Richard Siegel Park-State Tournament

MD4Sports

Having recently returned from attending the State tournament for the fourth year in a row, the stadium field and the side fields seemed to be in the worst shape of the three years it has been held there.

The stadium field in particular had multiple dead spots and it was completely dried out. The bermuda was in fair shape at best. Certainly they have an adequate irrigation system, but I was surprised the field was so parched.

The other fields had multiple sod patch jobs throughout also.

Four years ago at the Mike Rose complex, the side fields were in average shape, but the stadium field was pristine. It was disappointing to see the fields in these conditions for the state tournament.

I'd be interested to know what the players thought, especially those who have been to state the last few years.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc, NOTHING compared to that Mike Rose complex field the first year we played there (in 2003). It was 120 yards of heaven! But it, too, started to deteriorate as the years went by.

I would agree that the stadium field was extremely dry and average surface at best. The other fields, though, were far better than the Mike Rose fields from 2004 and 2005 (they were in bad shape from over use).

I would also say that even though none of the fields were the best surfaces to play on, I would LOVE to have even half of that complex in Knoxville. (How many fields are there?)

I don't know where the money comes from for the upkeep of those fields. They obviously are fairly conservative on club teams using them (they weren't worn down other than the boxes) just really dry and deceptively bumpy.

From those of us in the Memphis area where bermuda is king, please know that bermuda requires warm nights and hot days to grow. Probably the cooler weather this year affected the surface at Siegel.

As for the Mike Rose, unfortunately Big G is right and the side fields remain in rough shape from over use. However, the stadium is making a nice rebound.

From those of us in the Memphis area where bermuda is king, please know that bermuda requires warm nights and hot days to grow. Probably the cooler weather this year affected the surface at Siegel.

As for the Mike Rose, unfortunately Big G is right and the side fields remain in rough shape from over use. However, the stadium is making a nice rebound.

Maybe there is a water restriction in the area that limits how much they can irrigate. The stadium field just seemed really parched.

Anyway, is Spring Fling committed to Murfreesboro for next year or for multiple years? I read on here that it was coming back, but I haven't seen anything official.

The fields were better than Mike Rose, but they have become bumpy.

The Baylor vs. CB game involved a hole in one of the goal nets that caused quite an uproar on Baylor's tying goal that was disallowed. Why were the nets not inspected or replaced prior to the state championships?

Why were the nets not inspected or replaced prior to the state championships?

Given a multi-year drought in Tennessee, I thought the fields looked in reasonably good shape, although not as outstanding as I have heard they have been in earlier years. I really admire that facility and prefer it to Mike Rose, except for the magnificent Rose stadium facility. I am a big fan of having the State Tournament in the Middle region every year. Going to Memphis every year was extremely expensive and created serious fairness issues for teams in the East. Of course, East Tennessee simply doesn't have the facilities to host this kind of event properly, so taking turns isn't possible. I hope the girl's tournament moves from Chattanooga to Murfreesboro soon so there can be one central venue.

As for the net issue Baylor encountered, you're right, that should never happen in a state championship or any other match for that matter. You would have expected, even if the venue manager and the TSSAA didn't conduct adequate pre-event inspections of the facility, that the referees would have discovered and required a hole in the net to be repaired during their pre-match inspection.

Given a multi-year drought in Tennessee, I thought the fields looked in reasonably good shape, although not as outstanding as I have heard they have been in earlier years. I really admire that facility and prefer it to Mike Rose, except for the magnificent Rose stadium facility. I am a big fan of having the State Tournament in the Middle region every year. Going to Memphis every year was extremely expensive and created serious fairness issues for teams in the East. Of course, East Tennessee simply doesn't have the facilities to host this kind of event properly, so taking turns isn't possible. I hope the girl's tournament moves from Chattanooga to Murfreesboro soon so there can be one central venue.

As for the net issue Baylor encountered, you're right, that should never happen in a state championship or any other match for that matter. You would have expected, even if the venue manager and the TSSAA didn't conduct adequate pre-event inspections of the facility, that the referees would have discovered and required a hole in the net to be repaired during their pre-match inspection.

I did notice a few dry spots on the fields where in some the grass was completely dead. Going back to the Mike Rose stadium field though, that one is going to be in excellent condition because that's also where the University of Memphis plays their home soccer matches. They're of course going to try to keep that field in as great of shape as possible.

The Mike Rose Stadium pitch has a fantastic state-of-the-art irrigation and drainage system. I recall one year at Club States (2002 or 2003) when it rained 3 or 4 inches overnight and through the hours leading up to the finals. Just prior to warm ups we were standing in ankle deep water all over the stadium, yet by game time the standing water was gone and the pumping system went on to remove the surface water almost entirely by match time. It was incredible. Unfortunately, the side fields have to fend for themselves. They have been overused and maintenance has fallen off markedly from when the complex first opened. The last year I was there for high school states, I thought the regular fields were just shy of terrible.

Just saw here on Coacht that the Fling is coming to Murfreesboro for one more year before they accept bids again next year.

Chattanooga is going to bid. Doubt Memphis will since they lost money on their three year run. And I'm sure Murfreesboro will want it to stay there.

Do they have bleachers? I heard that you have to bring your own chairs or stand. That seems really cheap to me for a state tournament atmosphere.

They have bleachers, but they are the short ones, seat about 20 people. However, I have never been to a soccer complex where bleachers are at every field. The championship field has large bleachers. Everyone knows when you go to a soccer complex to being chairs, this is normal for anyone who plays soccer.

The fields were better than Mike Rose, but they have become bumpy.

The Baylor vs. CB game involved a hole in one of the goal nets that caused quite an uproar on Baylor's tying goal that was disallowed. Why were the nets not inspected or replaced prior to the state championships?

Just for clarification, there was never a tying goal to disallow. The ball hit the side of the net, and the net was loose. I do agree shame on the game officials for not doing a good pre-game.