TSSAA proposals on classification

Indian

The fact is, if something isn't done to spark local interest (small rural schools) being able to compete in football then alot of sports programs will have to be cut, because the fact is most spring sports aren't self supporting and depend on revenues from football to survive. Needless to say football revenues are down, budget is tight and if things don't get any better some programs might have to be cut. I don't see where plan B is going to change anything, the same schools will be in the same classifications playing the same schools according to enrollment. Maybe I'm missing something but thats how I see it. And while plan C will help rural schools, having (urban) schools with 100 students trying to compete with schools with enrollments of 900 or more isn't a very level playing field either. Whats the solution , I don't know, not everyone is going to be happy any way you slice it. I read a post that suggest some kids aren't working hard enough to compete, in some cases thats true but not all. When you have a team with several talented young men that work hard then you are going to beat a team with that only has mediocre talent that also works hard. So its not always a lack of effort, because when you're down you don't have parents moving to your neighborhood, or paying tuition (if you are an open zone school) so their kid can play on your team.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plan C would work if they didn't use straight A/AA basketball classification to make the urban district. Cut the smaller group at about 600, make another group from about 600-1000/1100, then use all schools 1100+ for the largest class.

Sometimes I get the feeling when changes like these are proposed, they purposely make the details as unappealing as possible to as many teams as possible, so such changed will not take effect. A few years ago when a total split was being talked about, one of the TSSAA spokesmen, maybe Carter was quoted as saying something to the effect of "This (split) could result in public school regions spread out all over the state." I think an Alcoa to Chattanooga 2A region was his example. Also there was the fact Division II sports other than football consisted of only one class along with the early thoughts football would also be one class in Division II. It was not properly related to the schools how many classes there would be, the reason I still believe was the fear of playing the Brentwood Academy type schools and the knowledge most of the schools would remain Division I as a result.