Spring Fling - Major Ripoff

greenergrass

The "crappy" part of your statement was the absurd part.

Football tournament has 31 games per class * 5 classes = 155 games with crowds 3 and 4 times every baseball game + D II....this guy is an idiot.

their is a HUGE difference in attendence between football and baseball...in football your gonna get about 10,000 people for a 5A playoff game in the later rounds in baseball a the finals at RIVERDALE there was a little over 200

Before you start callin people idiots run some numbers from the District tourney to State then see if you come out with the same drastic difference. TSSAA gets gate from these games starting with District as well. Correct me if I am wrong(and I am sure you will). My comparison was based on just the Championships in football and Baseball. And do they kick everyone out of the stadium between games or can you pay one price and watch all games in each class in the Finals. It has been a while since I have gone to the Football championships.

And if Football is much more successful and brings in more money then how would you feel about Football covering the sports like Baseball(according to you guys) that don't bring in profit. I'm in.

Never have I resorted to name callin. People sure are brave on these message boards. Never in any of my posts have I insulted anyone personally. If you are offended by opinions then you need to stop reading these boards. But to start name callin is far more "absurd" or classless" than I have ever been on here. I have never singled out any team, player, coach, fan, etc. Making a general statement that I don't like soccer, tennis, track, etc. isn't that bad. I guess we live in such a PC country now you have to love everything. Well I don't. My 10 year old daughter plays soccer. That is what she wants to do. I encourage and cheer for her just as much if she was playing softball. Do I understand the game? Yes. Do I respect athletes who work hard and excel in these sports? Yes. Would I prefer her to play softball? Yes. Never have I discouraged her about soccer. If you think I am an idiot thats fine. But keep the name callin face to face. Surely you can express your disagreement without name callin. I enjoy the back and forth banter and difference of opinion. If everyone agreed on everything these boards would be boring. But personally attacking someone with a difference of opinion or different outlook is wrong. Run the numbers for baseball from every District game to the Finals and see if it is not a little closer.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you start callin people idiots run some numbers from the District tourney to State then see if you come out with the same drastic difference. TSSAA gets gate from these games starting with District as well. Correct me if I am wrong(and I am sure you will). My comparison was based on just the Championships in football and Baseball. And do they kick everyone out of the stadium between games or can you pay one price and watch all games in each class in the Finals. It has been a while since I have gone to the Football championships.

And if Football is much more successful and brings in more money then how would you feel about Football covering the sports like Baseball(according to you guys) that don't bring in profit. I'm in.

Never have I resorted to name callin. People sure are brave on these message boards. Never in any of my posts have I insulted anyone personally. If you are offended by opinions then you need to stop reading these boards. But to start name callin is far more "absurd" or classless" than I have ever been on here. I have never singled out any team, player, coach, fan, etc. Making a general statement that I don't like soccer, tennis, track, etc. isn't that bad. I guess we live in such a PC country now you have to love everything. Well I don't. My 10 year old daughter plays soccer. That is what she wants to do. I encourage and cheer for her just as much if she was playing softball. Do I understand the game? Yes. Do I respect athletes who work hard and excel in these sports? Yes. Would I prefer her to play softball? Yes. Never have I discouraged her about soccer. If you think I am an idiot thats fine. But keep the name callin face to face. Surely you can express your disagreement without name callin. I enjoy the back and forth banter and difference of opinion. If everyone agreed on everything these boards would be boring. But personally attacking someone with a difference of opinion or different outlook is wrong. Run the numbers for baseball from every District game to the Finals and see if it is not a little closer.

I'm sure it is pretty much the same in every State that it is harder for the minor sports to generate revenue due to the one fact that there are fewer kids on roster which means less parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles attending their games/tournaments which means less money coming in. Football IS pretty much a self-supporting sport and there is nothing anyone can do about that. More kids involved which means more relatives, friends, fans, etc attending games and buying concessions. There IS no need for name calling or bashing the minor sports at any school. I know for a fact that the minor sports at So. Pittsburg struggle the same way as other schools. At most schools football is probably the most popular sport but you cannot blame the sport for that. It is just the way of life for high school athletics. As far as the Spring Fling is concerned, it is a great set-up. We had the privilege to partcipate in the 1996 Spring Fling in Chattanooga and won the '96 1A State Baseball Championship in baseball. I do not know how much we had to pay to get in the games for I was so excited for our kids to have the experience, I didn't really care at the time. We were just so happy to be there. I do not know who pays for what or how money is divided among participating schools but I do KNOW that having to pay $7.00 for a preschool child is ridiculous especially with the economy as it is today but I paid for my 2 year old grandson to get into our football playoff games and the championship game just as paid for myself. One way to look at it is that my school received a fraction of that $7.00 I paid for him to get in to the games. I do know that the TSSAA generates more funds than they spend on the kids that participate in high school athletics. There was an earlier post that someone had heard South Pittsburg received $30,000 for playoff revenue this past year. Don't think that was true. We may have turned over that amount to the TSSAA, but I am 95% sure that we DID NOT receive that much!!! My belief is that our kids are much more valuable to the TSSAA than the TSSAA rewards them.

Just be glad that any child wants to participate in any athletic activity their school is able to offer. They do learn more than the sport itself. I rather them be on the soccer field or tennis court than doing nothing in their spare time. Spare time can sometimes be bad news.

I agree the prices are ridiculous and the parking away from the field and then having to pay is even more ridiculous. I had to work the parking lot crew at MTCS and we were told that everyone who parked on campus had to pay the $5 fee for a parking pass. I didnt like having to make people walking up to the parking lot pay but TSSAA told us that it was very strict this year. We also had to make players pay who didnt recieve a pass...thats a bit too much...if your team is not issued enough passes they should not be held liable to pay for their players who earned the honor to play in state. My apologies to anyone who had feelings hurt at the MTCS location.

you quoted me and i hope you dont think i was bashing you or begrading you that was not my intent...i was just giving you the attendance for both sessions on thursday at RIVERDALE and i do know that football in the semis live vs oak ridge there is at least 10,000 people there the little over 200 was for the championship side of the bracket so there was no in and out ...i know how you feel about the soccer and softball thing...i am a HUGE football fan but my kids love baseball i enjoy watching my kids play and i like umpiring but i prefer footbal but it isnt what i want its about the kids

as far as football goes there are 2 days of football..and you pay for each day but it is usually too cold to be out there for all three games if you dont have a dog in the hunt lol

you quoted me and i hope you dont think i was bashing you or begrading you that was not my intent...i was just giving you the attendance for both sessions on thursday at RIVERDALE and i do know that football in the semis live vs oak ridge there is at least 10,000 people there the little over 200 was for the championship side of the bracket so there was no in and out ...i know how you feel about the soccer and softball thing...i am a HUGE football fan but my kids love baseball i enjoy watching my kids play and i like umpiring but i prefer footbal but it isnt what i want its about the kids

as far as football goes there are 2 days of football..and you pay for each day but it is usually too cold to be out there for all three games if you dont have a dog in the hunt lol

All of everyones opinions are valid. But lets face the facts. Have common sense in whom you charge and what age you begin. There should always be free parking, if a person wants to walk. This is common sense reasoning and no one person should be able to dictate these rules. We need to petition the state and get some political input to these idiotic procedures. In football you are getting persons from all over who just love the spprt and like good highschool football regardless if they have a kid playing or not. In baseball, you are draining the same families and friends over and over. That is one big difference.