No sports

bdart36

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard it said by many that if it weren't for sports such as football there wouldn't be any need for bands. Tell me what you think about this interesting topic.

I am a senior at Jackson County High School. Throughout my years, I have played many sports as recreational fun and as competition. (You can probably see where my dad has posted sappy things about me in the Softball forum /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=".) I was on my school's dance team for a year, which got me back into shape. And, believe it or not, I am one of the THREE senior girl drummers in our Band In Blue.

First of all, my band only does the marching band because it's what our school makes us do. There must be some reason they want us out there. What could that be...? Maybe...to raise spirit? We're the same as cheerleaders, but we just play a fight song rather than say "Go Team Go". We're there to pep up our teams and our audiences. Instead of working AGAINST our our teams (which seems to happen between football and band world-wide), we should be working with them.

What are sports for anyway? Is it not for children (or very active adults) to get out there and do what they love for the sake of good, clean competition? Every sport I can think of falls under that category, as well as other extracurriculars that are sometimes deprived of the "sport" label such as cheerleading, dance, and band.

I don't care what CoachT classifies as a sport. I would not care if Band was taken off right this minute. (We bandies would always have marchingbandplanet.) I just believe that people are being close-minded because these organizations, such as band, bring it upon themselves to wage wars. You bandies that are fighting with your sports, you need to stop. That's not what we're for. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Interesting topic - as I read several of these comments, I am somewhat amused by the thought that the only reason the band is there is for the football team's enjoyment! A nice high school jock thought! While playing at football games is fun, it is not the sole reason for the band!! Band kids take heart!! - when you go back to your 10, 20, and 30 year high school reunions, look for the old jocks and ask them when was the last football game they played and are they still playing! I think you already know the answer!! - then look up your band friends and see when they last played their instrument- you just might find that many are still playing - some with the local community bands and orchestras - some with the local jazz and big bands in the area - some playing professionally - and some just playing for the pure enjoyment of playing in a group and making music for everyone to enjoy! That's why you're in the band! And don't let anyone tell you anything differently!! Enjoy it to the fullest!! It lasts a lifetime!!

I have never approved of people tearing down band or kids who care a great deal about it and put so much effort into it. It's irresponsible and uninformed. Likewise, a response like that is just as irresponsible. You don't have to put one group down in order to defend another. I'm not saying you shouldn't call someone on their bull but at least take the high road when doing it. Even if they won't. However, I do very much agree that if you keep up with your instrument it's a wonderful gift to be able to share.

I, for one, think that marching bands as we know them have benefited greatly over the years from football as a vehicle for exposure and growth. They have always been a part of the whole experience and one I wouldn't want to live without. With the growing popularity of organizations like DCI bands have taken on a life of their own beyond sports and that's just the natural progression of competition. Personally, I like drum line competitions.

I just wish we could get away from this "jock" vs" band nerd" garbage. Neither football nor band are about making you better then someone else. They are both about making you and better "you". They are about teaching kids how to be good citizens and to be the best people that they can be. Yes, they both compete and you had better be out there to win but if that's all a student is getting out if it then we have all missed the point.

I've heard it said by many that if it weren't for sports such as football there wouldn't be any need for bands. Tell me what you think about this interesting topic.

I was a football player and i must say that I did enjoy hearing the band fire it up when we needed a little boost. I don't think being in the band makes you an athlete but it does make you part of the atmoshpere that makes high school football great. I can remember a certain person in my schools band who went on to be Clemson University's mascot in the tiger uniform. He had to do a lot of push ups because it was back when CU was really good. I can honestly say I am not sure I could have done as many as he had to do. I am sure he is not the norm, but talented... yes.

I could not tell you wether our Ooltewah Band was good or not because they rarely march at games. I think their director likes to think of football the same way many football players think of the band. It is a shame because as a fan now, it would be nice to see them perform. They do make a lot of money off of our football team because we pack the place out and they get all of the concessions.

GO OWLS!!! ...and hopefully one day this season I will get to see the band perform in a uniform and cheer for them.

Yes this is true but if it were not for the bands piggy backing off sports like football they could not get a quarter of the money they get from games. Face it no high school sports no high school marching band.

If there were no high school sports the number of band members would increase tremendously. That's what keeps kids from joining band, too many parents want Johnny or Susie to be a sports hero, and then they are not, and have nothing to show for when they are 40 years old except for a letterman jacket, and old "war stories." Band kids always have their craft, and can continue to use it long after they leave high school.

If there were no high school sports the number of band members would increase tremendously. That's what keeps kids from joining band, too many parents want Johnny or Susie to be a sports hero, and then they are not, and have nothing to show for when they are 40 years old except for a letterman jacket, and old "war stories." Band kids always have their craft, and can continue to use it long after they leave high school.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you MR. Drummer. I played at least three sports a year until I graduated high school. If it were not for some over zealous crazied band directors, I would have continued with both. I was given the option to either play in the band or play football by not our football coach but the junior high band director. I was second chair trumpet. It was then that I chose to play sports and give up the band. I did miss playing the trumpet but did not miss that band director and his hatered towards sports... especailly football. I went on to play on a state champion football team and even got to keep my jersey. My kids later used my state champion jersey as a practice jersey during rec league and was proud to wear it. Now they are playing in high school. I use my sports talents to coach mostly now and coach several sports (AAU Basketball and Select Baseball). I quit coaching football when my kids made it into middle school. There are many others like me who continue to play sports on in to their 50's and 60's. I know one day, provided the good Lord blesses me with good health, I will still be playing basketball when I am in my 70's.

I just wish SO many from BOTH, the sports venue and the music venue would not put so much pressure on kids to decide at such an early age. We have a NEED for both.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you MR. Drummer. I played at least three sports a year until I graduated high school. If it were not for some over zealous crazied band directors, I would have continued with both. I was given the option to either play in the band or play football by not our football coach but the junior high band director. I was second chair trumpet. It was then that I chose to play sports and give up the band. I did miss playing the trumpet but did not miss that band director and his hatered towards sports... especailly football. I went on to play on a state champion football team and even got to keep my jersey. My kids later used my state champion jersey as a practice jersey during rec league and was proud to wear it. Now they are playing in high school. I use my sports talents to coach mostly now and coach several sports (AAU Basketball and Select Baseball). I quit coaching football when my kids made it into middle school. There are many others like me who continue to play sports on in to their 50's and 60's. I know one day, provided the good Lord blesses me with good health, I will still be playing basketball when I am in my 70's.

I just wish SO many from BOTH, the sports venue and the music venue would not put so much pressure on kids to decide at such an early age. We have a NEED for both.

Thank You.

I agree very much so with your last statement. As for your bad experience with your band director, I am sorry. Not every band can be blessed with an awesome director that sees the value in both band and sports. My band director encourages each and every one of us to participate in sports. For the past few years, we have had 1 or 2 football players to play in the band also! It's very awesome to see photos in our newspaper that shows our boys wearing a football uniform AND and band hat. =)

Interesting topic - as I read several of these comments, I am somewhat amused by the thought that the only reason the band is there is for the football team's enjoyment! A nice high school jock thought! While playing at football games is fun, it is not the sole reason for the band!! Band kids take heart!! - when you go back to your 10, 20, and 30 year high school reunions, look for the old jocks and ask them when was the last football game they played and are they still playing! I think you already know the answer!! - then look up your band friends and see when they last played their instrument- you just might find that many are still playing - some with the local community bands and orchestras - some with the local jazz and big bands in the area - some playing professionally - and some just playing for the pure enjoyment of playing in a group and making music for everyone to enjoy! That's why you're in the band! And don't let anyone tell you anything differently!! Enjoy it to the fullest!! It lasts a lifetime!!

You don't have to be in "BAND" to be a muscian. 6 of us football players played in a "garage band" while in high school. 2 went on to play college football. 5 of the 6 played at our 35th high school reunion last year. No "BAND" members played with us. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I agree very much so with your last statement. As for your bad experience with your band director, I am sorry. Not every band can be blessed with an awesome director that sees the value in both band and sports. My band director encourages each and every one of us to participate in sports. For the past few years, we have had 1 or 2 football players to play in the band also! It's very awesome to see photos in our newspaper that shows our boys wearing a football uniform AND and band hat. =)

One thing that says alot about a school and its programs is when you see that football player march with the band at half time. My first thought is.. WOW.. what a talented young man. Then the next thing that pops up in my mind is the fact that both.. the Head Coach and the Band Director are on the same page. They both realize their job is to build character in these young adults. Give them the freedom to choose and the freedom to grow. If there were more like this... there would be no thread about hatered between the band and football team. Jock_to_jazz... I am envious of you for being able to do both and wish you good fortune.

One thing that says alot about a school and its programs is when you see that football player march with the band at half time. My first thought is.. WOW.. what a talented young man. Then the next thing that pops up in my mind is the fact that both.. the Head Coach and the Band Director are on the same page. They both realize their job is to build character in these young adults. Give them the freedom to choose and the freedom to grow. If there were more like this... there would be no thread about hatered between the band and football team. Jock_to_jazz... I am envious of you for being able to do both and wish you good fortune.

I'm glad you agree, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm a girl. I don't believe they allow people of my sex to play high school football. Too bad. I would if I could - while ALSO playing in the BAND!

I'm glad you agree, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm a girl. I don't believe they allow people of my sex to play high school football. Too bad. I would if I could - while ALSO playing in the BAND!

Hold on a minute there GIRL.... who says girls don't play? DId you not see the back up kicker at the University of Colorado (I think it was). Yes... it was a SHE and I think she kicked a field goal last year during a game when they were way up. Don't count yourself short. Not the norm I know but never the less... a girl. Keep playing... I bet you play the Sax. I love walking down Michigan Avenue in Chicago about two in the morning and hearing the different street performers playing the sax.