2 Man Systems?

AbsolutelyAmazing

I for one, vote for the game to be played, anywhere by anyone. Cheamilion makes a point about $40.00. Think about that, 7 or so home matches x $40.00 in a school forced to make tough financial decisions every day?

Maybe they pick up wrestling or something and dump soccer over $280.00...

I was in Johnson City over the weekend at the McDonalds tournament with my team (U12B); and an Englishman made a point I hear a lot, (mostly away from High schools) that "Americans" (that's us) have turned Soccer into a game of the privileged. Some look down their noses at the backwater high schools with cowpasture fields, unskilled coaches and 2-3 reasonably tallented players... and 2 refs.

I applaud those enclaves of well played HS soccer, (going out on a limb here) but it's enjoyable to referee the Grace, McMinn County or Cleveland matches. I don't work them but I attend occasionally, Bearden or CAK; and it's great high school soccer.

But they don't work harder or do more with less than Tellico, Rhea Co, Harriman or Sweetwater. In Tellico, there is one man that practically single handed keeps the game alive....

Sorry about the rant, don't know how I got off on that...., ok, 2 man crews works well if the 2 are in sync- 3 is better.

sela

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they just started us on a 2 man system down here, and being an older fella its really hard for me to officiate 22 players with only one other ref assisting me, it takes missing about 10 % of fouls to missing about 40%- 50% of fouls, now you kids are the ones affected and i hate it but you must understand the difficulty with a 2 man system

No one has to accept a dual. The rules as they stand right now, allow a Center to be demanded by either coach. The other ref goes to one line and stays there acting as an AR, and a club person is picked to be the other linesman (not an AR). This is far preferable to a dual, but it appears that either no one in TN reads the rules, or no one is willing to step up and start protecting the players.

It only cost $20 more for a three man and you do have to request it. Sometimes, due to everyone else wanting to play at the same time, you won't get 3 even if requested. It would be funny, or sad, if TSSAA tried to mandate a 3-man for all games. The bodies just aren't there.

Times are tough..Will officiate for gas. It would not be sad if this mandate was initatiated. Just need about

16 months to set the standard. Recruit/train officials. Officiating needs to be a conerstone of TSSAA goals. Its not

that hard

"No one has to accept a dual. The rules as they stand right now, allow a Center to be demanded by either coach. The other ref goes to one line and stays there acting as an AR, and a club person is picked to be the other linesman (not an AR). This is far preferable to a dual, but it appears that either no one in TN reads the rules, or no one is willing to step up and start protecting the players."

Actually the dual system in an acceptable system to referee. just like the three-man and the double dual system. You sir are thinking of USSF systems, however, NISOA is the parent organization for officials in NFHS and the dual is taught to an extent to use.

Although 3 man systems are more expensive, they are much preferred. That's what we usually do, but when he went to Hixson, they paid for a 2 man and it was some of the worst officiating we have had all year.

With that in mind, 2 man can work if both the refs are solid..

It only cost $20 more for a three man and you do have to request it. Sometimes, due to everyone else wanting to play at the same time, you won't get 3 even if requested. It would be funny, or sad, if TSSAA tried to mandate a 3-man for all games. The bodies just aren't there.

NO! It is $40 more per game. Players just need to ask the coach of there team if they asked for 3 refs. In middle TN the coaches are the ones that don't want to pay for the 3 refs ($60 center and $50 each for ARs). We have more refs than you think. Up unit till last year MTSOA was sending 4 refs thats right 4 refs to some schools. 2 did the JV game and 2 for the varsity. It is all about money.

Are 3-man crews more expensive?

Schools in this county usually get duals because the refs are coming from Knoxville, at least an hour drive. Most don't want to make that drive, especially with gas prices the way they are.

I'd suggest requesting trios for district games to start, see if you can get them.

Two man crews $120 I think, Three man crews $160.

Let an old coach chime in. There are benefits to both systems. In a dual, at least there are two whistles; two people calling fouls. And yes it is a little cheaper on the budget.

Yes a three man system is better in that you have more eyes on the match. HOWEVER, we all know that some/most centers don't allow the linesmen/assts call anything but offsides/throwins. So what use are they, plus it is more expensive.

Having said all this. Our district bylaws require 3 men crews for the postseason.

Maybe in your district Referees only allow thier Assistant Referees to only call offsideds, but the Highland Rim Association, who generally do from Franklin County to Smyrna, to Cookeville (most of SE Middle TN) want thier assistant referees to make foul calls and are encourage to do so. In fact, in our last referee meeting, were told if a center referee tells you you can't make those calls then don't referee the game, because behind assistant, is referee.

Most Highland Rim Assocation require three man system, so they set how many referees must be used, unless it's a JV game, then they will use two. But for most games they use a three man system. Some referee assocations just don't have enough referees to do a three man system.