No sports

bdart36

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marching bands have been used by the military for centuries before modern sports were even invented. Marching bands still exist long after the current sports are considered outdated.

Bands were probably formed in early caveman times.

I've heard it said by many that if it weren't for sports such as football there wouldn't be any need for bands. Tell me what you think about this interesting topic.

Early cavemen probably did form the first band, even though it probably included just something like banging on rocks with sticks or shaking tree branches. Band has been an on going thing for years. So with that being said, it is simply nonsense saying that doing away with football and other sports would be the end of the need for band. Plus there is also concert, orchestra, and jazz band. Not only marching band.

You band people are /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Marching bands have been used by the military for centuries before modern sports were even invented. Marching bands still exist long after the current sports are considered outdated.

Yes this is true but if it were not for the bands piggy backing off sports like football they could not get a quarter of the money they get from games. Face it no high school sports no high school marching band.

Early cavemen probably did form the first band, even though it probably included just something like banging on rocks with sticks or shaking tree branches. Band has been an on going thing for years. So with that being said, it is simply nonsense saying that doing away with football and other sports would be the end of the need for band. Plus there is also concert, orchestra, and jazz band. Not only marching band.

this post is a joke in many ways. the first way is im sure the cavemen were more worried about finding food, water. Not getting eaten by a T-Rex, saving money by switching to GICO (lol just had to add that one in) then to make music. You are kidding about that right? Band has not been going on for years, maybe more like hundreds of years. And i do not think it is nonsense to say that if you stop sports it will end marching band for many reasons. 1 were is the marching band going to get there money. 2 how many people go to football games to watch the band. and 3 you were not kidding about the cavemen hitting the rocks an shaking the trees were you?

My band gets very little if any from the football games, and we do alright. Just sayin'

Don't get me wrong I like bands. But one thing I don't like is during half-time shows when the throw their flags down or drop their instruments and start running around and screaming like a bunch of lunatics. Do the directors really think that's good entertainment? That part is just stinkin crazy!!

• 3 months later...

Yes this is true but if it were not for the bands piggy backing off sports like football they could not get a quarter of the money they get from games. Face it no high school sports no high school marching band.

Sorry but our band does not get a penny off the ticket sales or any other sales at the game. If it was not for the 180+ members of the band and their parents, the stands would be empty at our games. The football team is not that good.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting topic - as I read several of these comments, I am somewhat amused by the thought that the only reason the band is there is for the football team's enjoyment! A nice high school jock thought! While playing at football games is fun, it is not the sole reason for the band!! Band kids take heart!! - when you go back to your 10, 20, and 30 year high school reunions, look for the old jocks and ask them when was the last football game they played and are they still playing! I think you already know the answer!! - then look up your band friends and see when they last played their instrument- you just might find that many are still playing - some with the local community bands and orchestras - some with the local jazz and big bands in the area - some playing professionally - and some just playing for the pure enjoyment of playing in a group and making music for everyone to enjoy! That's why you're in the band! And don't let anyone tell you anything differently!! Enjoy it to the fullest!! It lasts a lifetime!!