Sullivan South

I don't mean to try to speak for Bud, but what I believe he is saying is that there is a distinct and quantifiable difference between the talent level found in the more urban areas compared to what is found in more rural schools like those found in the Mountain Lakes and Five Rivers conferences. That's not meant to be a slap at anybody. But if you look at the history of state champions at the 4A and 5A level in the last two decades, notice where the vast majority of the schools are located. They are located inside the cities of Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Murfreesboro, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and even Maryville and Sevierville. If you don't believe me, check for yourself. As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

TeePee,

I know where most state champions reside in 4a and 5a. The answer is anywhere but northeast tn. In fact, since the split to 5 classes in 93 the only team to win 5a north of Chattanooga was Sevier County. The only team from Northeast TN to even sniff a championship was MoWest. My point is this, I realize RebelRedNeck likes to stir the pot, I don't agree with what he says, and he envokes responses such as Bud's however Bud said South will NEVER get past the Knoxville teams. Granted we haven't proven we can, but you can't say we never will. That would be like me saying D-B will never make it to a Championship game. Would it surprise you to know that since the split to 5 classes, D-B has played in 3 semi-final games and guess what South has played in 2? We can't determine who is in our conference. We could play up to 5a but that would be suicide considering our enrollement. The worst thing the TSSAA did was split to 5 classes. I admire and respect the tradition that D-B has and brings, however I get real tired of being told we (South) can't, when in reality, there is NO tri-cities area school that has other than THS over 30 years ago. We all should be encouraging and challenging each other to get better and guess what if South is put out in the playoffs come fall and D-B is still playing you will find my butt in the bleachers cheering on the Indians.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TeePee,

I know where most state champions reside in 4a and 5a. The answer is anywhere but northeast tn. In fact, since the split to 5 classes in 93 the only team to win 5a north of Chattanooga was Sevier County. The only team from Northeast TN to even sniff a championship was MoWest. My point is this, I realize RebelRedNeck likes to stir the pot, I don't agree with what he says, and he envokes responses such as Bud's however Bud said South will NEVER get past the Knoxville teams. Granted we haven't proven we can, but you can't say we never will. That would be like me saying D-B will never make it to a Championship game. Would it surprise you to know that since the split to 5 classes, D-B has played in 3 semi-final games and guess what South has played in 2? We can't determine who is in our conference. We could play up to 5a but that would be suicide considering our enrollement. The worst thing the TSSAA did was split to 5 classes. I admire and respect the tradition that D-B has and brings, however I get real tired of being told we (South) can't, when in reality, there is NO tri-cities area school that has other than THS over 30 years ago. We all should be encouraging and challenging each other to get better and guess what if South is put out in the playoffs come fall and D-B is still playing you will find my butt in the bleachers cheering on the Indians.

I think if you review any of my previous posts you will find that I never used the word "can't" regarding South making it to Murfreesboro. Quite frankly, I think they would have made it this year had Maryville been playing in 5A. But respect is a 2-way street. I can still remember picking up my daughter after school one Friday afternoon when she was a Freshman. It was the day of the South game. I had to try to explain to my 14-year old why pickups with Rebel flags were driving violently through her school parking lot blowing their horns and yelling obscenities out their windows. I'll never forget that ugly scene. I can tell by your posts that you are not the type of guy who condones that sort of thing. But instances like that tend to stick in your memory. For that reason, perhaps it is good for these two schools not to play each other for several more years.

I think if you review any of my previous posts you will find that I never used the word "can't" regarding South making it to Murfreesboro. Quite frankly, I think they would have made it this year had Maryville been playing in 5A. But respect is a 2-way street. I can still remember picking up my daughter after school one Friday afternoon when she was a Freshman. It was the day of the South game. I had to try to explain to my 14-year old why pickups with Rebel flags were driving violently through her school parking lot blowing their horns and yelling obscenities out their windows. I'll never forget that ugly scene. I can tell by your posts that you are not the type of guy who condones that sort of thing. But instances like that tend to stick in your memory. For that reason, perhaps it is good for these two schools not to play each other for several more years.

Your right I do not condone that stuff, however please don't think that type of stuff didn't go on by Both sides. I am on the fence with the game. I miss it because it was fun, even thou we were on the losing end way too many times, however I realize it was becoming way too heated and in reality did need to take some time off. By the way, I wasn't referring to you saying we "can't". I appreciate your posts!

TeePee,

Now you are talking! I apologize if I get a bit defensive about my team, but sometimes people get you going on these boards. The world would be perfect if we all had the mindset of your above post. I take back what I said about South never making it past Knoxville because I know they can. It is frustrating to me that some South fans don't realize that the difference in 4A and 5A puts DB up against much stiffer teams early in the playoffs as compared to 4A. As I said, region 1 5A reaches pretty far into Knoxville, Region 1 4A and Region 2 4A don't get to those tough areas quite as quick in the playoffs. DB has to contend with Knoxville and Chattanooga teams right off the bat, then Nashville and Murfreesboro are no joke. It is just frustrating when folks that don't know football think that DB losing in the second is any even comparable to South losing in the second round because it just ain't the same.

Anyways, I agree that all teams in our area are lacking something. I can't put my finger on it. I live in Nashville now and I watch all the best local privates and publics. One thing I do see here is the speed, there is much more of it here. Also the size, I don't know what they eat around here. It also seems that these teams around me have been attending more football and/or passing camps. I think in NE TN that trend has picked up so that is great. Then, the fact that these great teams play each other all season long certainly helps raise their ability. DB is usually pretty dominate in the Tri Cities area. Around Nashville they might be the best once every 6 years. The coaching here is a step above as well. The Titans help many teams in the area. The private school scene here is something the Tri Cities knows nothing about. They attract talent and they are very well coached and have all the basics down that can make a big difference.

But, on the flip side worry not my fellow East TN friends. The one area, and the most important area we dominate the rest of the state in is pride and attendance. I have been to the "so called" largest area rivalries. Be it Brentwood vs Franklin or MBA vs BA. The attendance to these big game is weak compared to NE TN big games. We are talking 6,000 at the max. DB vs South in 2006 had well over 14,000. My middle TN friend that came was amazed at the crowd. He thought it was a college game.

Oh and one more hurdle NE TN needs to get over. When we get to a big playoff game we have to get over the glitz and hype of it all. DB has had 2 teams that should have won state in the past 10 years. They get to the best team in the semis and freak. Kids are puking and thrown out of their normal game because they are star struck. The same thing happened to South last year against Maryville. South shoulda been closer. DB vs Riverdale in the semis in 2002; DB beat them all over the field statistically but had 6 or 7 turnovers and lost by 9. The worst was one TD was even a give me from DB to Riverdale as the DB return man did not totally down (knee) the ball and the DB return team walks off the field for the DB offense to take the field and an alert Riverdale player picked up the ball and waltzed in untouched for a score. Nobody on the field or in the stands realized it. Such a bad mistake. Red Bank in 2000 the #6 in the nation team with Gerald Riggs was just as bad. All other games in the semis had been cancelled due to rain. It was the home teams call. DB was a passing team with a scat back. Red Bank pounded it put with Riggs. So, you guessed it Red Bank knew the only way to beat DB was in a down pour because DB coulld not pass as well and the scat back would have a hard time cutting. Riggs on the other had, was good for 4 or 5 yard a carry. The worst conditions I have ever seen at any game at any level with inches of standing water on the field. Red Bank won in a close one and destroyed their championship game opponent. Every time DB has that special team, it seems luck is against them. 1998, 2000, 2002 were all semi final teams that could have done it. I think 2004 was the year that could have done it as well and they were upset in the quarters. Anyways, one day we will get it done.

One more note, sorry to ramble. Would it be possible to gather signatures of those that support the return of a DB vs South game? Could we propose that any opposing student found on the other school's campus faces suspension to bring some bite to the admin's bark? The money made at this game is just too much to ignore. Increase police by a few and inform the students ahead of time that any students caught after school at the other school are kicked out for a day. Example: If South played DB at DB, the South admin goes to DB before South is out for the day. All students are warned ahead of time. Police are there on standy by. South Admin can indentify any students breaking rules and the opposite is holds true if DB plays at South. I mean DB and South are intense rivals, but at some Nashville and Memphis city schools people get shot. So, I think we could manage it if we plan well. Lets, do it! South get it started. DB do the same!

Now you are talking! I apologize if I get a bit defensive about my team, but sometimes people get you going on these boards. The world would be perfect if we all had the mindset of your above post. I take back what I said about South never making it past Knoxville because I know they can. It is frustrating to me that some South fans don't realize that the difference in 4A and 5A puts DB up against much stiffer teams early in the playoffs as compared to 4A. As I said, region 1 5A reaches pretty far into Knoxville, Region 1 4A and Region 2 4A don't get to those tough areas quite as quick in the playoffs. DB has to contend with Knoxville and Chattanooga teams right off the bat, then Nashville and Murfreesboro are no joke. It is just frustrating when folks that don't know football think that DB losing in the second is any even comparable to South losing in the second round because it just ain't the same.

Anyways, I agree that all teams in our area are lacking something. I can't put my finger on it. I live in Nashville now and I watch all the best local privates and publics. One thing I do see here is the speed, there is much more of it here. Also the size, I don't know what they eat around here. It also seems that these teams around me have been attending more football and/or passing camps. I think in NE TN that trend has picked up so that is great. Then, the fact that these great teams play each other all season long certainly helps raise their ability. DB is usually pretty dominate in the Tri Cities area. Around Nashville they might be the best once every 6 years. The coaching here is a step above as well. The Titans help many teams in the area. The private school scene here is something the Tri Cities knows nothing about. They attract talent and they are very well coached and have all the basics down that can make a big difference.

But, on the flip side worry not my fellow East TN friends. The one area, and the most important area we dominate the rest of the state in is pride and attendance. I have been to the "so called" largest area rivalries. Be it Brentwood vs Franklin or MBA vs BA. The attendance to these big game is weak compared to NE TN big games. We are talking 6,000 at the max. DB vs South in 2006 had well over 14,000. My middle TN friend that came was amazed at the crowd. He thought it was a college game.

Oh and one more hurdle NE TN needs to get over. When we get to a big playoff game we have to get over the glitz and hype of it all. DB has had 2 teams that should have won state in the past 10 years. They get to the best team in the semis and freak. Kids are puking and thrown out of their normal game because they are star struck. The same thing happened to South last year against Maryville. South shoulda been closer. DB vs Riverdale in the semis in 2002; DB beat them all over the field statistically but had 6 or 7 turnovers and lost by 9. The worst was one TD was even a give me from DB to Riverdale as the DB return man did not totally down (knee) the ball and the DB return team walks off the field for the DB offense to take the field and an alert Riverdale player picked up the ball and waltzed in untouched for a score. Nobody on the field or in the stands realized it. Such a bad mistake. Red Bank in 2000 the #6 in the nation team with Gerald Riggs was just as bad. All other games in the semis had been cancelled due to rain. It was the home teams call. DB was a passing team with a scat back. Red Bank pounded it put with Riggs. So, you guessed it Red Bank knew the only way to beat DB was in a down pour because DB coulld not pass as well and the scat back would have a hard time cutting. Riggs on the other had, was good for 4 or 5 yard a carry. The worst conditions I have ever seen at any game at any level with inches of standing water on the field. Red Bank won in a close one and destroyed their championship game opponent. Every time DB has that special team, it seems luck is against them. 1998, 2000, 2002 were all semi final teams that could have done it. I think 2004 was the year that could have done it as well and they were upset in the quarters. Anyways, one day we will get it done.

One more note, sorry to ramble. Would it be possible to gather signatures of those that support the return of a DB vs South game? Could we propose that any opposing student found on the other school's campus faces suspension to bring some bite to the admin's bark? The money made at this game is just too much to ignore. Increase police by a few and inform the students ahead of time that any students caught after school at the other school are kicked out for a day. Example: If South played DB at DB, the South admin goes to DB before South is out for the day. All students are warned ahead of time. Police are there on standy by. South Admin can indentify any students breaking rules and the opposite is holds true if DB plays at South. I mean DB and South are intense rivals, but at some Nashville and Memphis city schools people get shot. So, I think we could manage it if we plan well. Lets, do it! South get it started. DB do the same!

Speaking of bitter rivalries, I can remember hearing stories from my Dad when I was a boy about fans from Ketron and Lynn View traveling across the state line to play Gate City in football. It was very common to come back to your car after the game and find it vandalized by GC fans just because you had Tennessee license plates.

Great post. I would add the D-B '06 Team as the worst underachievers of them all with the opening round debacle vs Blount. All in all, though, D-B has a great program and has been a serious state contender several times in the past 15 years. SS was a serious contender last year. I thought your comparison of state semifinals was enlightening (three vs two).

As for the rivalry, let's all let it go for a while. South needs the money worse than D-B and D-B needs a tougher non-conference schedule worse than South. If SS can split with Science Hill over the next few years and D-B can get a better early season test from W-B, let's let that happen. By the way, I think a big credit for D-B's overachieving run in the playoffs last year was not just due to Sensibaugh, but to the early season cauldron the rest of the two deep had to endure.

I was aware of some things. I did not know he wasn't coming back. But out of respect we should keep it off the boards. Family is a tough thing to deal with in public. Stacy and Hunter are both offensive intelectuals...from opposing schools of thought. There could never be room for both of them for a long period of time. They both are lacking in areas that the other posess but neither will admit it. They actually are a good match...on paper. Hunter is a master motivater and shoots from the hip. Stacy is a mathmetician a diciplinarian and calculates his moves. Of course being an Army Ranger doesn't hurt the resume'. Hunter will eventually find a home and he will be ultra-successful. The two of them at opposing schools in NET will help transform Gods Country into a hotbed of gridiron talent. After all, Hunter was the one who nursed Stacy's warriors at CHMS from '01 forward. Including the likes of Jake Hicks, Jake McMillan, Colin Sandidge, Jordan Kitzmiller, JD, Paul Wingfield, Henry Ringley, Curt's crew of Spencer Sandidge, Chris Collins, Matthew Crowe, Seth Johnson, Blake Rasnake, the Spin Dr's. Crew of Hunter Beedle, Kaleb Kitzmiller, Seth Watterson, Ty Garvin, TJ Blanken and a number of people I left out for various reasons.

In my view Hunter left CHMS too early. He should have stayed until it was considered a dynasty instead of just a tradition. In my view he can run any program in NET. Someone will get a Jewel.

Very insightful post. I have thought for some time that Seager (at Holston) and Jordan (formerly at CH) were Sullivan County's best middle school candidates for a HS head coaching job.

Great post. I would add the D-B '06 Team as the worst underachievers of them all with the opening round debacle vs Blount. All in all, though, D-B has a great program and has been a serious state contender several times in the past 15 years. SS was a serious contender last year. I thought your comparison of state semifinals was enlightening (three vs two).

As for the rivalry, let's all let it go for a while. South needs the money worse than D-B and D-B needs a tougher non-conference schedule worse than South. If SS can split with Science Hill over the next few years and D-B can get a better early season test from W-B, let's let that happen. By the way, I think a big credit for D-B's overachieving run in the playoffs last year was not just due to Sensibaugh, but to the early season cauldron the rest of the two deep had to endure.

etfan,

In the Blount game, two D-B touchdowns were called back on plays where the video clearly shows the officials made mistakes...those two scores would have given D-B a 21-0 advantage and Blount would not have been in the game...and with the ball at the 4, first and goal...well...I didn't see that team underachieve against anyone...

South will beat the Hill and Blount has lot a lot from the past two years, including their coach (for this year)...

Good luck, hope everyone stays healthy.

Roll Tribe Roll

Bud

DB only lost the '02 semi by 5 to Riverdale. 14-9

etfan,

In the Blount game, two D-B touchdowns were called back on plays where the video clearly shows the officials made mistakes...those two scores would have given D-B a 21-0 advantage and Blount would not have been in the game...and with the ball at the 4, first and goal...well...I didn't see that team underachieve against anyone...

South will beat the Hill and Blount has lot a lot from the past two years, including their coach (for this year)...

Good luck, hope everyone stays healthy.

Roll Tribe Roll

Skunk

You talking about Meadows? I hadn't heard anything about this