Wing-T Football

Saw a guy at the state championship clinic running wing-t schemes out of the shotgun. Kind of spread/wingt/single wing mix. Interesting stuff and looked like it would be holy heck to try and stop.

Anyways, all football is either drive block, reach block, or down kick block, or pass. No secrets anymore. GOOD misdirection will work on any level.............anyone that things wing t football wont work on ANY level is either stupid, a young coach who thinks he knows everything, or is trying to get people to stop running the dang thing bc he cant stop it!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a guy at the state championship clinic running wing-t schemes out of the shotgun. Kind of spread/wingt/single wing mix. Interesting stuff and looked like it would be holy heck to try and stop.

Anyways, all football is either drive block, reach block, or down kick block, or pass. No secrets anymore. GOOD misdirection will work on any level.............anyone that things wing t football wont work on ANY level is either stupid, a young coach who thinks he knows everything, or is trying to get people to stop running the dang thing bc he cant stop it!

That would have been South Pittsburg...wait til you see him this year

That would have been South Pittsburg...wait til you see him this year

Uh, no. Not playing in the game..........speaking at the clinic. South Pitt runs true wing-t and a VERY elemetary form of the spread.........they just do it with much better players than everyone else they play........no secret to that. Contrary to popular belief......South Pitt is not the ONLY people in the world who mix in various offenses with the spread..........its real common.

The coach you are talking about at the state championship was Tommy Tharpe. He used to coach at Cheatham County High and at Sycamore. He's a wonderful coach, and does a great job of running the correct scheme for the talent he has. He has come up with this offense to compete with his under sized lineman and not so fast skill position players. Its a single wing/ spread/ wing T offense. I personally know of two different schools that are going to run something like this some this season, and one of those schools went down and spent a weekend with coach Tharpe to get a better understanding of his scheme.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of the wing T. To me when you face equal talent it is hard to win running true wing T offense. However, this hybrid wing with the rocket motion and other things is good for teams that are a little less talented on the line, but have some speed to spread around. And yes, S. Pitt could have won the title last year running jr. high plays.

In my experience most teams that I have faced that ran the wing t should not have been running it. It has been characterized as a slow white boy offense, but I completely disagree with that. The only teams I have ever seen be successful have had speed.When you do not have speed you have no outside threat, and teams can load up to stop the trap. JMO

Uh, no. Not playing in the game..........speaking at the clinic. South Pitt runs true wing-t and a VERY elemetary form of the spread.........they just do it with much better players than everyone else they play........no secret to that. Contrary to popular belief......South Pitt is not the ONLY people in the world who mix in various offenses with the spread..........its real common.

We run some true wing T and quite a bit of modified out of 8 or 10 formations. The base Gun we run is a 2 wide out, 1 slot, one back set. We can run T plays from it (usually with motion) along with zone/passing so it compliments our base O. We can switch back and forth without losing a beat. Keeps Ds guessing. Any team running the T better have some other O to keep the Ds honest.

• 3 weeks later...

The wing also works if your team is not as talented. It uses misdirection and gives you a little more time to get to the edge because the average high school player has to sit back before he can make a good read, so if your team is lacking the fire power and the passing game this gives you the best chance to compete. And in South pitt's case if you have the fire power and passing game to DOMINATE.

It will not win 4A or 5A games because those teams have to sell tickets. Most decent 4A and 5A teams have the necessary personnel to slow the wing-T down. All things even, the wing-T is very difficult to defend at the high school level.

Just curious...why do 4a and 5a teams "have to sell tickets"? Winning...in any class...sells tickets.

The wing T is a great offense. At Lancaster Christian, we run the Double Wing. It's more old fashioned and boring than the wing T. These offenses are time tested and proven. If you don't think these offenses can win in 5A don't tell Clovis East in California. You guys should check them out on YouTube. They are beating schools that have as many as 10 division 1 prospects each. This is big time 5A California football and Coach Tim Murphy is getting it done with the Double Wing Double Tight Offense. He even took his team down to Midland Lee, Texas and beat their spread with this old, ugly offense. It's based on double teams, multiple pullers, and of course misdirection. These offenses aren't popular today but they can be very effective when the details are properly coached. God Bless

Coach

I coached for 3 years in Fresno in Clovis East's conference. They are the real deal, each school in that conference has at least 2,500-3,200 kids. That offense is as boring as can be. They had toyed with Spread Stuff, but when it came to nut cuttin' time, that double wing is tough. A few years earlier Clovis West took that "textbook" Wing to to Massilon Ohio and beat them.

Another poster had it right when he said that people who think that you can't win in high classifications here are ignorant.

I coached for 3 years in Fresno in Clovis East's conference. They are the real deal, each school in that conference has at least 2,500-3,200 kids. That offense is as boring as can be. They had toyed with Spread Stuff, but when it came to nut cuttin' time, that double wing is tough. A few years earlier Clovis West took that "textbook" Wing to to Massilon Ohio and beat them.

Another poster had it right when he said that people who think that you can't win in high classifications here are ignorant.

I aree. I have seen some of Tim Murphy's line videos and a couple of games on a DVD, and I must say that this stuff is very similar to the Wing-T. A lot of the backfield actions are very similar and the blocking schemes use angles to gain advantages up front. I don't think that this offense is boring or for pee wee leagues, but a sound offensive scheme for those teams that have less talent than their opponents. Any offense that exploits defensive reactions is capable of winning.

Just curious...why do 4a and 5a teams "have to sell tickets"? Winning...in any class...sells tickets.

As far as selling tickets I don't know why the 4A and 5A levels would have difficulty selling tickets. Here at Sequatchie our fans tend to show up, I don't think the offensive scheme makes a difference. Maybe the 4A and 5A levels tend to have more fairweather fans. Combined with the fact that athletes capable of being D1 recruits probably evaluate what offensive scheme they want to play in. Offensive scheme can be a recruiting tool to help get players out.

The Wing T isn't an offense many like to watch, but it seems to work! It is all about speed outside the tackles and power inside the tackles with a good mix of misdirection! When ran correctly it can give defense fits all night long! Basically it wins games, but doesn't impress crowds! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

All I know is Coffee County ran the spread and only won an average of a game a year. We switched to the wingt and won an average of six games a year. In five years we had over 8,000 yards from the fullback position, had a 1,500 yard passer and several 1,000 wing backs... Averaged around 350-400 yard a game