Why don't all Private Schools play in DivII A or AA

Div II privates win all the state championships and in AAA another division were privates win most state championships AAA reserved for public school state championships

There are no private schools in AAA...so I think it would be difficult for them to win a state championship. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a breakdown on how many students enrolled at private schools that received financial aid? And how many students that received this aid play a sport?

What is it that you people don't understand about the difference between D-I and D-II schools? DI private schools don't give scollarships or recruit players.....or atleast they're not supposed to. If you have knowledge of it and can prove it....report it. It's that simple.

As far as the amount of players that play a sport and recieve a scholarship to play......all of them that qualify....in DII.

You probably need to keep it in perspective when you ask a question about private schools. Simplified....are you talking about DI or DII? That will help you understand it better. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

There are no private schools in AAA...so I think it would be difficult for them to win a state championship. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

The reason there are none is because most private schools have numbers to be in A. Because of the multiplier rule some have to play up in AA. Not really sure what your point is I guess. I think most private schools would do pretty well in AAA.

I would think it would be good motivation to build a public school team into a winning program instead of rolling up and quiting every year. What about the public schools that made it to the fling this year.....in my opinion they had as much talent as anyone else. There are alot of teams out there that are loaded with talent and the reason they don't win is because all they hear from the coaches and parents is, "We just can't match up with the privates." You are just telling these kids that they are just not as good as everybody else. I and a bunch of others happen to know better......I know kids in the public schools systems that are the best....they are just not made to believe it.

Man up people and make winners instead of whinners. Sometimes I think these kids would be better off if this whinning bunch of quitters would just all get together and take up knitting or something (I put that mildly....I do have other thoughts of what they can do with their time.....but, that will be in a different post.)

The reason there are none is because most private schools have numbers to be in A. Because of the multiplier rule some have to play up in AA. Not really sure what your point is I guess. I think most private schools would do pretty well in AAA.

I would think it would be good motivation to build a public school team into a winning program instead of rolling up and quiting every year. What about the public schools that made it to the fling this year.....in my opinion they had as much talent as anyone else. There are alot of teams out there that are loaded with talent and the reason they don't win is because all they hear from the coaches and parents is, "We just can't match up with the privates." You are just telling these kids that they are just not as good as everybody else. I and a bunch of others happen to know better......I know kids in the public schools systems that are the best....they are just not made to believe it.

Man up people and make winners instead of whinners. Sometimes I think these kids would be better off if this whinning bunch of quitters would just all get together and take up knitting or something (I put that mildly....I do have other thoughts of what they can do with their time.....but, that will be in a different post.)

All three public schools in Marshall County made up their minds up some time ago to play any opponent, anytime, and win. I have seen all the hard work and dedication it takes to play up to your opponent on the field. That does not belay the fact that will still know we are at a disadvantage. The recruiting thing is a very gray area if you think about it. I really don??™t think the privates have to recruit per say, they just have so much more to offer as far as curriculum, facilities, teacher to student ratio, and alumni with bigger bank accounts than most of the publics. If I lived in Nashville and could afford it, I would probably send my kid to Friendship or in Jackson to Trinity. Most just don??™t have that opportunity in the rural counties, so we just teach our athletes to game up and play anyone. It took us awhile, but this year our public schools, Forrest and Cornersville, finished #1 and #3. We will be ready again next year. Actually, it would be kind of boring if we did not the privates to chase down.

All three public schools in Marshall County made up their minds up some time ago to play any opponent, anytime, and win. I have seen all the hard work and dedication it takes to play up to your opponent on the field. That does not belay the fact that will still know we are at a disadvantage. The recruiting thing is a very gray area if you think about it. I really don??™t think the privates have to recruit per say, they just have so much more to offer as far as curriculum, facilities, teacher to student ratio, and alumni with bigger bank accounts than most of the publics. If I lived in Nashville and could afford it, I would probably send my kid to Friendship or in Jackson to Trinity. Most just don??™t have that opportunity in the rural counties, so we just teach our athletes to game up and play anyone. It took us awhile, but this year our public schools, Forrest and Cornersville, finished #1 and #3. We will be ready again next year. Actually, it would be kind of boring if we did not the privates to chase down.

Well said. To me it all boils down to the ability of the parent to do the best they can for their child. That's the most important thing.

I'll also say this, if you see a successful public system, most of the time it's because of strong parent support. This really is the same thing that happens at the private level. It's people that want better and are willing to work for it to have it.

Believe me I don't have deep enough pockets for private.....and I still support public with taxes and even donations when I can because I still believe in it.

It was said no privates win AAA titles. The POINT is...there are no privates in AAA to win it. Yes...some DI privates would do very well in AAA...especially in baseball and softball. Goodpasture would have been a contender in both.

So...all publics have to do is make up their minds to beat privates. Yeah...I'm sure that will work. I can't believe nobody has thought of that the last six years against GP...and about the previous 12 against Ezell. Really...I don't have a big problem being paired with privates in spring sports. I do have a problem with football.

Well said. To me it all boils down to the ability of the parent to do the best they can for their child. That's the most important thing.

I'll also say this, if you see a successful public system, most of the time it's because of strong parent support. This really is the same thing that happens at the private level. It's people that want better and are willing to work for it to have it.

Believe me I don't have deep enough pockets for private.....and I still support public with taxes and even donations when I can because I still believe in it.

Strong community support

Dedicated and talented Coaches

Parental involvement

A group of kids, willing to go the extra mile, everyday

A burning desire to win

Play the best, anywhere

and as Forrest Coach Becky Cheatham stressed all season, "Never give up, and never give in."

What is it that you people don't understand about the difference between D-I and D-II schools? DI private schools don't give scollarships or recruit players.....or atleast they're not supposed to. If you have knowledge of it and can prove it....report it. It's that simple.

As far as the amount of players that play a sport and recieve a scholarship to play......all of them that qualify....in DII.

You probably need to keep it in perspective when you ask a question about private schools. Simplified....are you talking about DI or DII? That will help you understand it better. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I am trying to understand to whole picture. DII schools can offer scholarships to athletes, correct? Or is it called financial aid? The only schools in DII are private schools, correct? DI has private and public, but the private schools in DI do not offer financial aid or scholarships to their athletes, correct?

Did all this (financial/scholarship to athletes) change within the past couple of years? I was talking to someone last night and when their son was in school, if the school offered him a scholarship or financial aid, they couldn't play a sport.

The big question I have about this whole issue is: Are all the schools in DI on a level playing field? Do private schools in DI have an advantage over public schools, since public schools are restricted to a specific residential zone whereas private schools are not?

Again, I am trying to understand the big picture in this long standing issue and if TSSAA is doing the right thing.

I am trying to understand to whole picture. DII schools can offer scholarships to athletes, correct? Or is it called financial aid? The only schools in DII are private schools, correct? DI has private and public, but the private schools in DI do not offer financial aid or scholarships to their athletes, correct?

Did all this (financial/scholarship to athletes) change within the past couple of years? I was talking to someone last night and when their son was in school, if the school offered him a scholarship or financial aid, they couldn't play a sport.

The big question I have about this whole issue is: Are all the schools in DI on a level playing field? Do private schools in DI have an advantage over public schools, since public schools are restricted to a specific residential zone whereas private schools are not?

Again, I am trying to understand the big picture in this long standing issue and if TSSAA is doing the right thing.

1. Division II which us defined as "shall be those schools whose student-athletes competing at the varsity level may be the recipients of need-based financial aid." started play in 1997.

2. The 1.8 multiplier which applies to all private, or "independent" schools as they are now called, started in 2005.

3. Students at independent schools in Division I cannot participate in sports if they receive financial aid.

Are all the schools in DI on a level playing field? That is the major reason for all this discussion.

DII privates give financial aid on a need basis. They don't give scholarships. How much financial aid is determined by how much is needed to a certain amount. It has been that way since DII was formed in the late 90's. If your friend's kid couldn't play a sport...they were likely at a DI private. They are not allowed to give athletes aid and still play in DI.

DI privates have an advantage due to population base and some argue participation percentages. Most all of them are in dense population areas. Most small publics are in rural areas...so they are zoned by distance to school. Some also argue small public schools that have open zones or tuition playing athletes have the same advantage as small privates. They are referring mainly to Alcoa. It's hard to disagree with that argument.

It's been 2 years since I posted but I had to chime in on this. In the 90's Baylor and Ryan were in AAA and I believe they both won softball titles.

It's been 2 years since I posted but I had to chime in on this. In the 90's Baylor and Ryan were in AAA and I believe they both won softball titles.

Good to see you back. I didn't say...in the past...I said today. Hence...there ARE...not WERE. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Unless Baylor and Ryan drop aid and move back to AAA...it's a moot point.

Did you get to see your old team much this season. I saw them against SC. They were very very good.