soccer on tv

akula21

Good question, but unfortunately the foul Muth committed warrants a straight red card, thus overriding the previous yellow. He will be suspended two games. Fun game to watch, and I'm glad it was delayed since I was busy the night before. Here's my viewpoint as a referee... I don't see the foul as cheap, but rather a violation of the rules like all other fouls committed in a game. Think about it, every time you commit a foul in soccer, break the line of scrimmage in football, "reach in" at basketball, it's a foul. Just like Muth's infraction, he was playing "the game" just like all players in a competitive sport. That's why we have referees. Now, if he committed an egregious foul away from play while the referee's back was turned, or, if Farragut snuck an extra player on the field, then call it cheap and dirty. Muth knew exactly what would come to him during the process of tackling the player to the ground. It wasn't cheap, it was smart, but results an unfortunate consequence. And, by the way... for anyone who says that a foul like that is a "cheap way to win," or, "I'd never want to win that way," sounds like they never played at a competitive level. If you are close enough to an opponent and do not prevent him from strolling into your goal, I would question your athletic character. Here's why: does the rule say, "do not foul," or, "if a player fouls, this is is the consequence..." And furthermore, 80 minutes of soccer decides a match, not one play. Maryville did not lose, and Farragut did not win on that play. MHS lost because their offense is futile, and they did not score during flow of play. Few shots on goal. FHS won because their offense was relentless, albiet scoring on set plays, but overpowered the Rebel attack. Keep in mind Rebel fans, you lost the game playing up one man. At the end of the day, therefore, congratulations Farragut on your "cheap" win, down 11-10.

I wouldn't call MHS's offense "futile", and Maryville played up a man for a total of about 4 minutes.

Moreover, I think it is kind of ridiculous to questions someone's "athletic character" if they wouldn't tackle another player to save a goal. A great deal of competitive players would try to slide and get the ball, rather than clip him. I would encourage a player to do EVERYTHING he could do to prevent a breakaway goal, but I would never encourage him to blatantly tackle another player, especially since the offense merits a two game suspension--and Farragut DEFINITELY needs Muth against West.

Muth will sit out for the most important game of his career because of what he did. I wonder what his teammates think. I am willing to bet that a number of them are a little perturbed with Muth's decision. For every high five he received after his card, there were equally as many players who looked a little stunned.

I will, however, agree with you that the foul did not cause Maryville to lose. Farragut outplayed them, and they were no doubt "relentless."

One more question...anyone...Did Farragut score their first goal, (on the first night), off of a set piece? I still have not found the answer to this question.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call MHS's offense "futile", and Maryville played up a man for a total of about 4 minutes.

Moreover, I think it is kind of ridiculous to questions someone's "athletic character" if they wouldn't tackle another player to save a goal. A great deal of competitive players would try to slide and get the ball, rather than clip him. I would encourage a player to do EVERYTHING he could do to prevent a breakaway goal, but I would never encourage him to blatantly tackle another player, especially since the offense merits a two game suspension--and Farragut DEFINITELY needs Muth against West.

Muth will sit out for the most important game of his career because of what he did. I wonder what his teammates think. I am willing to bet that a number of them are a little perturbed with Muth's decision. For every high five he received after his card, there were equally as many players who looked a little stunned.

I will, however, agree with you that the foul did not cause Maryville to lose. Farragut outplayed them, and they were no doubt "relentless."

One more question...anyone...Did Farragut score their first goal, (on the first night), off of a set piece? I still have not found the answer to this question.

Two on corners and one on a throw in that resembled a corner kick

I do have a question for all the high school certified referees...Joseph already was carrying a yellow card when he made this foul. Does the red over ride the fact that he already was carrying a yellow. Wouldnt it be considered a soft red? I know the play deserved a straight red but i was just seeing what the rule is on this one

I was at the game and am a high school and USSF referee. The previous yellow has no bearing since he received the straight or hard red for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. This was a text book example. There are only two situations in which you can receive a soft red- a second yellow or excessive celebration, that's it. You are sent off for a soft red but your team can sub for you and you do not miss any additional games. The hard red gets you sent off, your team plays a man down and you sit for two additional games.

Others have complained Maryville should have been awarded a PK. This is completely wrong. A referee cannot award a PK when the foul does not occur in the penalty area and this one clearly was outside the penalty area. I was looking right at it, and I'm sure the video would confirm that. You cannot award a PK just because it was a bad foul or the player had a chance to score, etc. The foul must occur in the penalty area to result in a PK, period.

By the way, the center ref in this game is probably the best ref in our area if not in the state in my opinion. He called the foul and showed the red immediately and the restart was spot on just outside the penalty area. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I was at the game and am a high school and USSF referee. The previous yellow has no bearing since he received the straight or hard red for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. This was a text book example. There are only two situations in which you can receive a soft red- a second yellow or excessive celebration, that's it. You are sent off for a soft red but your team can sub for you and you do not miss any additional games. The hard red gets you sent off, your team plays a man down and you sit for two additional games.

Others have complained Maryville should have been awarded a PK. This is completely wrong. A referee cannot award a PK when the foul does not occur in the penalty area and this one clearly was outside the penalty area. I was looking right at it, and I'm sure the video would confirm that. You cannot award a PK just because it was a bad foul or the player had a chance to score, etc. The foul must occur in the penalty area to result in a PK, period.

By the way, the center ref in this game is probably the best ref in our area if not in the state in my opinion. He called the foul and showed the red immediately and the restart was spot on just outside the penalty area. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree with you on your comment about Compton. He is one of the best refs in the area. He always does an outstading job.

I agree with the ref. I have no complaints with Compton. Never have! He lets the kids play and he is fair.

I do, however, disagree with the rule. In this case, and many more cases in the soccer rule book, the punishment does not fit the penalty. If this is an "obvious goal scoring opportunity" then you would think the reward should be for the team to have a chance at a high percentage shot, which would be a PK. No matter where the player is in relation to the box. I think this would would deter a lot players for making this kind of foul.

Another problem with the rules is the fact that it is a straight red for bad language. I agree that bad language should be penalized, but I don't know if warranting a red card is necessary. How many times does a football player or basketball player curse during a game. I'd say quite a bit! But the penalty they may receive is at worst a personal foul or technical foul. Does this mean that they are ejected and must be suspended for the next 2 games. Doubt it!

I don't think I am alone when I say that the strict rules in soccer hold back on great competition! Some of these rules need to seriously be looked at to change.

I agree with the ref. I have no complaints with Compton. Never have! He lets the kids play and he is fair.

I do, however, disagree with the rule. In this case, and many more cases in the soccer rule book, the punishment does not fit the penalty. If this is an "obvious goal scoring opportunity" then you would think the reward should be for the team to have a chance at a high percentage shot, which would be a PK. No matter where the player is in relation to the box. I think this would would deter a lot players for making this kind of foul.

Another problem with the rules is the fact that it is a straight red for bad language. I agree that bad language should be penalized, but I don't know if warranting a red card is necessary. How many times does a football player or basketball player curse during a game. I'd say quite a bit! But the penalty they may receive is at worst a personal foul or technical foul. Does this mean that they are ejected and must be suspended for the next 2 games. Doubt it!

I don't think I am alone when I say that the strict rules in soccer hold back on great competition! Some of these rules need to seriously be looked at to change.

ned i agree and disagree.

i don't think a red card should be given for swearing at all. i know sometimes swearing can be harsh but what about all the times where a player gets caught up in the excitement or something frustrates him and he slips out a cussword b/c in his everyday life he is used to doing that? he should get a warning and i guarantee you he doesn't do it again if he has any kind of brain.

but as far as just making a call outside the penalty area a pk when it really isn't is ridiculous. i know it may seem fair when the offensive player has a clear shot at goal but think about the position you put the ref in when he has to decide when to give a team a pk when its outside the box. that really is so dumb and no ref wants to decide a game like that. what happened in this game sounds like what should have happened and the ref handled it perfectly. it is punishment enough that farragut has to play without mutt

Ok, I??™ll weigh in on this one. The tackle/ride down from behind was flagrant and unsportsmanlike very much warranting a red card but absolutely necessary to save the goal/win the game. Yes, within the rules of the game but from my perspective, outside the spirit of the game. Somewhat akin to the Barry Bonds apologists who excuse his steroid use as not being ???specifically prohibited??? when he was juicing. As many have stated, time will tell if doing ???whatever it takes??? to win a district championship will be negated because Farragut is losing a key player with an elimination game looming. I would bet that Culbreath would not want that trade-off. Playing Oak Ridge with Muth seems much more winnable than playing West without JM. That said, I think Farragut will get it done??”they have more depth/talent than any team in the area.

alright im gonna stick up for my boy muth...first off he is a GREAT defender and i was not at the game (too early) but my pops told me that muth had to take down carter both times...first time resulted in a goal and second (one in ot) did not. both were smart fouls and he eventually saved the game because i heard carter was prob going to score if muth hadnt pulled him down the second time....but the bad part is that muth will be out for two games (lame rule by tsaaa and shows how ridiculous tennessee soccer is) the thing is every player should play each game to win...i have never ever thought of trying to lose a game because circumstances affecting the game. i hate to lose and i know muth does too so who ever would have let carter score so farragut could play "oak ridge with muth" instead of west without him is ignorant or not a true competitor. smart fouls are part of the game it happens in both the nba and the nfl...watch when a corner is beat he will reach out and grab the reciever...usually it only results in a 5 yard holding penalty which is much better than a td thus when muth fouled carter it resulted in a direct kick (which beaver saved) and not a goal. muth you did the right thing homie and its stinks u wont be able to play west but ur teammates should step up for you

so Tron, it is ignorant to want an easier way to a state championship? Would you rather win a district tournament and lose in first round of region, or lose district tournament and win region and possibly state? Farragut has the ability to beat West, they have already done it, but if they lose can you really say it was still smart of him to take him down and basically causing his team to be out of the state tournament? What is more important? A State championship or district tournament championship? We all know Farragut can win both, but now they do not have one of their better defenders. So i ask you... is winning the district tournament really worth being out of the state tournament?

so Tron, it is ignorant to want an easier way to a state championship? Would you rather win a district tournament and lose in first round of region, or lose district tournament and win region and possibly state? Farragut has the ability to beat West, they have already done it, but if they lose can you really say it was still smart of him to take him down and basically causing his team to be out of the state tournament? What is more important? A State championship or district tournament championship? We all know Farragut can win both, but now they do not have one of their better defenders. So i ask you... is winning the district tournament really worth being out of the state tournament?

Nick man..putting your boy on the spot there arent ya

yeah. I mean I understand wanting to win every game. Heck you guys know me, you know i hate for my teams to lose a game and I am just a fan. I can tell you it wasn't worth it for me last season to yell at the ref in bball.. we ended up losing, and i missed out on the whole regular season of soccer and baseball. not worth it at all. So winning is everything and is the most important thing, but sometimes the method the game is won ends up not being worth it. Heck, maybe the kid wouldn't have scored. you never know. we will see tonight what goes down.