Rules

Coach B.

I would like to thank all athletes and coaches who participate in track and field, a great sport, who comply with established rules. Unfortunately there are those who compete who feel that the rules do not apply to them. The "Rule" book, that every school and track coach should get from TSSAA/NFHS etc., has rules that apply to all meets. It becomes ridiculous when meets have to announce about halfway during the meet that athletes will not be allowed to compete with jewelry on. The coaches meeting before the meet addressed that issue along with other BASIC rules. Those who choose to stand for what is right, keep standing firm.

Coach b.

Amen Coach B. I am sure a lot of athletes think the jewelry rule and parts of the uniform rule are picky and pointless. While I might agree, they better learn in the early meets before they face a major consequence in a big meet. I have seen several athletes dq'ed from regional track meets for competing with jewelry-even though they had been warned to remove it.

I still remember a shot putter who was told to remove his state championship football ring. He told the official it was stuck and wouldn't come off. He was told, "then you are no longer in this competition." That ring came off in a matter of seconds.

Amen Coach B. I am sure a lot of athletes think the jewelry rule and parts of the uniform rule are picky and pointless. While I might agree, they better learn in the early meets before they face a major consequence in a big meet. I have seen several athletes dq'ed from regional track meets for competing with jewelry-even though they had been warned to remove it.

I still remember a shot putter who was told to remove his state championship football ring. He told the official it was stuck and wouldn't come off. He was told, "then you are no longer in this competition." That ring came off in a matter of seconds.

We were told by the Executive Director of the TSSAA, in our track rules meeting several years ago, to give the athlete an opportunity to comply with jewelry and uniform rules at the site of the events they are participating in.

Sometimes even when given they opportunity to comply they either adopt an "attitude" or won't do it and go running off to their coach (to complain about the coach running off the event) who should know the rules and enforce them before the meet even starts.

It seems to me like " me-itis" from some athletes. I will do what I want when and how I want to. nobody is going to tell me what to do. Thank God that the majority of them are rule abiding. What are the rule breaker's coaches doing? I am a H.S. coach and have been for 19 years. Get control of the "me-ites".

• 4 weeks later...

We were told by the Executive Director of the TSSAA, in our track rules meeting several years ago, to give the athlete an opportunity to comply with jewelry and uniform rules at the site of the events they are participating in.

Sometimes even when given they opportunity to comply they either adopt an "attitude" or won't do it and go running off to their coach (to complain about the coach running off the event) who should know the rules and enforce them before the meet even starts.

It seems to me like " me-itis" from some athletes. I will do what I want when and how I want to. nobody is going to tell me what to do. Thank God that the majority of them are rule abiding. What are the rule breaker's coaches doing? I am a H.S. coach and have been for 19 years. Get control of the "me-ites".

Thanks coach for the comments!!!!! Word to the wise, if you are coming to the AAA sectional in Johnson City Friday, their will be several certified officials working the meet so you better KNOW the rules beforehand.

This whole issue is absolutely ridiculous, you run track you follow the rules. this one is pretty simple, take your jewelry off. Thats pretty simple, you signed up for this sport, therefore you signed up knowing you would be asked to take your jewelry off. As a runner this greatly frustrates me, i get tired of having to wait additional time for my race to start because some punk wont take off a necklace or bracelet.

This whole issue is absolutely ridiculous, you run track you follow the rules. this one is pretty simple, take your jewelry off. Thats pretty simple, you signed up for this sport, therefore you signed up knowing you would be asked to take your jewelry off. As a runner this greatly frustrates me, i get tired of having to wait additional time for my race to start because some punk wont take off a necklace or bracelet.

Thanks for your support of doing what is right.

Coach b.