TSSAA proposals on classification

Indian

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This system would work out really well for us small rural schools. Looking at the clssifications there is a lot of parity within the A/AA classes in a rural/urban split. In AAA there is very little parity. Teams range from those small privates that are still struggling to compete with A schools to those who have been playing and competing against AAAA. Now I am not a private supporter by any means, but should David Brainerd compete against Brainerd and Hixson?

I like the Urban/Rural split idea the best but forcing small privates to compete against larger urban publics or go DII is not a good solution either. I think if they could fix this problem it would make the most people happy. I personally felt like Grace and Silverdale were equitable in talent and ability to most rural schools. Boyd was closer to Tyner in ability but they also had more numbers. Unfortunately this may be the best solution on the table.

Winning state championships in football doesn't seem to have kept OLD PIRATE (South Pitt) and Grunt (Trousdale) from complaining.

I think their winning of state titles gives their reasoning about privates having an advantage in some cases merit. If they were consistantly losing to privates and complaining then I might be more dismissive of their motives, but this not being the case makes me think they may have a perspective about the way things are that others don't have knowledge of. My few interactions with private schools has been pretty positive and I just don't see them as a whole lot different than the publics.

I have never heard of anyone claiming it was unfair for Trousdale County to be in 1a. That given, why would you expect that to happen in the future? You folks sure do play great football in Maryville, however your logic classes need a new instructor.

Oh yeah...there was a lot of complaining about TC when they won the title a few years ago.

This system would work out really well for us small rural schools. Looking at the clssifications there is a lot of parity within the A/AA classes in a rural/urban split. In AAA there is very little parity. Teams range from those small privates that are still struggling to compete with A schools to those who have been playing and competing against AAAA. Now I am not a private supporter by any means, but should David Brainerd compete against Brainerd and Hixson?

I like the Urban/Rural split idea the best but forcing small privates to compete against larger urban publics or go DII is not a good solution either. I think if they could fix this problem it would make the most people happy. I personally felt like Grace and Silverdale were equitable in talent and ability to most rural schools. Boyd was closer to Tyner in ability but they also had more numbers. Unfortunately this may be the best solution on the table.

Silverdale is already about to pass most of the area 1A schools in its overall athletic program, Grace is on its way to doing so after recently starting football and David Brainerd is showing signs of being strong. Temple is having problems except in boys' basketball but that seems to be more mismanagment than anything. They're an exception. DB would have a hard time right now in football and boys basketball but I'd say they're better in baseball and softball than Brainerd, and better in girls' basketbal than Hixson. That's a good start for a school that's only been around a couple of years.

One thing that would help the small schools like Lookout Valley is the seemingly open zone in Chattanooga. It's been stated in the basketball forum, and I knew a little about it, how Lookout Valley has had athletes who could have been playing at Howard. It helped them to the state tournament in boys' basketball and potentially could again. A team they had maybe 10 years ago could have played with any in Chattanooga, and this year Lookout Valley won one game. It shows what lack of zoning can do for a program, quickly.

Some of those schools might better off moving to Division II but I think most would do at least fairly well in the proposed class. Teams like Knoxville Grace and the Chattanooga teams mentioned earlier have come a long way quickly and I think they would be plenty competition for most opponents, in a short amount of time. Would Fulton basketball run them off the court, probably, but they would do the same against most teams. The regions with schools not fielding football teams will just have less in that sport.

I'm not sure how serious he was about people complaining about Trousdale except maybe the perception they ran up scores on the likes of Red Boiling Springs.

Are you saying that people complain about Trousdale to the same extent that you see complaints about Friendship, Boyd, Goodpasture, etc.? Or it could be I just don't understand the meaning of your post.

BTW. On the topic of the TSSAA propsals on classification if you look at Class AAA, it is the biggest mishmash of schools I have ever seen. For example, Region 1 is Austin-East, Gibbs, Carter, Knoxville Christian, Knoxville Grace, Fulton, Sullivan North and University School. Huh? Region 6 is Clarksville Academy, Nashville Christian, CPA, East Lit., Hume-Fogg (no football team), MLK (no football team) and Pearl-Cohn. Say what? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

There were many posts complaining that TC was a 2a or 3a school playing in 1a. It was the year after they moved down from 3a. I didn't say to what extent.

I think their winning of state titles gives their reasoning about privates having an advantage in some cases merit. If they were consistantly losing to privates and complaining then I might be more dismissive of their motives, but this not being the case makes me think they may have a perspective about the way things are that others don't have knowledge of. My few interactions with private schools has been pretty positive and I just don't see them as a whole lot different than the publics.

I would hate it for Sale Creek and Lookout Valley if this was the system used. Neither school is truly a Urban school. They would not be helped by this system. Copper Basin still would not be helped because they still would have to travel 2 hours for all their region games.

I would hate it for Sale Creek and Lookout Valley if this was the system used. Neither school is truly a Urban school. They would not be helped by this system. Copper Basin still would not be helped because they still would have to travel 2 hours for all their region games.

CB would play the same teams they are now...but would have more non-region teams to schedule closer to home. They could still play Sale Creek...Lookout Valley...Silverdale...etc.

Silverdale is already about to pass most of the area 1A schools in its overall athletic program, Grace is on its way to doing so after recently starting football and David Brainerd is showing signs of being strong. Temple is having problems except in boys' basketball but that seems to be more mismanagment than anything. They're an exception. DB would have a hard time right now in football and boys basketball but I'd say they're better in baseball and softball than Brainerd, and better in girls' basketbal than Hixson. That's a good start for a school that's only been around a couple of years.

One thing that would help the small schools like Lookout Valley is the seemingly open zone in Chattanooga. It's been stated in the basketball forum, and I knew a little about it, how Lookout Valley has had athletes who could have been playing at Howard. It helped them to the state tournament in boys' basketball and potentially could again. A team they had maybe 10 years ago could have played with any in Chattanooga, and this year Lookout Valley won one game. It shows what lack of zoning can do for a program, quickly.

This is a highly slanted and completely inaccurate picture. Silverdale, Grace, and DB would be CRUSHED by the area 2a and 3a schools in Football and just about everything else except Basketball and Soccer, and some of them would crush them there. And, frankly, they are not better than the 1a schools in their region. Don't slant your report about Chattanooga like you did about Knoxville by implying it would somehow be fair for Knox Grace to face Fulton. Most rediculous things I have ever seen you post.

It isn't fair to chose the sports that the small schools are the very best at and the sports that the worst public programs are the very worst at and say "See, they are about equal because they could compete here"...sure they could, but they are gonna get killed everywhere else.

The truth is you can't possibly justify pitting small privates with 200 kids and new programs against big publics. Anyone who says differently is simply dishonest. Grace vs. Fulton indeed...

Some of those schools might better off moving to Division II . . .

Moving to D2 is not a simple matter of deciding to do so. It means that you will be competing against schools that provide financial aid. Thus to remain competitive or to be competitive, your school will need to provide financial aid. Where does the money to do that come from? The vast majority of D1 schools don't have the financial resources to provide financial aid. Why is that so hard to understand?