Travel ball tournament question

I also see your point...but as far as I'm concerned, we are assembling together as a team worshipping and praying to the same God that others are worshipping and praying to..we are just on the softball field instead of our church. Since we make it a point to take time out to praise the Lord I think that is sending the message that He is important and that it is something that needs to be done no matter what we are doing or where we might be. It would be great for tournaments to take that in to account but not all will (or can) so we do the best we can without jeopardizing our kid's spiritual well-being. But, I also think that everyone should do what their convictions move them to do...the only thing is not all tournament directors are moved by the same convictions.

Less we not forget. Where one or two are gathered in my name there I will be also. We could do more good on softball field by showing our kids how to act away from church, than being in one sometimes. we also have devo's at field a they are priceless, because we let our girls be involved. Just a thought!!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a minister I think something better should be done about games on Sunday instead of taking these girls out of church. It is good that a service is held for the girls. That is better than nothing but nothing like being at church. I'm sure there is a lot of girls that would like to play but not willing to miss church for it. Nothing should come before church. I'm a hugh sports fan but I still don't think it is right to play on Sunday. I'd like to see my daughter try out for a travel team but I wouldn't get to she her on these Sunday games. My church would run me off if I missed church on Sunday's to go to a ballgame. I'd like to go to a Titans game sometime but then there's the missing church issue again. Sports is good for the girls but shouldn't come before God. Just my opinion.

I agree that Sunday should be a sacred day. Finishing the tournament on Saturday should not be an issue. Better for the tournament to finish at midnight then to continue into Sunday morning. It seems like it has gotten this way with all sports due to the fact that all sports seem to require kids to play all year long. The problem is that things have gotten too demanding. This should be an easy fix. With a 20-25 team tournament you can finish late Saturday night and I gurantee you can still make your money.

I do agree that the ministry at the field is better than nothing and I'm sure God is happy that this happens but my opinion is that God would rather us be at Church than at the field. As mentioned, people could start to think that they could miss every Sunday and simply substitute prayer and a reading to replace it.

• 2 months later...

I agree with the last poster, i think it would be better to finish saturday night and why not even start thursday night and play friday and saturday. what is the difference from missing work than missing church?? They are both important, yet almost eveyone on a travel team chooses to miss sunday worship than miss a day at work on thurday. My girlfriend plays on a SB travel team and so far they have played 3 tournamenent and every single weekend they have had games on sunday starting at 9 and finishing around 5. it is true that some churches start earlier and some later to make room for these people, but they are few, just like one poster said. i believe all governing bodies of these travel teams sound step in and make a rule or statue about playing on sunday. money should be beside the point in all of this.

I also believe that any member of the Lords Church should be ashamed for letting it get this far and im telling this to myself, i have missed church to see a ball game and i am ashamed of myself. Even though I am 17, I still believe that if only a small group would appeal to a governing body that it would be taken seriously.

The only reason these tournaments do not finish on Saturday is to make more money. Even though most offer a weekend pass and the majority of the parents and spectators buy the weekend pass, they still want to make concession money for two days. Not to mention the T-shirt vendors and the guys selling you the expensive photos of little Susie swinging the bat. It has become a big business. Besides the number one complaint of most parents that this is being done during church hours there is also the cost of gas that should be considered. When an entire team has to make that long trip back on the second day for what is often only one game, it gets pretty ridiculous. The majority of teams coming back to play on Sunday are in the loser's bracket now.

In the early days, you were rewarded for winning your pool by only playing perhaps one game then coming back on Sunday refreshed and ready to play. They would play some loser bracket games on Saturday and not play only Winner's bracket games. Now with the money driven directors, they'll send you home if you lose your first game at 3:00 on Saturday and force you to come back on Sunday. If you happen to be one of the better teams, you are forced to play sometimes late into the night or until you eventually pick up a loss. I played in one tournament this year which we were forced to play three elimination games with the last one beginning at 10:00 Saturday night. We then had to come back Sunday morning and play a team which had loss their first game of elimination and went home at 4:00 Saturday afternoon. They were well rested and ready to play. Until we as Travel Coaches stand up and say enough is enough, nothing will change.

• 3 weeks later...

The money problem can be solved with a weekend pass and no day pass, not a very hard problem to solve.

The bigger problem in comparing travel to high school is that the high school tournaments usually start early on Friday afternoon with a couple of pool play games and a single elimination tournament on Saturday (not all but most). Out of town teams and teams not wanting to play on Friday afternoon, or evening for that matter, is the biggest problem in using the same format. Another problem, and a close second one at that, is that teams like four game guarantees and that does not exist at the high school level.

I agree with the overall premise but I thought that I would throw out a couple of the problems faced by travel tournament directors. Schools take teams to early Friday games and parents take kids to travel tournaments.

But it is a good point!

The money problem can be solved with a weekend pass and no day pass, not a very hard problem to solve.

The bigger problem in comparing travel to high school is that the high school tournaments usually start early on Friday afternoon with a couple of pool play games and a single elimination tournament on Saturday (not all but most). Out of town teams and teams not wanting to play on Friday afternoon, or evening for that matter, is the biggest problem in using the same format. Another problem, and a close second one at that, is that teams like four game guarantees and that does not exist at the high school level.

I agree with the overall premise but I thought that I would throw out a couple of the problems faced by travel tournament directors. Schools take teams to early Friday games and parents take kids to travel tournaments.

But it is a good point!

I hate to tell you this, Tide, but it is ALL about the money! Every tournament we played in this year offered a weekend pass. I'd assume the reason for bringing everyone back on Sunday had to do with Concession money as much as anything. Several would not allow a Cooler to be brought in on Sunday. Hmmmmm..... Personally I'd prefer them make the gate 20 dollars apiece as opposed to the ridiculous formats we are seeing in these tournaments.

One good example: My team was scheduled for an 8:00 and a 10:30 pool game last Saturday. We won both, (one by forfeit) and played our first elimination bracket game at 1:00. We lost this game by one run. They never allow a team with one loss to play two games anymore, so off to the house we go. There were winners bracket games sheduled (start time) as late as 10:00 pm Saturday night. Now your basically punishing a team for winning by forcing them to play as many as five games in the same day. Some don't get back home until 1 or 2 in the morning while the ones who lost an early afternoon game are at home in bed resting. Does this make any sense at all???

Now the other side of it. We got up at 4:30 am drove all the way back up to Gallatin only to be told that they had decided to make our tournament into a single elimination.... If tournament directors had any heart at all, they would at least play the first round of the losers bracket each weekend anyway. In most cases a team that loses it's first match is one of the weaker teams in the tournament. If they were allowed to go ahead and play their second bracket game and possibly get eliminated that would make more since than forcing them to show back up at the park early on Sunday morning and in many cased play one game and turn back around and go home. Gas is too expensive and it is crazy to send a team home on Saturday at 2:00 pm and have them come back Sunday morning at 8:00 while at the same time punishing a team for continously winning by making them play at midnight.

I hate to tell you this, Tide, but it is ALL about the money! Every tournament we played in this year offered a weekend pass. I'd assume the reason for bringing everyone back on Sunday had to do with Concession money as much as anything. Several would not allow a Cooler to be brought in on Sunday. Hmmmmm..... Personally I'd prefer them make the gate 20 dollars apiece as opposed to the ridiculous formats we are seeing in these tournaments.

One good example: My team was scheduled for an 8:00 and a 10:30 pool game last Saturday. We won both, (one by forfeit) and played our first elimination bracket game at 1:00. We lost this game by one run. They never allow a team with one loss to play two games anymore, so off to the house we go. There were winners bracket games sheduled (start time) as late as 10:00 pm Saturday night. Now your basically punishing a team for winning by forcing them to play as many as five games in the same day. Some don't get back home until 1 or 2 in the morning while the ones who lost an early afternoon game are at home in bed resting. Does this make any sense at all???

Now the other side of it. We got up at 4:30 am drove all the way back up to Gallatin only to be told that they had decided to make our tournament into a single elimination.... If tournament directors had any heart at all, they would at least play the first round of the losers bracket each weekend anyway. In most cases a team that loses it's first match is one of the weaker teams in the tournament. If they were allowed to go ahead and play their second bracket game and possibly get eliminated that would make more since than forcing them to show back up at the park early on Sunday morning and in many cased play one game and turn back around and go home. Gas is too expensive and it is crazy to send a team home on Saturday at 2:00 pm and have them come back Sunday morning at 8:00 while at the same time punishing a team for continously winning by making them play at midnight.

Casacde...here is another thing that drives me crazy. ASA tourney a few years back. 1 pool game, double elimination format. We win our pool, then lose 1st game. We drop to losers bracket and play a team who had lost 2 games already but were still playing because of a 3 game gauranty. They beat us and we both go home!!!!!

That is why you have to stay in the upper bracket!!!!!

Your first paragraph makes no sense at all because the TD's have nothing to do with the concession's. They make NO money from concession sales. They have nothing to do with the "No cooler rule". So that is a mute point.

Second paragraph, ever heard the phrase "better stay in the winner's bracket". Loser's leave early and play early, winner's stay late and play late. Your "time off" was from 2:00 Saturday afternoon until Sunday morning. The winner's time off is Sunday morning. This is nothing new, it happens at EVERY tournament. That fact that you got up at 4:30 am and drove back to the park to find out it was a single elimination tournament is the TD's fault for lack of communication. Once again, you choose to play in these tournaments.

My girls love to play at night (it means they are winning). We just played in the ASA State and finished our last game at 1:20 AM. We were not scheduled to play again until 5:00 PM on Sunday......I heard no one complaining. On the other hand, when we lose early, they know they will be playing back to back to back to back early Sunday morning, I do hear a little complaining, but, they know it is THEIR fault not the TD's.

The fact that the "rules" of the tournament change without you knowing it is a direct result of the TD's lack of communication. Not all tournament's are run this way and I don't think we should lump all of the TD's into one basket.

I have run tournaments before and I find it funny for people to get on here and explain how it should be done. Go ahead and run one and see how "easy" it is.

Finish a tournament on Saturday? Better make it a 2 game guarantee (should have a lot of teams show up for that one!)

Your first paragraph makes no sense at all because the TD's have nothing to do with the concession's. They make NO money from concession sales. They have nothing to do with the "No cooler rule". So that is a mute point.

Second paragraph, ever heard the phrase "better stay in the winner's bracket". Loser's leave early and play early, winner's stay late and play late. Your "time off" was from 2:00 Saturday afternoon until Sunday morning. The winner's time off is Sunday morning. This is nothing new, it happens at EVERY tournament. That fact that you got up at 4:30 am and drove back to the park to find out it was a single elimination tournament is the TD's fault for lack of communication. Once again, you choose to play in these tournaments.

My girls love to play at night (it means they are winning). We just played in the ASA State and finished our last game at 1:20 AM. We were not scheduled to play again until 5:00 PM on Sunday......I heard no one complaining. On the other hand, when we lose early, they know they will be playing back to back to back to back early Sunday morning, I do hear a little complaining, but, they know it is THEIR fault not the TD's.

The fact that the "rules" of the tournament change without you knowing it is a direct result of the TD's lack of communication. Not all tournament's are run this way and I don't think we should lump all of the TD's into one basket.

I have run tournaments before and I find it funny for people to get on here and explain how it should be done. Go ahead and run one and see how "easy" it is.

Finish a tournament on Saturday? Better make it a 2 game guarantee (should have a lot of teams show up for that one!)

Okay, since that paragraph makes no sense to you, then you can explain the logic behind not playing ANY loser bracket games on Saturday if it isn't a money issue. I can tell you buddy, you are in the minority if you don't think that is the reason for it. Your post comes across as very arrogant.

" ever heard the phrase "better stay in the winner's bracket". Loser's leave early and play early, winner's stay late and play late."

The only reason that it is this way is because nobody has tried to change it. Are you going to tell me that your kids would rather play until 1:20 am then finish around 7 or 8 and came back the next day at 1:00 pm. Surely you don't expect anybody with half a brain to buy that??

Bottom line, Brd, I've heard MANY more people complain about the current format for these tournaments than I have heard people who like it this way. Play the first round of the loser's bracket late Saturday and let some teams be eliminated on Saturday. Punishment for losing early should be playing late on the same day. Playing Late IS NOT a reward for rational people. Pretty simple solution. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Okay, since that paragraph makes no sense to you, then you can explain the logic behind not playing ANY loser bracket games on Saturday if it isn't a money issue. I can tell you buddy, you are in the minority if you don't think that is the reason for it. Your post comes across as very arrogant.

" ever heard the phrase "better stay in the winner's bracket". Loser's leave early and play early, winner's stay late and play late."

The only reason that it is this way is because nobody has tried to change it. Are you going to tell me that your kids would rather play until 1:20 am then finish around 7 or 8 and came back the next day at 1:00 pm. Surely you don't expect anybody with half a brain to buy that??

Bottom line, Brd, I've heard MANY more people complain about the current format for these tournaments than I have heard people who like it this way. Play the first round of the loser's bracket late Saturday and let some teams be eliminated on Saturday. Punishment for losing early should be playing late on the same day. Playing Late IS NOT a reward for rational people. Pretty simple solution. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Never said it was not a money issue, if you read my post, I was referring to the concession's and how that was a non-issue. I don't believe I ever said it was not about money. I hope I am not that naive.

How in the world did my post sound arrogant?! You have never heard the phrase "better stay in the winner's bracket"?

Sure, in a perfect world I am sure my players would love to make their own schedules, but that won't happen. When rain and lightning suspend play and delay games, you just have to adjust (our game was originally at 9:30P).

I do agree that some of the teams could/should be eliminated on Saturday, but it is not as simple as you want everyone to believe. Teams that lose should have to play back to back to back on Sunday and the teams that win should have breaks...............agree? Well, if you let too many losing teams out of the tournament early, guess what.......your winner's start playing back to back. Trust me, been there done that, not as easy as you might think.

Way to go on the win at ASA STATE, I am sure yall will be heading to KY in Aug . /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />