Any word on the Rockood Baseball Opening for next Year?

govols1020

The guy they should hire is a young gun from Chattanooga area who has applied on the job. Though young he is a solid baseball man and has experince coaching high caliber travel teams during his college days. Several former players from his travel team are now drawing interest from colleges around the area. A young coach hungry to make a name for himself would be perfect for this job.

The guy they should hire is a young gun from Chattanooga area who has applied on the job. Though young he is a solid baseball man and has experince coaching high caliber travel teams during his college days. Several former players from his travel team are now drawing interest from colleges around the area. A young coach hungry to make a name for himself would be perfect for this job.

My Rockwood source says that they are looking for a teacher/coach. So if your guy is not a teacher he wouldnt be a candidate. When we played Rockwood I was told that 13 guys had applied for the job (and that was several weeks back). There were local candidates (including a rumor that our coach at Kingston had applied), guys from all around the area and even a guy from GA and one from FL. Whoever they hire will have his job cut out for him. ALL the talent graduates this yr (they have 13 seniors, 6 of whom have signed with colleges) and only two juniors (only one of which plays)! Their is very little if any talent in the pipeline so whoever takes the job is not inheriting a championship caliber team like Rockwood has been known for in the past.

A very good coach from Ga (who played at UT) is interested.

Well they will need him. My friend tells me that Rockwood is in for a LONG dry spell in baseball. I watched our middle school pound their middle school something like 12-0 this week. So I can definitely speak to the middle school talent and from my friends comments, apparently there isnt much talent left once the seniors leave.

Well they will need him. My friend tells me that Rockwood is in for a LONG dry spell in baseball. I watched our middle school pound their middle school something like 12-0 this week. So I can definitely speak to the middle school talent and from my friends comments, apparently there isnt much talent left once the seniors leave.

Which middle school game were you at? Their middle school team played alot better towards the end of the year. Who are the local guys who have applied for the job? I think they should keep a local guy in if they are interested simply for familiarity with the kids.

With the majority of the players that actually contributed graduating this year, "familiarity with the kids" is the last factor that should be considered while choosing the next coach. With limited experience and talent coming back, they won't be able to dominate their district/region on pure skill/ability. They need someone who will teach the fundamentals of the game and teach those young, inexperienced players how to play the game the right way. Where the coach is from should have ABSOLUTELY zero bearing on whether or not he is hired.

What's the story on Cofer leaving? Just decide to give it up?

For what it's worth, Rockwood hasn't hired outside of the school in, well as far back into at least the 80's if not earlier. I don't know if there was a coach between Eichelberger and Wilkerson, but Eichelberger was the coach from the 60's-70's, Wilkerson was a Rockwood graduate that took the position, Lane stepped in after a year as an assistant coach for Wilkerson, and then Cofer took it when Lane left. I would expect an internal hire of an assistant (if possible).

On the other note, Rockwood's talent is bound to drop, the run from 98 until now has been amazing compared to the past. RHS was never EVER a baseball school until the drop to Single A in 1998. Even Lane's first 3 years ended with losing records. Two district tourney championships ('92 and '94) and a tourney runner-up ('97) is all Rockwood has to show for the 27 years between '71 and '98.

It will be interesting to see who the coach will be.

Just wondering if anyone had heard who the frontrunners and who has applied for this job.

Rumors have it that a strong willed former college coach that has been banned by the NCAA has been recruited after spending 10 years in the Navy. He will need to win over the close-knit town and a skeptical community in order to lead his team to a state championship...

Rumors have it that a strong willed former college coach that has been banned by the NCAA has been recruited after spending 10 years in the Navy. He will need to win over the close-knit town and a skeptical community in order to lead his team to a state championship...

You're kidding, hopefully.

Recruiting a coach that's been banned by the NCAA?

Oh yeah, that's who I want coaching my sons.