District 11AAA Tournament

RockUrWorld

The weather forecast shows a chance (30%) of a few showers or isolated thunderstorms from 6pm onwards tomorrow. Hopefully there will be none, or if so, they won't interupt or only slightly delay the games. I want these games played tomorrow night! No excuses!

Predictions

Centennial-Independence - I believe this was a regular season game of 2-1 in favor of Centennial. Indy was undefeated going into the game and that was their first loss. I don't believe Indy had even been scored on prior to that game. I think Centennial will be led by the sound defense of their center back Scott and their left back who is also playing college ball. They make it very hard for their keeper to be in vulnerable situations. Indy has a great playmaker in Ben Gaines that should create some opportunities. Centennial plays such a disciplined form of ball I don't think they will get rattled even if the game gets chippy or they were to get down early. Centennial should capitalize with shot opportunities from midfield play from Tyson and be able to help put away a hotly contested match which will probably have possession close to 50/50 in one of the most even matches one could expect. I believe the final score will be Centennial 2, Independence 1, with the Cougars getting their first chance to go to regionals since 2003.

Brentwood-Franklin - Brentwood, also known as the New England Patriots or New York Yankees of 11AAA, come waltzing in with an undefeated record looking to send their seniors out with a state final for their resume. They are led by constant goal scorer Bradley Jacobs who puts 'em in the back of the net in the cupcake games and the big games. He shows up regardless and even likes to engage the crowd. They also have that super fast striker Nick DeSalvatore who is very young and his potential is scary. Danny Rayburn commands the D to help protect Leedle in goal. I have seen Brentwood a few times and boy do they put the pressure on opposing D's and goalies. I swear a lot of their games are about 80/20 on possession. Shots on goal from the opposition is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. In fact, I have only ever seen in person Brentwood lose one time in my years of soccer. That is downright sick. Which brings me to my point. Several years ago, back in 2003, Centennial shocked Franklin in the district semis (several fights almost broke out near the end of the game and there were several red cards), and eventually advanced to the sectionals. I watched Centennial, who at that time had several excellent players and the rest were average, and they had absolutely NO business whatsoever being on the field with an awesome Hendersonville team. In front of a huge crowd at Hendersonville, I witnessed Centennial shock the world, go up 3-0, and cling on for dear life as they upset the Commandos 3-2 and went to the State Quarterfinals for the first time in school history (also that night at the same time Smyrna upset an extremely heavily favored Brentwood 1-0 on the Bruins turf). What I am saying is everyone thinks these games are so predictable and the powerhouse team is just going to show up in their collective jersey and win. It can be done and it is absolutely exhilirating to witness. Franklin has shown glimpes of their powerhouse potential in spurts all year long. Brentwood is human and they do have their flaws despite the fact they do not show them often. I think Franklin is going to come into this game super fired up with absolutely nothing to lose. The seniors are going to lead by example and their play is going to be contagious throughout the team. I think one of their most experienced players like Boothie will get a goal early and the team will be pumping with adrenaline. You will see nothing less than a 100% effort out of these guys. I think this will frustrate Brentwood and they will start yelling at each other and pressing. This is the type of Brentwood team that could get knocked out real quick or go all the way and win the State Finals. Brentwood will probably control the majority of possession, get a ton and I mean a ton of shots on John Shaw, maybe even have one or two go off the posts or crossbar and he may have to save a PK. But after all is said and done, I think Franklin will prevail because their seniors aren't ready to ride off into the sunset just yet - Franklin 1, Brentwood 0.

Whew, that was a workout. I think I'll go rest now. Can't wait until tomorrow!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not on Franklin's current team, but I really feel like the whole soccer world in Tennessee is pulling for Franklin to shock the world and beat mighty Brentwood.

Typically if your a fan of the favored team than you pull for them.....if you not a fan of either there is a good chance you will pull for the underdog. Who pulls for the favorite? It happens but not usually. So yes I guess everyone would pull for Franklin because they are the underdog, unless your a Brentwood fan, then I'm pretty sure you know who they would pull for. Common sense.

Any details on this game?

Good game by both teams. Brentwood seemed to posses the ball the first half and went up 1-0. Second half Franklin kept the ball on Brentwoods side for quite a while and got a couple oppurtunities. Jacobs went in for a loose ball with the keeper and tempers started to get out of hand, Jacobs got a straight red and another Franklin defender got a yellow. Quite a bit of pushing and kind of questionable on the red card but Brentwood's defense held off an intense last 5 mintues to win the game. So much for all the upset talk, I think Centennial would be a better game but Brentwood is definitely the better team.

Centennial was not better tonight .....

IHS beats CHS 2-0

Tough fought game on both sides. Both teams played with alot of heart....IHS rotated players which kept them from ever getting one dimensional. IHS goalie came up with a couple of great saves and their midfield worked very hard all night.

Any predictions for the final? Brentwood v. IHS?