Private vs Public

Grace Academy: Transfer Fuquan Harper (6-0, 170) could become a receiving weapon for Blake...

Where'd this guy come in from?

Boyd-Buchanan: Head coach Grant Reynolds also is eager to see young offensive lineman Vencente Jordan (6-3, 320) and defensive end Devin Caldwell (6-5, 260) in action.

Are these two new, I don't remember them having anyone near that size last year.

Thanks. The post wasn't to imply there was any monkey business with the transfer.

If you think all of that is bashing or being all over those teams, oh well.

The basketball discussion is about Molly Heady who played at Monterey the last two years and is one of the best players in Class A. Monterey has a good, competitive program but the family chose to move to Clarkrange, last year's A runner up and the clear favorite this year with several players returning. Adding to the controversy is the fact her dad is the head football coach at Monterey and has stated he wishes to continue in that position. (Clarkrange has no football team, probably figures into that decision).

As for Bighurt, go back and read the basketball thread again.

You still did not answer my question.

I read your post. You remain fixated what private schools like Boyd and Grace are doing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I was interested in knowing if Boyd-Buchanan had added linemen just as I would have been interested in Bledsoe, Marion or Tyner, the other teams in Sequatchie's football region. One iof them didn't play much and one was injured at times, the reason for the unfamiliarity with them. And I was interested in knowing about the Grace player since the article impllied he is talented.

What question? I don't think families should move for sports unless it's a extreme case-a sport folding like Temple football, not having that sport such as no football at Clarkrange. The player involved plays on a high level summer team where college coaches see her regularly, whether she plays at Clarkrange or Monterey would make no difference in recruiting.

Just because I think private schools should be in different divisions doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be allowed to be competing. If you think that's "fixated", oh well.

Peabody is the team that beat USJ for the State Championship in 2005 in Single A. Since then, USJ has been in double A and not gotten out of district. Peabody football destroyed USJ this year (as did almost every one else) so your kids should be happy. It looks like to me that you need to be more worried about Bradford girls (oh, that's right they are public too with 7 State Championships under their belt) or Gleason girls (oh, that's right, they are public too) than you do about private schools in Jackson. Maybe your "driving force" is only 12 miles to the East of you in the Doodle Soup Capital???????????????

Not sure what hit your nerve, but I am only curious about how others feel on this topic. I am quite aware of Bradford's girls basketball teams accomplishments and Gleasons as well...............and not "worried" about them at all. POWER to the PUBLIC SCHOOLS. I've just heard the public/private debate for years and I thought I'd get input from here. So, I think you've missed the point.....it's not about being "worried" about other schools beating you, it's about the fairness of players playing against you. You know, kinda like in summer league and everyone blames the best team for being "stacked"? Some think it's "not fair"--- not saying I do. I just wanted to put some thought out there to both sides. Surely the private school folks can see where the public school folks are coming from in thinking there could be recruiting going on AND surely the public school folks can see where the private school folks are coming from in that they just have a program that attracts kids in certain areas.

Thank you and come again.

Not sure what hit your nerve, but I am only curious about how others feel on this topic. I am quite aware of Bradford's girls basketball teams accomplishments and Gleasons as well...............and not "worried" about them at all. POWER to the PUBLIC SCHOOLS. I've just heard the public/private debate for years and I thought I'd get input from here. So, I think you've missed the point.....it's not about being "worried" about other schools beating you, it's about the fairness of players playing against you. You know, kinda like in summer league and everyone blames the best team for being "stacked"? Some think it's "not fair"--- not saying I do. I just wanted to put some thought out there to both sides. Surely the private school folks can see where the public school folks are coming from in thinking there could be recruiting going on AND surely the public school folks can see where the private school folks are coming from in that they just have a program that attracts kids in certain areas.

Thank you and come again.

From your original post and yep, struck a nerve:

"Ok, I have seen first hand the wrath of private school sports....... living here in West TN you hear the hype about USJ being a dominant force in every sport.."

"Part of me really feels that there is recruiting going on, yet you can't proove that because if a kid chooses the private school over the public school he/she is zoned for ---well that is their right to do so."

"I know it was awesome to see our girls reactions when they beat USJ in basketball and softball to move on to the next level. I also know is easy to want private schools to be bumped up when your child plays for a public school and continues to battle those private schools to get to state championships".

Seems you continue to bash USJ, but yet your girls won the state championship over USJ in 2005 and your football teams have destroyed them in the past few years. You state there is recruiting going on, but yet have not a clue what you are talking about. If you look at the USJ Jr. High basketball teams now, the major majority of both boys and girls have been there since kindergarden. I have pictures of the starting 7 players on the current team that were on the USJ PAL teams in the 3rd grade, so tell me again how they were recruited at that age???????????? Guess that goes back to the "wrath of private school sports"---maybe we have the money to test their gene pool at that age and see if they are going to capabal athletes........or maybe, just maybe they have worked their tails off trying to get better and playing together for all these years..(just as the state championship team from Peabody group had when they won the state (which by the way, we were really happy for since they were fellow West Tennessee team)).

Just played a team camp this week against Gibson County where they pulled the best from the team at Medina and the best of the team from Dyer/Gibson/Yorkville, which both had really good teams last year. We will be playing the same 7 that have been at school since 3rd grade, but yet TSSAA, in their wisdom is saying that we have to be multiplied to play in the same classification to "level the playing field" or as you say "fairness of the players playing against you"........maybe the TSSAA members are just glad to see the "reaction when they beat USJ"

Maybe we should just move to CR/Jackson County where you just move to the best team to give more "Power to the Publics" as you so eloquently state. I grew up in publics and honestly wish I was back in a small town where the entire town supports the teams and you go to school for free and get a decent education. But, until you have lived in Jackson and seen the public education here, you really don't know what you are missing. The side effect of paying your taxes and then paying $6-7,000 per year to do what you think is best for your child is that you continually get bashed and ridiculed as being elitist, silver spoons (direct quote off this message board), and multiplied in sports to play schools 3 times your size. (happened last week by people pulling their boat to the river, which I can't afford).

I expect that you are rolling your eyes by now at post, but know you know where you hit the nerve.

Have a great day.

From your original post and yep, struck a nerve:

"Ok, I have seen first hand the wrath of private school sports....... living here in West TN you hear the hype about USJ being a dominant force in every sport.."

"Part of me really feels that there is recruiting going on, yet you can't proove that because if a kid chooses the private school over the public school he/she is zoned for ---well that is their right to do so."

"I know it was awesome to see our girls reactions when they beat USJ in basketball and softball to move on to the next level. I also know is easy to want private schools to be bumped up when your child plays for a public school and continues to battle those private schools to get to state championships".

Seems you continue to bash USJ, but yet your girls won the state championship over USJ in 2005 and your football teams have destroyed them in the past few years. You state there is recruiting going on, but yet have not a clue what you are talking about. If you look at the USJ Jr. High basketball teams now, the major majority of both boys and girls have been there since kindergarden. I have pictures of the starting 7 players on the current team that were on the USJ PAL teams in the 3rd grade, so tell me again how they were recruited at that age???????????? Guess that goes back to the "wrath of private school sports"---maybe we have the money to test their gene pool at that age and see if they are going to capabal athletes........or maybe, just maybe they have worked their tails off trying to get better and playing together for all these years..(just as the state championship team from Peabody group had when they won the state (which by the way, we were really happy for since they were fellow West Tennessee team)).

Just played a team camp this week against Gibson County where they pulled the best from the team at Medina and the best of the team from Dyer/Gibson/Yorkville, which both had really good teams last year. We will be playing the same 7 that have been at school since 3rd grade, but yet TSSAA, in their wisdom is saying that we have to be multiplied to play in the same classification to "level the playing field" or as you say "fairness of the players playing against you"........maybe the TSSAA members are just glad to see the "reaction when they beat USJ"

Maybe we should just move to CR/Jackson County where you just move to the best team to give more "Power to the Publics" as you so eloquently state. I grew up in publics and honestly wish I was back in a small town where the entire town supports the teams and you go to school for free and get a decent education. But, until you have lived in Jackson and seen the public education here, you really don't know what you are missing. The side effect of paying your taxes and then paying $6-7,000 per year to do what you think is best for your child is that you continually get bashed and ridiculed as being elitist, silver spoons (direct quote off this message board), and multiplied in sports to play schools 3 times your size. (happened last week by people pulling their boat to the river, which I can't afford).

I expect that you are rolling your eyes by now at post, but know you know where you hit the nerve.

Have a great day.

WHOA there Nellie..................I NEVER bashed USJ and I NEVER said that 'there is recruiting going on'. I said that "Part of me really feels that there is recruiting going on, yet you can't proove that because if a kid chooses the private school over the public school he/she is zoned for ---well that is their right to do so." People do think there is recruiting going on and I can see why; however, I also feel that if they choose to go to a private school, that IS THERE RIGHT! So I am trying to give those that think it's all about recruting a different perspective. I also said it's easy to think "recruiting" when your child is getting beat by the private school---perhaps I should have said we only think it when........ I in no way meant to bash USJ nor do I say that they ARE recruiting. "Wrath" was perhaps too strong a word, it sounds bad now that I read it, but I didn't mean it that way. I'm looking back at my post and now I can see how someone might take it as bashing. In being thrilled to see the faces of those kids that beat USJ in basketball and softball I will never apologize for. They worked hard (as I know USJ kids did too) but these were MY KIDS & FRIENDS and it made me happy to see them happy. I was using that to possible give the "private school bashers" per say, an incentive to leave things alone and give public athletes to fend for themselves. Please understand, I was actually trying to get people to see it both ways, not make things worse.

WHOA there Nellie..................I NEVER bashed USJ and I NEVER said that 'there is recruiting going on'. I said that "Part of me really feels that there is recruiting going on, yet you can't proove that because if a kid chooses the private school over the public school he/she is zoned for ---well that is their right to do so." People do think there is recruiting going on and I can see why; however, I also feel that if they choose to go to a private school, that IS THERE RIGHT! So I am trying to give those that think it's all about recruting a different perspective. I also said it's easy to think "recruiting" when your child is getting beat by the private school---perhaps I should have said we only think it when........ I in no way meant to bash USJ nor do I say that they ARE recruiting. "Wrath" was perhaps too strong a word, it sounds bad now that I read it, but I didn't mean it that way. I'm looking back at my post and now I can see how someone might take it as bashing. In being thrilled to see the faces of those kids that beat USJ in basketball and softball I will never apologize for. They worked hard (as I know USJ kids did too) but these were MY KIDS & FRIENDS and it made me happy to see them happy. I was using that to possible give the "private school bashers" per say, an incentive to leave things alone and give public athletes to fend for themselves. Please understand, I was actually trying to get people to see it both ways, not make things worse.

Ok, I have said my piece so I will leave it alone. I will give you the point about being thrilled to see your kids beat any team after they have put in a lot of hard work. You know, when it boils down to it, the kids don't get nearly as torn down about it as we do as parents, which is a really good thing.

Ok, I have said my piece so I will leave it alone. I will give you the point about being thrilled to see your kids beat any team after they have put in a lot of hard work. You know, when it boils down to it, the kids don't get nearly as torn down about it as we do as parents, which is a really good thing.

HA.............YOU ARE CORRECT ON THAT ONE, FRIEND!!!!!

No, I was interested in knowing if Boyd-Buchanan had added linemen just as I would have been interested in Bledsoe, Marion or Tyner, the other teams in Sequatchie's football region. One iof them didn't play much and one was injured at times, the reason for the unfamiliarity with them. And I was interested in knowing about the Grace player since the article impllied he is talented.

What question? I don't think families should move for sports unless it's a extreme case-a sport folding like Temple football, not having that sport such as no football at Clarkrange. The player involved plays on a high level summer team where college coaches see her regularly, whether she plays at Clarkrange or Monterey would make no difference in recruiting.

Just because I think private schools should be in different divisions doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be allowed to be competing. If you think that's "fixated", oh well.

Just fyi those two guys (Devin and Vincente) aren't transfers. They both played last year but weren't starters...one was a Freshman and the other a Sophomore. By 'new' I think Coach R meant 'new to starting positions/lots of PT'. Great young men...I like them a lot.

I realize that you two have kind of "come to an agreement" if you will.......yet I can't pass up the opportunity to chime in, especially since that last few threads have touched on a specific subject that hits home with myself!

I sit and read all of this Public-Private debate, usually just keeping to myself, yet when the opportunity to chime in comes up.....well here goes!

The mere fact that the TSSAA sees a 1.8 multiplier as fair and just......ABSOLUTELY BLOWS MY MIND! For every Private championship they are trying so hard to negate....there are 75-100 struggling programs which have become nothing more than "easy wins" for the publics (yet that is what was wanted in the first place, right?). The mere comment in the beginning about USJ being a "dominant force" was obviously based on "pre-2005" experiences.

Since the multiplier went in to effect........the football and basketball programs @ USJ have become nothing more notches in the win colums for all the public district and regional foes. Only with the patented TSSAA match does a school with an upperclass enrollment of 360 or so end up in the same district as an inner city school of 1100 (JNS)!

But this is fair...right? As for recruitment......if building a winning tradition at a school (baseball) makes others who can afford want to attend your school.....then I guess we are recruiting. As for out and out recruitment....NOT HAPPENING...period. How can you look at the boys and girls basketball programs and think that. If it was...then

the Sanders girl would not be leaving and Casey Prather would be headlining with a Bruin paw on his headband!

Baseball is not a "size matters" sport! And....I can tell you now, with the line of kids coming up (that, by the way have been there since kindergarten), you can stick them in D2 AA and they will still compete! There is nothing the TSSAA can do about that, although I'm sure they will come up with something.

I too have the same PAL pictures of the boys who have come up playing basketball together! Our only problem now is some of these multisport atheletes will probably choose not to play the sports in which there will never be any way to compete! Slowly these programs will deterioate even more and then you want have to worry about the Privates at all.......but guess what, there will be some other issue.......some other "thorn" in the Public's side!

I, myself, wish there was a split! Schools of the same size should play each other! In the modern times of the "multi-homed" parents and Magnet schools, there is no way to make this fair for all.....absoulutely no way!

The way I understand it is this. The multiplier was put in to effect to give the Public A schools a chance to win......right? But...the same winning Privates moved up and won in AA anyway in particular sports! Now....it's the AA schools not wanting to play! So there are two options..Split them or increase the multiplier factor in order to move them up to AAA! I know they are voting on doing away with it all together, yet does anyone ACTUALLY think that will happen......NOPE! Every decision made by the TSSAA is targeting specific sports in particular divisions at particular schools! Noone is actually looking at what it is doing to the remaining sports at these schools!

I agree totally with the comments about the kids not caring as much as the parents on this topic but I will say this.

They don't fully understand all the politics involved......the only conclusion they make is...."we are not as good as the people we are playing against". They don't understand why, that's just all they see. Ironic, I think? Isn't that exactly opposite of what they have always been accused of being?

None of this is directed at the first poster and I apologize if it seemed so..........just venting!