Same old Story

Indian

Here is the district I'd have for the Jackson privates ("District 6"):

Carroll Academy, Jackson Christian, Trinity Christian, Fayette Academy, Jackson University School

Regions in basketball, other sports, first round of football playoffs would be against this group ("District 5"):

Clarksville Academy, BGA, Davidson Academy, St. Cecilia, University School of Nashville, Nashville Christian, David Lipscomb, Franklin Road Academy

That's eight teams but it also includes St Cecilia and non-football playing USN. Lipscomb could also be playing in the projected larger class depending on the enrollment cutoff. I think they'd do fine.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a totally incorrect statement too. Most of those schools aren't new.

MTCS - founded in 1960

MJCA - founded in 1979

Columbia Academy - originally founded in 1905 as a military school; incarnation as a Christian school in 1979

Trinity - founded in 1986

Nashville Christian - founded in 1971

Grace Baptist - can't find, but the church was founded in 1985

Grace Chrisitan - founded in 1996

Fayette Academy - founded in 1965

Except for Grace Baptist (since I can't find their founding date online), all are at least 23 years old except for 1. That one is 12 years old.

What definition are you using for "new"? The convenient dismissing definition that doesn't fit your argument or something else? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

New to TSSAA sports and/or new programs such as football. Was that so hard to figure out? Also I said some of those, not all of those.

1. The cost of providing financial aid if you expect to compete on a level plain. I am not talking about competing with MBA, BA or Ensworth. I am talking about competing with Goodpasture, FRA and Davidson Academy.

2. The cost of travel. You say it would not be a problem. I disagree. Nashville teams playing district or region games in Chattanooga, Memphis or Knoxville.

3. Given the TSSAA's history of treating D2 like a red-headed stepchild, I would not want to be in that situation.

1-Competing on a level plain with who? Davidson Academy, BGA, Sewanee? Many of your current Division I privates would be favored right now in most sports against the current Division II, A privates. Students who do receive aid at current Division I privates, right now they're supposed to be ineligible for varsity sports, would be eligible. That should be another plus. Chattanooga Christian for one claims financial aid is available for their school.

2-In the smaller class, Nashville teams wouldn't be playing in district or region games against Chattanooga, Memphis or Knoxville. They'd have their own local districts or regions, whatever they'd be termed, with regions against Jackson or midstate teams.

3-Pointless.

I'm still trying to figure out why Soddy has to beat GPS at State... Some schools have good programs, like I said earlier. The best kids are gonna want to go there, PERIOD. Also I don't see where this "private schools are all there at the end" stuff is true. A football 1 out of final 8 was private, AA 2 out of Final 8 were private, AAA 1 out of 8 was private. 4 out of 24 were private, 16%. Girls Basketball had no privates at State in A or AA. Boys Basketball had 3 out of both divisions, who were all three put out first round. 3 out of 32, less than 10%. In Baseball, 5 out of 16 for 31%. Softball, 3 out 16 for 19%

I don't know why I'm even bothering to actually provide these numbers because those of you who believe that your teams have been slighted don't care. After the private schools go, then it will turn to someone else and so on and so on. You'll find some reason to whine until everyone gets a trophy at the end of the season, and no one is considered a winner, just a participant.

New to TSSAA sports and/or new programs such as football. Was that so hard to figure out? Also I said some of those, not all of those.

Ah, back to dismissing, smoke and mirrors again. I am enjoying the show though. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

So what you are saying is that new programs can't win and the only reason they don't win is because they are new programs, correct? Perhaps you should have a talk with the fine folks at Ravenwood and Independence about their football programs. Madison Magnet in Jackson about their basketball team. Or Wilson Central about their girls basketball team.

With all the resources and advantages that you (the royal "you" in terms of private haters - but geared at the literal you too) claim private schools have, wouldn't you think that some of the "new programs" would explode onto the scene like a Ravenwood? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I'm sure the argument back now will be, "well, I meant "new" in that they have "new" athletic team logos and we all know you can't win if you have new team logos". /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

After the private schools go, then it will turn to someone else and so on and so on. You'll find some reason to whine until everyone gets a trophy at the end of the season, and no one is considered a winner, just a participant.

Exactly! Junior gets a participation trophy that says State Champ ... but they didn't actually keep score in any games. Sissy-fication of America is living loud and proud in TN! Or at least on this board. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Ah, back to dismissing, smoke and mirrors again. I am enjoying the show though. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

So what you are saying is that new programs can't win and the only reason they don't win is because they are new programs, correct? Perhaps you should have a talk with the fine folks at Ravenwood and Independence about their football programs. Madison Magnet in Jackson about their basketball team. Or Wilson Central about their girls basketball team.

With all the resources and advantages that you (the royal "you" in terms of private haters - but geared at the literal you too) claim private schools have, wouldn't you think that some of the "new programs" would explode onto the scene like a Ravenwood? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I'm sure the argument back now will be, "well, I meant "new" in that they have "new" athletic team logos and we all know you can't win if you have new team logos". /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Some of these small schools have already started doing well. The smallest ones haven't, yet. If you really feel there's a valid comparson between large schools like Ravenwood and Wilson Central, and small private schools like Mt Juliet Christian, there's really no use in discussing it with you any more.

Correction on the D1 private schools.........USJ has not made the playoffs in football since the multiplier rule took effect. Boys basketball was something like 13-2 out of district this year playing similar size schools, and did not win a game in district (of course enrollment of approx 400 playing schools with 900 enrollment will do that) Girls basketball has not made it out of district since multiplier.......Athletes in these sports that have been there since Pre-K (no, they were not recruited at that point) are leaving to play at other single A schools because tired of getting beat up every Friday night. Now if TSSAA can figure out a way to kill the spring sports, maybe they will have their mission accomplished.

I don't know where yall do your math at but x.8 doesn't change your numbers all that much , In fact most of the time your gonna play at the same level you would without the multiplier.

For example a school with 400 students would be multiplied to what 480.

Either way if you guys are that at that big of a disadvantage because of the multiplier go to D2 they won't multiply you there.

Some of these small schools have already started doing well. The smallest ones haven't, yet. If you really feel there's a valid comparson between large schools like Ravenwood and Wilson Central, and small private schools like Mt Juliet Christian, there's really no use in discussing it with you any more.

It is totally valid. It isn't to you because it doesn't validate your argument.

Let me make the comparison between MJCA and Wilson Central - where I do consider myself an uber expert because I live in Wilson Co., I've attended the church that houses MJCA (MJ First Baptist) my entire life while participating humongously with church ministries of which MJCA is the largest, and I live in the Wilson Central school zone (with two relatives that teach there).

MJCA is a private school. Their size is comparable to Friendship (making FCS one of your "smallest ones" then too - and successful) as opposed to 2A schools in the area like DCA, Ezell and GP. Their football program is 6 years old and sits in the Wilson Central "zone".

Wilson Central is a 5A public school. Their football program is 7 years old, but they are now sporting 2 different 10 win seasons already. Don't even get me started about the girls basketball program and the former strength of the boys program.

How are they not comparable on any level?

The area economics of the population are the same. Geographically, a 5 minute drive from one to the other (take away Providence traffic nightmare road construction). Both "new programs". Beyond that, isn't the argument that private schools have more resources? So MJCA has more money to spend in their programs, right? And not only do they have full access to the WC zone, but they also have access to the full Mt. Juliet High School zone students (whose zone is about 2 miles away), and the passthrough Lebanon High traffic whose parents work in Nashville, right? Last I checked, Mt. Juliet High is pretty decent at a lot of athletic endeavors - baseball, softball, football since Coach Perry, girls basketball. (I won't mention Lebanon since they think their programs are great, but they are a bunch of never has beens. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> )

Now, why in the world is Wilson Central having success in athletics - infinitely so in football since that is your example - compared to MJCA? I mean, MJCA has all the advantages, right? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Trinity has been part of the TSSAA since 1996, not exactly a new kid on the block. In 13 years, they have won 2 team state championships(both in softball), just now won their first ever football region championship and boys basketball District Tournament(they ended up 5th in regular season). I don't exactly think they've been beating down the publics for any amount of time, yet you feel since they have had recent success in ONE sport that it's just unfair for publics to have to play them. There are a ton of other schools just like Trinity, but you want to group us all into one.

I don't know where yall do your math at but x.8 doesn't change your numbers all that much , In fact most of the time your gonna play at the same level you would without the multiplier.

For example a school with 400 students would be multiplied to what 480.

Either way if you guys are that at that big of a disadvantage because of the multiplier go to D2 they won't multiply you there.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was just 0.8, but it's 1.8. 400 goes to 720. Maybe if you would sit down and actually LOOK at the facts, some of your preconceived notions might change.