DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was a rebuilding year for the tribe. They saw their streak of 6 straight conference championships come to an end. Will this be the year that a new streak begins? Will Crawford be the starting QB or does he have any serious competition?

This team will be much better than last year. Not loaded, but better. Could be even better had some more Jrs received playing time when score warrented subs. Team lacks overall team speed. A couple of fast players, but not enough roadrunners in skill positions. One thing for sure, drop the no huddle and play more than 15 kids! If spring practice is held last 2 weeks of school, good chance baseball will be over and Clark will have Crawford for spring practice. Crawford made some good plays at WR last year, but given the opportunity to be QB 100% should help his play at QB. The real question will be how Clark plays Sylvester. Possibly move him to WR and keep Chris S at tailback? Lawson needs to be FB and carry the load when needed. As always, who comes out for spring practice and who is still around come fall plays a big part. Had several last year that could have made an impact, but didnt last. Dont look to see any streaks for several years.

This team will be much better than last year. Not loaded, but better. Could be even better had some more Jrs received playing time when score warrented subs. Team lacks overall team speed. A couple of fast players, but not enough roadrunners in skill positions. One thing for sure, drop the no huddle and play more than 15 kids! If spring practice is held last 2 weeks of school, good chance baseball will be over and Clark will have Crawford for spring practice. Crawford made some good plays at WR last year, but given the opportunity to be QB 100% should help his play at QB. The real question will be how Clark plays Sylvester. Possibly move him to WR and keep Chris S at tailback? Lawson needs to be FB and carry the load when needed. As always, who comes out for spring practice and who is still around come fall plays a big part. Had several last year that could have made an impact, but didnt last. Dont look to see any streaks for several years.

DBWD

Hope all is well in Kingsport.. The long trip up the interstate will be upon the Gov followers before we know it. Look foward to the game. As of late it has turned into regular event and is a good opportunity for both teams to see how they stack up with the rest of the regions. Do you know if the scedule continues past this year? I here that the TSSAA wil be redo the classifications in 2009. How will that affect region one? Good luck in the comming year. (except when you play us..... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> )

tpoole12

DBWD

Hope all is well in Kingsport.. The long trip up the interstate will be upon the Gov followers before we know it. Look foward to the game. As of late it has turned into regular event and is a good opportunity for both teams to see how they stack up with the rest of the regions. Do you know if the scedule continues past this year? I here that the TSSAA wil be redo the classifications in 2009. How will that affect region one? Good luck in the comming year. (except when you play us..... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> )

tpoole12

Good to hear from you Govenor fan. I agree about the matchup with you guys, it should continue. A friend of mine who now lives here in Kingsport is a WB grad, so we get to have some friendly sparring come gametime. From what he tells me, the WB program has come a long way since the time he was there (early 80's). As far as scheduling, it's never published more than 1 season ahead, so I'm not sure. If this reclassification does take place, I assume Maryville will be going 5A and whichever conference they end up in will have their hands full.

D-B's season last year started with an out of sync wintertime spring practice. Those closer to the program than I can comment on the effectiveness of that decision, but it seemed strange and the Tribe got off to a slow start against a tough schedule. They finished strong as the schedule got easier and Science Hill collapsed (avoiding a closing loss which I will admit I thought would happen before the season started). There really is no reason D-B should not play more people. I am sure that is a source of great frustration to kids and parents. However, it is hard to argue with success.

Overall, I see more of the same - playoff team in RI-5A, probably 1st or 2nd, 2nd round playoff exit, great band, local teams won't play them because of numbers, not enough talent to break through to State this year. Their best recent chance for a title was '06 and ended in an unexpected early exit; another state run will occur in a year or two as the running game improves. Playoff football needs a running game. I think I know the call (and outcome) against W-B on the goal line in '06 if Sensibaugh is in the backfield.

D-B's season last year started with an out of sync wintertime spring practice. Those closer to the program than I can comment on the effectiveness of that decision, but it seemed strange and the Tribe got off to a slow start against a tough schedule. They finished strong as the schedule got easier and Science Hill collapsed (avoiding a closing loss which I will admit I thought would happen before the season started). There really is no reason D-B should not play more people. I am sure that is a source of great frustration to kids and parents. However, it is hard to argue with success.

Overall, I see more of the same - playoff team in RI-5A, probably 1st or 2nd, 2nd round playoff exit, great band, local teams won't play them because of numbers, not enough talent to break through to State this year. Their best recent chance for a title was '06 and ended in an unexpected early exit; another state run will occur in a year or two as the running game improves. Playoff football needs a running game. I think I know the call (and outcome) against W-B on the goal line in '06 if Sensibaugh is in the backfield.

Don't you think the reason the coaching staff didn't play as many in '07 was because they just didn't have the opportunity due to so many close games? I know there were a number of blowout games in '06 and I can remember seeing virtually the entire 2nd string (including Brittany Brewster) on the field late in most of those games. But I agree with you about how important experience is. Just look at the struggles of this young baseball team. Hopefully, they are learning some lessons that will pay off next year.

DB is always tough & always in the spotlight. Why is it that they can not win a state title in a play-off format? I know that they are the winningest high school football program in the state, but this is a what have you done for me lately world in which we live! When if ever is it going to happen?

Don't you think the reason the coaching staff didn't play as many in '07 was because they just didn't have the opportunity due to so many close games? I know there were a number of blowout games in '06 and I can remember seeing virtually the entire 2nd string (including Brittany Brewster) on the field late in most of those games. But I agree with you about how important experience is. Just look at the struggles of this young baseball team. Hopefully, they are learning some lessons that will pay off next year.

They did not have as many chances as in prior years, but they did have some and GC did not play enough kids to get ready for this year. One example was Knox Karns. DB is up 35-0 after the opening series of the second half. The clock was no longer stopped and 2nd string did not see action until the last of the 4th. Even though some scores may not have allowed easy substitution, DB had plenty of opportunities to get some players some experience ie special teams. If Texas A&M for years used walk ons for their kick off team, DB could have played more players to be ready this year. As far as baseball, it is going to take more than experience or a "field to practice on" to pay off next year or years to come. They have a "BIG" problem up there and it is time for him to go. Would you ever have thought there would not be a topic on DB baseball during bball season or even a post in over a week? A true sign of the times.

They did not have as many chances as in prior years, but they did have some and GC did not play enough kids to get ready for this year. One example was Knox Karns. DB is up 35-0 after the opening series of the second half. The clock was no longer stopped and 2nd string did not see action until the last of the 4th. Even though some scores may not have allowed easy substitution, DB had plenty of opportunities to get some players some experience ie special teams. If Texas A&M for years used walk ons for their kick off team, DB could have played more players to be ready this year. As far as baseball, it is going to take more than experience or a "field to practice on" to pay off next year or years to come. They have a "BIG" problem up there and it is time for him to go. Would you ever have thought there would not be a topic on DB baseball during bball season or even a post in over a week? A true sign of the times.

I have been reluctant to be critical of Coach Ritz in the twilight of his career. He does have a tremendous number of victories (including state championships at North) under his belt, but it kinda seems like he has lost a little of the fire in his belly that he had in years past. At the rate they are going with the new field, all their games this year are gonna be away from J Fred. I guess we'll just have to endure until football season rolls back around.

DB is always tough & always in the spotlight. Why is it that they can not win a state title in a play-off format? I know that they are the winningest high school football program in the state, but this is a what have you done for me lately world in which we live! When if ever is it going to happen?

That is the $64K question. I can remember numerous times when they were just one play away here or there that could have put them over the top, but for whatever reason, fate was not on their side. It's not been a question of having enough talent. In most years they have the talent level to play with anyone in the state. My guess is sometime when nobody expects it, they will win one.

While margin of victory was less last year, I think GC's philosophy of playing only the top 15 has been in effect for many years. Just ask previous team players and parents. Again, hard to argue with success. Also the relative dominance of D-B over local teams and current classification alignment makes it hard to schedule JV games.