2008 State and National Champs

WhatUpYo

Brentwood was never tested the whole year, maybe at best 60 minutes out of the 100 plus minutes that they played Houston. If they had played a very gritty Father Ryan team, i am sure that the Irish would have handled the Bruins pretty easily and given them their first loss.

thats a lil ridiculous to say. that houston team gave Brentwood anything and everything it could handle for every single second of that game. Whether Father Ryan could have beat them...I highly doubt it seeing how CBHS dominated that game but CBHS coach isnt smart enough to use his deep deep bench to wear out FRHS early...either way Brentwood was tested every second of that game against Houston. hats off to both of the teams for an amazing and one of the best state finals in a while in AAA.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's the one, but i believe that Father Ryan one state that year. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Note: The last three years that Father Ryan one state, so did Brentwood. 1998, 2005, and 2008.

That's pretty weird. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I have been reading your posts and have a couple of questions. You do know that it is ???won??? and not ???one??? do you not? Did you consider starting a thread on Father Ryan??™s season rather than attacking Brentwood on this thread? Any season that ends with a victory at the state championship is something to be proud of especially if it is your school. If Ryan was ranked #1 in a national poll would you be saying they did not deserve it if they were undefeated and had not given up a goal through the district, region, sub state and state tournaments?

Be proud of your school and stop running down the accomplishments of another. I very seriously doubt that the coach at Father Ryan shares your view.

I believe that AAA was down this year due to the fact that you saw teams in the state tournament that you haven't seen in years, or it was their first appearance.

Nevertheless, Brentwood was never tested the whole year, maybe at best 60 minutes out of the 100 plus minutes that they played Houston. If they had played a very gritty Father Ryan team, i am sure that the Irish would have handled the Bruins pretty easily and given them their first loss.

Following up the previous statement, i believe that D2-AA had the best, and most competitive teams

throughout the state. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I wouldn't say AAA had a down, or off, year. Sure, some of the perennial powerhouses such as Bearden and Farragut didn't make it into the state tournament, but I don't necessarily think this is because AAA had an off year. I think the parody level has risen tremendously over the past few years. The talent is finally about equal with many of the schools, thus making it to where it's not the same teams that dominate every year. It makes things more interesting. I think this was a good year for AAA. As for Brentwood, stop dogging on them with these "If this had happened..." or "If Brentwood had played this team..." The fact of the matter is, Brentwood did not play those teams. Nobody can say that Father Ryan would've easily handed Brentwood their first loss. No one knows because these teams did not play each other. So quit making assumptions just because you're probably a Father Ryan fan/player/student. Give credit where credit is due. These guys played a heck of a season. 24-0 in any division is hard to come by. I don't necessarily agree with the whole national championship thing, but that's because I don't think it's valid to compare high school teams on a national level. But my hat's off to Brentwood. Those guys did a remarkable job this year.

I wouldn't say AAA had a down, or off, year. Sure, some of the perennial powerhouses such as Bearden and Farragut didn't make it into the state tournament, but I don't necessarily think this is because AAA had an off year. I think the parody level has risen tremendously over the past few years. The talent is finally about equal with many of the schools, thus making it to where it's not the same teams that dominate every year. It makes things more interesting. I think this was a good year for AAA. As for Brentwood, stop dogging on them with these "If this had happened..." or "If Brentwood had played this team..." The fact of the matter is, Brentwood did not play those teams. Nobody can say that Father Ryan would've easily handed Brentwood their first loss. No one knows because these teams did not play each other. So quit making assumptions just because you're probably a Father Ryan fan/player/student. Give credit where credit is due. These guys played a heck of a season. 24-0 in any division is hard to come by. I don't necessarily agree with the whole national championship thing, but that's because I don't think it's valid to compare high school teams on a national level. But my hat's off to Brentwood. Those guys did a remarkable job this year.

Now, in my previous posts, i believe the biggest hack on Brentwood would be that i said that they weren't tested. Furthermore, I have yet to downplay thier perfect season. Like you said finishing a season with a perfect record is remarkable. Probably harder to achieve in AAA than in D-2. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Flashback to 2005, the last time that both these teams won state, they played each other with Father Ryan winning the game. The fact that both these teams played each other in the regular season, only helped each with achieving a state championship game atmosphere during the season. The following season, Brentwood opted to play an easier schedule, and they did not find each other on their respective schedules. This hurt both teams as Brentwood lost in the quarterfinals, and Father Ryan in the semis. The same scenario happened in 2007, when again they didn't play each other. And again Father Ryan and Brentwood lost in the semis. After talking to some of Brentwood's players, I know that they realized that if the wanted another title they would have to schedule better teams in the regular season to prepare them for the end of May like they did in 2005. So this season, they approached Coach Purcell, and asked him to schedule Father Ryan. Now both scheduled to play a pre-season game and a regular season game this year, which were both unfortunately cancelled. I'm not saying that Brentwood didn't play anyone this season, not at all. I'm saying that they accomplished such a great feat because they were willing to play a tough schedule and have a blemish on their record, if it would hopefully in turn transfer to a State Championship at the end of May.

This is a huge reason why both teams got their 2nd title in 4 years.