DB FOOTBALL '08

DBTeepee

You never read one of my posts saying we would have beaten you. The streak speaks for itself. Until we beat you, we can't say anything about coulda shoulda woulda. I call it like I see it. Agree with me or not, I could care less. My only beef with D-Bers is their arrogance. Not all, but a lot of them. To me, they have absolutely nothing to be arrogant about. Sure D-B has the most wins, blah blah blah, but it's because they've been around for so long. They probably rank pretty high in losses too. I'm sure someone can look it up. IMO teams that win state championships can be cocky. Just like you've said over and over, what good would it do us to brag about beating up on the Unicoi's, Johnson's, North's, etc. Until we can beat Maryville, it doesn't mean anything. Again, my opinion, agree or not, who cares.

700-208-29

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo DBT. I've said for years, D-B's feeder system stinks. Some scolded me for saying so, but it's true.

What really stinks is the fact that south only had 37 yrds. total offense in the 44-0 beatdown that DB gave them in '06. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />37 YARDS TOTAL OFFENSE!

Bingo DBT. I've said for years, D-B's feeder system stinks. Some scolded me for saying so, but it's true.

I don't think I'd go so far as to say that it stinks, but I know there is room for improvement. My son played Boys Club football for 2 years and had a competent coach. But I think we all can learn volumes from RebelRon's post. I am anxious for the new KPT. facilities to open and see if it rejuvinates enthusiasm for youth sports in KPT.

You never read one of my posts saying we would have beaten you. The streak speaks for itself. Until we beat you, we can't say anything about coulda shoulda woulda. I call it like I see it. Agree with me or not, I could care less. My only beef with D-Bers is their arrogance. Not all, but a lot of them. To me, they have absolutely nothing to be arrogant about. Sure D-B has the most wins, blah blah blah, but it's because they've been around for so long. They probably rank pretty high in losses too. I'm sure someone can look it up. IMO teams that win state championships can be cocky. Just like you've said over and over, what good would it do us to brag about beating up on the Unicoi's, Johnson's, North's, etc. Until we can beat Maryville, it doesn't mean anything. Again, my opinion, agree or not, who cares.

Obviously you care or you wouldn't even be on here. So DB has absolutely nothing to brag about? Believe me, if South had 700 wins you would sure be proud of that. But I disagree with you (of course), the school has much to be proud of and brag about. You can say that they have won more because they have played more (and that is a fact) but the truth is they have won over 76% of there games and as you can see they are #1 in wins as well as the fewest losses of the top 5. DB has 6 state titles recognized by the TSSAA in it's record book. Fact. I suggest you nag the TSSAA if you want that changed.

All-Time Wins (Top 5)

1. Dobyns-Bennett (1921): 700-208-28 .763

2. Montgomery Bell Academy (1899): 650-310-46 .669

3. Maryville (1926): 644-213-33 .742

4. Baylor (1908): 634-275-39 .689

5. McCallie (1905): 585-320-44 .640

Listen I hate Notre Dame as much as you hate DB and they have been given a lot of special treatment through the years (including many national championships that, hey!, they didn't actually win on the field...hmmm). But if you've ever witnessed in person a Notre Dame game and see fans come from every corner of the country, and watch the band do its thing marching into the stadium, and the leprechaun, and Amazing Grace at half time on the bagpipes, etc. you realize this is who they are and it is really special (send chills down you). Not to mention Rudy. Sometimes we get caught up in the destination and don't enjoy the journey.

FYI: DB doesn't play the Unicois and Norths in football. But hey nice try.

There are quotes on here about the WHCB jumping ship and others emailing the radio station to complain. You are going in the wrong direction. Tom made the move to WHCB because it was the right move professionally. His morning show was relegated to WGOC (Citadel gave away the rights to WKIN). When he signed on with 91.5 he felt that DB would be happy because of the increased coverage area. You would be able to literally sit in the stands in Jeff Co. and listen to the DB broadcast... but DB balked. The AD felt Tom went over his head. Egos got in the way. Citadel made it seem like they were being shortchanged by Tom when in reality Citadel has always kept DB on the back burner with 5000 watts. One can??™t hear the station at night past John B Dennis. Citadel may tell you different but they have a station that touts itself as the Sports Monster but it broadcasts Tennessee High Football over SHHS and DB. That makes no sense, especially when they had DB in the fold. The winningest HS FB program and I think BB program in the state but you put them on the smaller station? Tom went to the Citadel brass to cover the DB-Farragut playoff game in 2007 (since Tennessee High was finished in Football) on the Monster but they declined and went with South-Maryville. You can make your own conclusion as to the love at Citadel for Dobyns-Bennett.

It boils down to this. Being a public school, DB cannot say who can and can??™t broadcast their games. With Tom's move it puts 3, sometimes 4 stations providing coverage since Citadel wants to be a player. What a problem to have. However, DB does control the the press box. So, who gets to use the press box? No one will take a stand. Another dilemma is an away game, who gets to do what at away games? Most press boxes don??™t have enough room for one visiting station, let alone three. Ever been to Campbell County ? There is a lot of animosity and jealousy of DB at other schools and no one was going to be sympathetic to three stations for DB. One, sometimes two, will be left out. Tom, as do the others, has advertisers. If he doesn??™t get to the visiting stadium by 2pm for a 7.30pm kickoff he could be out in the cold, literally. The last thing an AD wants to do on a Friday night is referee bickering stations representing the other team. And, if you don??™t do the games, you owe your advertisers.

Tom is 3 time AP broadcaster of the year from covering DB sports. He is a good game announcer. I dare say only Mike Keith might be a bit better and he does the Titans. He is much better than Kesling. You can??™t compare WKPT or WGOC's announcers to Tom. Lord that just isn??™t fair. He has been offered college gigs but stays in the area because of his youngest child and his wife. Quite frankly, he is the best live game announcer in East Tennessee and he was doing DB.

Tom did more than the other announcers as he promoted the kids at DB. He was up at 7am on Saturday after a game on Friday night doing the Band Fruit Sale or he would cover a wrestling match or a volleyball game or Robinson vs. Sevier. He covered the band's 9/11 tribute. He would interview the band boosters at halftime or the track coach to help that coach promote his or her sport. He was all about the kids and promoting the school. Why would he just "jump ship?"

What South gets is a guy who will promote the teams and the kids. He will give them 100%. The fans will get a quality broadcast on a quality station. Tom is turning his back on no one. But he is turning the page in his career. Tom is a pro and he keeps his eye on the ultimate prize. He knew three stations could be an issue but he had to do what was right for him in the big picture with his morning show. DB could have come out and said these are the one or two announcers we will allow in the booth. They didn??™t. Maybe they couldn??™t. But you would think that covering a team for 17+ years providing nothing but quality coverage for the kids would build equity and loyalty. Tom interpreted the lack of response and became pro-active in his approach to his future. He had to as he has advertisers to think about. You must sell advertising now for the fall season. Some fans have written the station and called him a traitor and the like but it isn??™t that at all. Not even close. To think he or the station is jumping ship just isn't the true story. Wes Moricle would not have let this happen.

I agree 100%. I'm not sure Cary truly understands the program or knows what is best for the school. Wes was a DB guy who understood what mattered to the school and fans and he and Tom are great friends. I think he would have found a way.

Okay, let me play a while here...first off, Tom wasn't relegated to anything...the only change from WKIN to WGOC is the call letters, which from a corporate thought playing Grand Old Country music, fits well with WGOC...the signal and call letters were bought from JT Parker...same 1320 frequency as WKIN and the same Watts of power...no relegation...his career has been always been business decisions, as careers are for most...this is another business decision, nothing emotional...South should be able to support a radio broadcast without any difficulty...the playoff game is another matter, but my guess is: being that D-B had been on AM1320 for 20 plus years that is where the playoff game(s) would be and another business decision was made to put the South game on a station that at the time didn't have a playoff game to broadcast...I remember when I was with WKPT-AM (many moons ago), we did a couple of playoff games of other schools, as well (before Holston Valley Broadcasting expanded into Tennessee High and Science Hill games)...It is business...sometimes there are those of us with emotional ties that get to do the broadcasting (and/or writing), but for the actual "voices", the stations - it is a business...and it is good business to showcase and highlight high school student athletes; as Coach Clark has said "where else can you go to see 500 young people attempting to be great on a Friday night."

2nd...Maryville functions in the true team concept, highlighting and potentially featuring their top talent, but not to the detriment of the entire team...I believe we do have some coaches who attempt to function that way in NET, but haven't been able to totally institute what they have in Maryville...The best in NET can and do compete with the best from Knoxville, but not yet with Maryville...

This should be a good year for NET football with a lot of teams with a lot to prove...I look forward to watching.

Roll Tribe Roll

Okay, let me play a while here...first off, Tom wasn't relegated to anything...the only change from WKIN to WGOC is the call letters, which from a corporate thought playing Grand Old Country music, fits well with WGOC...the signal and call letters were bought from JT Parker...same 1320 frequency as WKIN and the same Watts of power...no relegation...his career has been always been business decisions, as careers are for most...this is another business decision, nothing emotional...South should be able to support a radio broadcast without any difficulty...

2nd...Maryville functions in the true team concept, highlighting and potentially featuring their top talent, but not to the detriment of the entire team...I believe we do have some coaches who attempt to function that way in NET, buthaven't been able to totally institute what they have in Maryville...The best in NET can and do compete with the best from Knoxville, but not yet with Maryville...

This should be a good year for NET football with a lot of teams with a lot to prove...I look forward to watching.

Roll Tribe Roll

Skunk

Will you be calling football?

Yes I will...hope that is okay

Roll Tribe Roll

Come on now. With all due respect, it was not intended as a knock on your broadcast as you were not doing games until later in the year. This was referring to my thoughts on a situation that changed suddenly after almost 20 years. Say what you will, but Citadel does a disservice to DB (and yourself) by never promoting the WGOC broadcasts as they did before the invention of the Sports Monster. I personally have contacted several times to complain that they do not mention there other stations games. I actually listened to the 1320 basketball and baseball broadcasts when you picked it up and learned much about DB athletics. When the AM signal powers down however I can't pick you up...any prospects on FM? I also loved the TV broadcast of the DB/Science Hill basketball game. Will you be doing a coaches show with the G man?

Of course it does. To you everything that sits on the other side of Hammond Bridge stinks.

Is it perfect? By no means, but the CHAC hasn't exactly re-created the Maryville program over at Pactolus.

Great line!

I love "Maryville at Pactolus".

I may change all my references of SSHS to MaP.