Clarksville Donehue

blankguy

This was posted on a local Clarksville athletics message board...

I don't think this was over wins and losses. And I am certain that Mike Gibson is smart enough to know when and when not to fire a coach. In these situations, where neither party talks, there is usually something that nobody wants to talk about. Mike can't comment, because it violates certain protocols of the employee/employer relationship. If Coach Donahue wants to comment, then he will. Otherwise, there are a few who know, and a lot who are guessing. But the school system would not allow a firing of a 30 veteran (whose wife is also an employee @ HQ) without any cause.

This seems to be the opinion that a lot of people around the area are starting to share. It's still just an odd situation...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was posted on a local Clarksville athletics message board...

I don't think this was over wins and losses. And I am certain that Mike Gibson is smart enough to know when and when not to fire a coach. In these situations, where neither party talks, there is usually something that nobody wants to talk about. Mike can't comment, because it violates certain protocols of the employee/employer relationship. If Coach Donahue wants to comment, then he will. Otherwise, there are a few who know, and a lot who are guessing. But the school system would not allow a firing of a 30 veteran (whose wife is also an employee @ HQ) without any cause.

This seems to be the opinion that a lot of people around the area are starting to share. It's still just an odd situation...

You insinuate that Coach D did something improper. If that were the case why would he not be removed from the classroom as well? He was not relieved of his teaching responsibilities, only his coaching job (and a year before he was to retire, on his terms). Coach D is clean, and isn't going to go around beating his chest playing the pity card drawing attention to himself. This guy is one of the greatest coaches, of any sport, in the state of TN and the CHS administration really dropped the ball here.

By the way, his assistant coach is going to take over the program, according to the LC today.

You insinuate that Coach D did something improper. If that were the case why would he not be removed from the classroom as well? He was not relieved of his teaching responsibilities, only his coaching job (and a year before he was to retire, on his terms). Coach D is clean, and isn't going to go around beating his chest playing the pity card drawing attention to himself. This guy is one of the greatest coaches, of any sport, in the state of TN and the CHS administration really dropped the ball here.

By the way, his assistant coach is going to take over the program, according to the LC today.

Believe me, I am not insinuating anything. Being a Clarksville resident, I've heard a lot of conversations about this topic and this was simply one of the opinions that was becoming more prevalent. Just wanted to see what people thought...

Don't shoot the messenger.

This is pretty much appalling. I can think of no greater travesty in high school soccer in the past 20 years. He has run a clean program and for those of you who say that he "abused" some of his players (in reference to some of the messages on leafchronicle.com), you were probably either players who couldn't hack it, parents of players who couldn't hack it, or fans and or players of other teams who got shelled by some of his teams. Correction UPSGregg: he never had a losing season. I'm guessing that the athletic director has someone in mind and doesn't like a warhorse. Probably going to get someone spineless in there just like himself. I used to love Donahue talking in interviews about how "Momma don't drive the bus on this team." Sounds like this guy is probably going to allow the opposite. And I certainly do not want to hear anyone say that "I'm glad someone finally stood up to him." In his 26 year tenure he was straight up with everyone unless they were not. If they were not, then he had nothing to do with you, whether you were a player, coach, fan, administrator, or parent. Wait, I forgot: he didn't deal with parents. So congratulations Clarksville-Montgomery County School System. You have successfully destroyed a legacy and have thrown away one of the most solid rocks in that shamble of a school system since Chuck Babbcock. I don't ever send out sarcastic messages, but this makes me sick. That school system hasn't looked out for one coach or teacher in years.

Again, Congratulations. I predict that program within two years to be on the same level as Montgomery Central or Northwest. My condolances coach. If I were you I'd leave that school and go take that coach's job at Rossview.

Yeah get rid of that Rossview Clown!

Yeah get rid of that Rossview Clown!

That Rossview coach is a clown!!!

After all he's only beaten Clarksville more than vice versa over a 4-year span, something that no one else in the history of the district can claim other than possibly Northeast in the early 90s.

Besides, how can someone who likes music also coach sports? Under qualified if you ask me. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

SARCASM INTENDED IN THIS POST

kyhoopsfan makes an incredible point. The contention of many people is that he did something to catalyze the situation. Abuse does not go unheard. Kids or parents who don't like something are going to find a way to make a situation work for them. I'm sure if Donahue had verbally or physically abused someone we would have heard about it. Let's not forget that he's been there 26 years so there was certainly plenty of opportunity for that to happen. My contention on the other hand is philosophical difference, not verbal or physical abuse. The only verbal abuse that went on was probably when this AD rubbed Donahue the wrong way and Donahue let him know how it was. I'm guessing, if anything, that this athletic director crumbled under the influence of one or two scary parents in his illustrious two-year tenure. Coach Donahue, answer me this. How many parents did you crumble under in 20+ years of coaching. I'm sure your already on counting fingers on your other hand (or falling over in your chair laughing). Let's be realistic. Donahue didn't care about the parents. He cared about the players. The reason for this is (and I'm sure that most coaches will agree) is parents don't go to school, practice, take tests or play soccer for 80 minutes. The kids do. Thus, why should Donahue or any other coach for that matter waste his or her time with the parents (unless of course they're boosters)? That's what spineless guys like Mike Gibson don't understand. All parents can do is talk. In the end they can threaten, but they can do nothing. Mike Gibson sure made something out of nothing.

Again congratulations Coach Donahue: You've just been Knighted... Bobby Knighted.

• 8 months later...

That Rossview coach is a clown!!!

After all he's only beaten Clarksville more than vice versa over a 4-year span, something that no one else in the history of the district can claim other than possibly Northeast in the early 90s.

Besides, how can someone who likes music also coach sports? Under qualified if you ask me. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

SARCASM INTENDED IN THIS POST

how many district championships has that coach at rossview won? how many did donahue win?