Private vs Public

Ok, I have seen first hand the wrath of private school sports. My daughter played for Peabody her Freshman year and had to catch during the game against Goodpasture. This was 4 years ago and they [Goodpasture] are still very strong. Goodpasture baseball has won AA title 2 years in a row right? JCS won the A title and living here in West TN you hear the hype about USJ being a dominant force in every sport. Trinity has strong sport clubs as well.

Peabody (public) had a 4 year run in Girls basketball and now are rebuilding. Milan (public) has had strong sports as well. GCHS (public) has had a strong Girls baseketball program for years, but never seem to get past the first round at state.

What exactly IS the difference. Part of me really feels that there is recruiting going on, yet you can't proove that because if a kid chooses the private school over the public school he/she is zoned for ---well that is their right to do so.

I know it was awesome to see our girls reactions when they beat USJ in basketball and softball to move on to the next level. I also know is easy to want private schools to be bumped up when your child plays for a public school and continues to battle those private schools to get to state championships.

So, should private schools be bumped up a level? Or leave it as it is giving public school teams a driving force.....to BEAT the private school?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, should private schools be bumped up a level? Or leave it as it is giving public school teams a driving force.....to BEAT the private school?

There are 2 levels for private school sports participation.

Number 1 is D2 which holds all the private schools that do offer financial aide to students - MUS, CB, BA, Baylor, BGA, McCallie, etc. So they do not compete with public schools for any championships. In reality, any school could opt to play in this division if they wished - public or private.

Number 2 is D1 private schools that opt to participate with the public schools. Those private schools are "bumped up" already. They have a multiplier applied to their school populations of 1.8. That means a school with 300 students in 1A would have a TSSAA multiplied population of 540 and be in 2A. For example if not for the multiplier, Lipscomb would be in 2A. DCA, Ezell, CPA would be in 1A.

There are 2 levels for private school sports participation.

Number 1 is D2 which holds all the private schools that do offer financial aide to students - MUS, CB, BA, Baylor, BGA, McCallie, etc. So they do not compete with public schools for any championships. In reality, any school could opt to play in this division if they wished - public or private.

Number 2 is D1 private schools that opt to participate with the public schools. Those private schools are "bumped up" already. They have a multiplier applied to their school populations of 1.8. That means a school with 300 students in 1A would have a TSSAA multiplied population of 540 and be in 2A. For example if not for the multiplier, Lipscomb would be in 2A. DCA, Ezell, CPA would be in 1A.

I can speak for both ends because I've had children play at both public and private schools. It isnt equal and not even close. Privates should be divided among those who give financial aid and those that dont (there is a huge difference there too). Publics should play just among publics.

I wont get into coaching, etc that also separate the two groups (Private and Public) but the division is pretty wide.

The multiplier is a joke. JMO.

Ok, I have seen first hand the wrath of private school sports. My daughter played for Peabody her Freshman year and had to catch during the game against Goodpasture. This was 4 years ago and they [Goodpasture] are still very strong. Goodpasture baseball has won AA title 2 years in a row right? JCS won the A title and living here in West TN you hear the hype about USJ being a dominant force in every sport. Trinity has strong sport clubs as well.

Peabody (public) had a 4 year run in Girls basketball and now are rebuilding. Milan (public) has had strong sports as well. GCHS (public) has had a strong Girls baseketball program for years, but never seem to get past the first round at state.

What exactly IS the difference. Part of me really feels that there is recruiting going on, yet you can't proove that because if a kid chooses the private school over the public school he/she is zoned for ---well that is their right to do so.

I know it was awesome to see our girls reactions when they beat USJ in basketball and softball to move on to the next level. I also know is easy to want private schools to be bumped up when your child plays for a public school and continues to battle those private schools to get to state championships.

Peabody is the team that beat USJ for the State Championship in 2005 in Single A. Since then, USJ has been in double A and not gotten out of district. Peabody football destroyed USJ this year (as did almost every one else) so your kids should be happy. It looks like to me that you need to be more worried about Bradford girls (oh, that's right they are public too with 7 State Championships under their belt) or Gleason girls (oh, that's right, they are public too) than you do about private schools in Jackson. Maybe your "driving force" is only 12 miles to the East of you in the Doodle Soup Capital???????????????

Uh...................what?

What is the date on your "hype" source?

You might as well go ahead and mark off USJ girls basketball for next couple years as being a "dominant force" in all probability. Just heard from friend that goes to USJ that Adrian Sanders, who is the franchise, is not coming back next year due to financial reasons. Think there is a little "recruiting" going on between Jackson North Side and Madison Academic to get her to come to their "public - non recruiting, non-multiplied" schools. A big loss for USJ. Just a thought---if there is as much under the table things going on, don't you think they could have come up with someone to pay her tuition? Or maybe, just maybe, this private school is trying to play everything above the table regardless of the cost to the program ? I wish her well and know USJ is sorry to see her go, but just hope this gives something for the private haters to chew on.

(I hear she is applying for hardship to be able to play next year which I hope is granted, but will be interesting to see if private to public is granted for financials reasons when the Williams girl who transferred from NorthSide to Trinity, public to private, who was not comfortable for safety reasons after cops were called to school multiple times in first week, was denied hardship)

Or USJ could be playing Division II, and if aid could be obtained she would eligible there.

And drive the tuition out the roof for the tuition paying non athletes, which would cause a mass exodus to Trinity and Jackson Christian. Financially, it does not make sense, but thanks for your concern and input.

You might as well go ahead and mark off USJ girls basketball for next couple years as being a "dominant force" in all probability. Just heard from friend that goes to USJ that Adrian Sanders, who is the franchise, is not coming back next year due to financial reasons. Think there is a little "recruiting" going on between Jackson North Side and Madison Academic to get her to come to their "public - non recruiting, non-multiplied" schools. A big loss for USJ. Just a thought---if there is as much under the table things going on, don't you think they could have come up with someone to pay her tuition? Or maybe, just maybe, this private school is trying to play everything above the table regardless of the cost to the program ? I wish her well and know USJ is sorry to see her go, but just hope this gives something for the private haters to chew on.

(I hear she is applying for hardship to be able to play next year which I hope is granted, but will be interesting to see if private to public is granted for financials reasons when the Williams girl who transferred from NorthSide to Trinity, public to private, who was not comfortable for safety reasons after cops were called to school multiple times in first week, was denied hardship)

It would be unusual to have that exception made. My bet is she will be ineligible.

It would be unusual to have that exception made. My bet is she will be ineligible.

A private to public school change is one of the most common, especially when claims of financial hardships are the reason. TSSAA regularly grants eligibility under the circumstances. TSSAA takes the stance that if it is a legitimate hardship, the student should not be punished for situations that are out of their control. If there is a true hardship proven, she will be ruled eligible.

A private to public school change is one of the most common, especially when claims of financial hardships are the reason. TSSAA regularly grants eligibility under the circumstances. TSSAA takes the stance that if it is a legitimate hardship, the student should not be punished for situations that are out of their control. If there is a true hardship proven, she will be ruled eligible.

I truly do hope that is the case. She is much too good of a player to have to sit out a year because of politics and no fault of her own. Whoever gets her will have a player that truly could be a season changer.

Yes - a true family financial hardship is usually granted. It has to be fairly severe though - loss of a job that there is not chance to replace, bankruptcy, near foreclosure, etc. They'll have to open the books to the "researcher".

Hopefully, they won't bring the, "gas is so expensive now" routine or even better the "wow, we didn't realize how expensive private school really was" act. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />