Private vs Public

Just fyi those two guys (Devin and Vincente) aren't transfers. They both played last year but weren't starters...one was a Freshman and the other a Sophomore. By 'new' I think Coach R meant 'new to starting positions/lots of PT'. Great young men...I like them a lot.

Just to echo what Baldcoach said, those two guys have been at BBS since at least middle school. Like a lot of bigger kids, they have been "late bloomers" in terms of development, but they are coming on. I know Devin's brother (Darryl Caldwell, Jr.) graduated from BBS in 2001 so his family has been associated with the school for a few years. BTW, his dad, Darryl Caldwell, Sr. had a nice career in the NFL after playing for UTC and TSU in the late 1970's or early '80's. I know he played for the Jets and Bills. Also played one season or so in the USFL with Memphis and Reggie White.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that you two have kind of "come to an agreement" if you will.......yet I can't pass up the opportunity to chime in, especially since that last few threads have touched on a specific subject that hits home with myself!

I sit and read all of this Public-Private debate, usually just keeping to myself, yet when the opportunity to chime in comes up.....well here goes!

The mere fact that the TSSAA sees a 1.8 multiplier as fair and just......ABSOLUTELY BLOWS MY MIND! For every Private championship they are trying so hard to negate....there are 75-100 struggling programs which have become nothing more than "easy wins" for the publics (yet that is what was wanted in the first place, right?). The mere comment in the beginning about USJ being a "dominant force" was obviously based on "pre-2005" experiences.

Since the multiplier went in to effect........the football and basketball programs @ USJ have become nothing more notches in the win colums for all the public district and regional foes. Only with the patented TSSAA match does a school with an upperclass enrollment of 360 or so end up in the same district as an inner city school of 1100 (JNS)!

But this is fair...right? As for recruitment......if building a winning tradition at a school (baseball) makes others who can afford want to attend your school.....then I guess we are recruiting. As for out and out recruitment....NOT HAPPENING...period. How can you look at the boys and girls basketball programs and think that. If it was...then

the Sanders girl would not be leaving and Casey Prather would be headlining with a Bruin paw on his headband!

Baseball is not a "size matters" sport! And....I can tell you now, with the line of kids coming up (that, by the way have been there since kindergarten), you can stick them in D2 AA and they will still compete! There is nothing the TSSAA can do about that, although I'm sure they will come up with something.

I too have the same PAL pictures of the boys who have come up playing basketball together! Our only problem now is some of these multisport atheletes will probably choose not to play the sports in which there will never be any way to compete! Slowly these programs will deterioate even more and then you want have to worry about the Privates at all.......but guess what, there will be some other issue.......some other "thorn" in the Public's side!

I, myself, wish there was a split! Schools of the same size should play each other! In the modern times of the "multi-homed" parents and Magnet schools, there is no way to make this fair for all.....absoulutely no way!

The way I understand it is this. The multiplier was put in to effect to give the Public A schools a chance to win......right? But...the same winning Privates moved up and won in AA anyway in particular sports! Now....it's the AA schools not wanting to play! So there are two options..Split them or increase the multiplier factor in order to move them up to AAA! I know they are voting on doing away with it all together, yet does anyone ACTUALLY think that will happen......NOPE! Every decision made by the TSSAA is targeting specific sports in particular divisions at particular schools! Noone is actually looking at what it is doing to the remaining sports at these schools!

I agree totally with the comments about the kids not caring as much as the parents on this topic but I will say this.

They don't fully understand all the politics involved......the only conclusion they make is...."we are not as good as the people we are playing against". They don't understand why, that's just all they see. Ironic, I think? Isn't that exactly opposite of what they have always been accused of being?

None of this is directed at the first poster and I apologize if it seemed so..........just venting!

Totally the info I am looking for. I am one of those "ride the fence" kind of people. I can see everyone's side and am trying to figure out where I stand on this subject. I say I am behind public 100% but honestly, if I could afford to send my child to a private school I would. I like a lot of things that Trinity Christian has to offer. So since I couldn't afford it, guess it became the "thorn in my side". /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I would be willing to bet there are a lot of parents out there just like me but aren't willing to admit it. Private or Public......there are pros and cons to them both and both can and DO produce superior atheletes. Most of all, they produce upstanding adults. Thank you for your comments.

Totally the info I am looking for. I am one of those "ride the fence" kind of people. I can see everyone's side and am trying to figure out where I stand on this subject. I say I am behind public 100% but honestly, if I could afford to send my child to a private school I would. I like a lot of things that Trinity Christian has to offer. So since I couldn't afford it, guess it became the "thorn in my side". /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I would be willing to bet there are a lot of parents out there just like me but aren't willing to admit it. Private or Public......there are pros and cons to them both and both can and DO produce superior atheletes. Most of all, they produce upstanding adults. Thank you for your comments.

You are exactly right. Another thing I've noticed while cruising this site is that most of the time it is hard to come across posts where it actually looks like both sides are listening to the other. Most are just "fire away" from the hip...picking a few words from your opponent and forming them into whatever response they couldn't wait to get out!

If more people....on both sides, actually listened to the other......I think there would be a lot less "feuding" going on.

Like I mentioned before......I actually see both sides.......HONESTLY! There is obviously an advantage to the private schools "open boundaries"....and yes, there should be some way of accounting for it! I don't think the multiplier is the way to handle it, yet I truly, honestly don't know what the solution is!

As for the recruitment everyone so "quickly" jumps all over........It's not going on...at least at our school. Although, If it was.......I'm sure I would not rank as to be brought in to the loop. Yet........there is not one single kid that stands out as a "wonder how he got here" kind of athelete! There are (mostly baseball) student atheletes that have obviously chosen to come there based on that being the best shot they have at winning....admittedly this was an offering that could not have been afforded just any public.....except the Magnets (which in this area was not as attractive from a baseball standpoint).

Looking back.....our decision on sending our kid to Private was made when we built in an area of Rural Madison county (when he was 2 yrs old). This was based on being zoned for Whitehall Elementary public. I'm not knocking the school.....may be a very good public school......just did not like where it was! Not sure how familiar you are with Jackson, yet that was somewhere I was not comfortable sitting in the carpool lane! Our big decision then became which one to send him to. With three good ones in the area...we ended up choosing USJ.......And I can HONESTLY tell you........I had NO idea of the atheletics at any of the three. Growing up here...attending JNS........ Old Hickory (now USJ) and JCS were not exactly Sports Powerhouse's so our decision was based absolutely NOT ON SPORTS! The mere fact that he turned out to be a pretty good basketball player.....after the fact......leads me to get involved as I have.

On a side note....one thing I don't think a lot of people realize is the little footnote added when the multiplier was placed in to effect. That being the fact that a private can't move up more than one class during one classification period. It is a bigger issue in football with 5 classes, yet most of the Privates complaing about being in 2A football don't realize that, by the numbers they really should have been in 3A.......AND WILL BE if the TSSAA rules on leaving things as they are for 09-12. You think it's bad (from a "being upset" standpoint).....wait and watch it then!

I still think the only solution is to split them. Travel costs will go out the roof yet what else are you going to do?

Have a good weekend

They wouldn't.

Not quite sure how you say that.....I'm assume yours wouldn't. Granted I'm just starting to get in to all of this......Fill me in.

By my count.....there are 70 or so private schools in the state (TSSAA website). Stick them all in D2......assume they split them in to two groups......and there is not another Private in the Jackson area (possibly JCS, depending on the latest numbers) outside of Memphis and Nashville!

Where do all the district and regional games come from.......or do we automatically win!

Like I said....I am new to this......but right now I'm not having to drive to Memphis and Nashville for district games and If I do.....that will cost me more! Hence the comment.

I'm making a lot of assumptions...using 2006 enrollment figures, 2 classifications, etc....So help me out if you can.

I made it clear that I was FOR a split as opposed to the way things are now......so I'm all ears!

Not quite sure how you say that.....I'm assume yours wouldn't. Granted I'm just starting to get in to all of this......Fill me in.

By my count.....there are 70 or so private schools in the state (TSSAA website). Stick them all in D2......assume they split them in to two groups......and there is not another Private in the Jackson area (possibly JCS, depending on the latest numbers) outside of Memphis and Nashville!

Where do all the district and regional games come from.......or do we automatically win!

Like I said....I am new to this......but right now I'm not having to drive to Memphis and Nashville for district games and If I do.....that will cost me more! Hence the comment.

I'm making a lot of assumptions...using 2006 enrollment figures, 2 classifications, etc....So help me out if you can.

I made it clear that I was FOR a split as opposed to the way things are now......so I'm all ears!

As the basketball districts are aligned now, USJ drives to Covington, Ripley, Fayette Ware, and Brownsville. It's not just a whole lot of difference to stay on the interstate to Memphis. One possible new district I saw if we were not split were USJ, JCS, Trinity, Jackson North Side, Jackson South Side, and Fayette Academy which I think I could live with even though North Side has 3 times the population of USJ. At this moment, I think I am for the split also.

Thinking from reading your post, you have a son playing jr. high ball at USJ this year. I am thinking this is the year to enjoy. I have come to the conclusion that Jr. High ball is the purest form of athletics left where you can play schools your own size. At a couple of the Jr. High games last year, there were more fans in the stands than there were at high school games, especially when we played Medina and the entire town came. Fayette Ware brought 18 fans to high school game last year.

I have decided that I am just going to enjoy next year as last year in Jr. High and worry about high school and multiplier after that.

I'd project a mostly Jackson area football and basketball region of Carroll Academy, Jackson Christian, Trinity Christian, Fayette Academy and Jackson University School.

Like I said.....based on my assumptions of two D2 divisions....using the the 2006 enrollment figures (all I have)......with the first 35 out of 70 in A and the next 35 in AA.....only JCS falls with USJ (and they are borderline being the first one on the second list using those numbers).

I would not have a problem in the world with the district you proposed.....I'm just not sure how things would be split up. Maybe they put all the current D2 schools in one group and the current D1 privates in another...who knows? That may be what you are using as a basis....not sure, tired of looking at it.

We can sit here and make all the assumptions in the world....yet until every team in the state goes 23-1 and makes it to Murfreesboro....Someone will be unhappy! Those are the times we live in!

As the basketball districts are aligned now, USJ drives to Covington, Ripley, Fayette Ware, and Brownsville. It's not just a whole lot of difference to stay on the interstate to Memphis. One possible new district I saw if we were not split were USJ, JCS, Trinity, Jackson North Side, Jackson South Side, and Fayette Academy which I think I could live with even though North Side has 3 times the population of USJ. At this moment, I think I am for the split also.

Thinking from reading your post, you have a son playing jr. high ball at USJ this year. I am thinking this is the year to enjoy. I have come to the conclusion that Jr. High ball is the purest form of athletics left where you can play schools your own size. At a couple of the Jr. High games last year, there were more fans in the stands than there were at high school games, especially when we played Medina and the entire town came. Fayette Ware brought 18 fans to high school game last year.

I have decided that I am just going to enjoy next year as last year in Jr. High and worry about high school and multiplier after that.

You are right......Although mine will be a freshman next year......and so here I am...when I should be working!

The alignment you mentioned above would be the fallout of that "rural/urban" split I think. Keep in mind this, though, Outside of always playing for 3rd place in the district.......look at where you would go if you ever got out! Football and Basketball trips to the state would be less of a possiblity than they are now.

Enjoy your last year of Middle School Basketball.....it will be a lot of fun as was ours last year!

Like I said.....based on my assumptions of two D2 divisions....using the the 2006 enrollment figures (all I have)......with the first 35 out of 70 in A and the next 35 in AA.....only JCS falls with USJ (and they are borderline being the first one on the second list using those numbers).

I would not have a problem in the world with the district you proposed.....I'm just not sure how things would be split up. Maybe they put all the current D2 schools in one group and the current D1 privates in another...who knows? That may be what you are using as a basis....not sure, tired of looking at it.

We can sit here and make all the assumptions in the world....yet until every team in the state goes 23-1 and makes it to Murfreesboro....Someone will be unhappy! Those are the times we live in!

They wouldn't have to split it equally. Years ago they had a set cut off number for A, AA and AAA. They could have a cutoff of a round number such as 500, everyone below it is Class A, everyone above it is AA. AA would basically be the current Division II, AA schools such as MBA, with a few more such as Lipscomb possibly added.

. . . On a side note....one thing I don't think a lot of people realize is the little footnote added when the multiplier was placed in to effect. That being the fact that a private can't move up more than one class during one classification period. It is a bigger issue in football with 5 classes, yet most of the Privates complaing about being in 2A football don't realize that, by the numbers they really should have been in 3A.......AND WILL BE if the TSSAA rules on leaving things as they are for 09-12. You think it's bad (from a "being upset" standpoint).....wait and watch it then! . . .

Actually, your statement about moving to 3A in football is incorrect. Goodpasture was the only other school that may have moved up to 3A in football in 2004. Their multiplied number was 666 (ironic number but I digress) which was right on the 2A/3A cut line. Gibson County at 647 was placed in 2A and Cheatham County and Frayser with 667 were placed in 3A. In 2006, CAK would have been moved to 3A if not for the "one class" clause. USJ in 2006 had a multiplied number (680) that would have places them in 3A football but only schools with an increase of 20% such as JCS and Liberty Tech were re-classified in 2006.