plays out. I, for one, can't wait!

As long as Ron Crawford is there, Brentwood will have a stout defense.

Now the offense. . . is in dire need of some playmakers to step up. Need desperately to develop a passing game (which is incredible to think when the word "Brentwood" pops up). And that starts at QB and goes through to the WR position. That was the one glaring problem Bruins had last season.

I don't think the play-calling there last season was anything more than a reflection of the limited nature of the skill positions. You didn't have a Whittemore throwing to a Davenport, or a McCurdy throwing to a Heimerdinger, or have an Everson, or a Lifsey, or a Smith, or a Fugate rumbling down the field. You did the best you could with what you had. Depending on personnel (as a learned person analyzed the situation there), the Bruins will either be like Florida or like Air Force each season.

If the Bruins can develop some offensive firepower, they'll go far. If they have what they had last year, it will be a dog-fight with the top teams in the region.

Any team breaking in a new QB will have challenges competing for the top spot.

The only sure thing you can count on this upcoming season is that Clarksville NE is going to get there lights put out each week again this year.

Not having a coach this late in the season borders on administrative malfeasance. They are not even giving their kids a chance to be competititve.