(Hypothetical) TSSAA boycott

sportsfan93

Hypothetical Question.

Let's have some fun with this. How many teams would it take? With the budget crisis coming next year with rising costs of living, what will have to happen to get changes for the schools.

What if they all played a conference only schedule? Ouch. Imagine the lost revenue.

The major leaguers refuse play because they can't get paid millions of dollars. Can the teams do it to keep from losing money?

What about this? Let's form a team or school union to negotiate with TSSAA. STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE!

How long would it take to make the TSSAA negotiate? or go out of business!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetical Question.

Let's have some fun with this. How many teams would it take? With the budget crisis coming next year with rising costs of living, what will have to happen to get changes for the schools.

What if they all played a conference only schedule? Ouch. Imagine the lost revenue.

The major leaguers refuse play because they can't get paid millions of dollars. Can the teams do it to keep from losing money?

What about this? Let's form a team or school union to negotiate with TSSAA. STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE!

For the life of me, I don't know why the member schools keep puting up with the T$$AA. I think there should be a revolt and start a new organization.

Hypothetical Question.

The schools are the TSSAA. The schools' representatives set the classifications, playoffs, gate prices, parking...everything. If schools aren't being represented correctly then they need to elect a new Board of Control member.

Also, schools are going to have to work out ways to cut costs. Doubleheaders with district (and non-district) teams- your place this year, my place next year and count both games as that year's district games. Then you only have to travel to half of the schools instead of all of them. Schedule a baseball DH at 4PM and a softball DH at 5PM. You can then travel together. I know that is not ideal but some trips are 150 miles round trip. If you can eliminate 4 or 5 of those trips each season then you save a ton on gas.

While we're at it, lets get rid of the NCAA. What's wrong with these people. They're actually trying to make those poor athletes go to class and get and education and just think, if we get rid of the police departsments, we won't have to pay a fine for speeding or running a stop sign. Hypothetically, of course.

How would the TSSAA lose money by teams playing a conference only schedule? They get no money from the regular season.

Now, if you are saying just do a conference and have no postseason and no Spring Fling that's fine too. I remember seeing that Spring Fling doesn't bring as much money in to the TSSAA as you may think.

Now, the host high schools, MTSU and Murfreesboro would lose out.

For the life of me, I don't know why the member schools keep puting up with the T$$AA. I think there should be a revolt and start a new organization.

Just out of curiosity - and I know I'm probably opening a giant can of worms - but why should there be a revolt in your eyes?

Personally, I think the organization is run quite well. Not everyone can be happy all the time, but I think the BOC has done a good job of appeasing multiple constituent groups while keep the organization together as a whole.

Play independently. Try to join another organization. Try to start your own organization. The "other choice" is basically that you can do whatever you want to do.

Exactly!!! There are plenty of "other choices" out there... apparently, for most schools those choices aren't as appealing as playing under the umbrella of the TSSAA. There are several independent conferences and leagues across the state in which schools compete. Trouble is, championships and titles won in those independent leagues don't carry the same prestige as winning a TSSAA championship or title. It's ironic that Schools choose to be members of the TSSAA. Schools elect the members of the Board of Control. The Board of Control establish guidelines, implements and enforces the rules and regulations. So in effect you have a situation where the schools are governing themselves and they want to do nothing but complain. Therefore they are complaining about themselves. Nice!

Exactly!!! There are plenty of "other choices" out there... apparently, for most schools those choices aren't as appealing as playing under the umbrella of the TSSAA. There are several independent conferences and leagues across the state in which schools compete. Trouble is, championships and titles won in those independent leagues don't carry the same prestige as winning a TSSAA championship or title. It's ironic that Schools choose to be members of the TSSAA. Schools elect the members of the Board of Control. The Board of Control establish guidelines, implements and enforces the rules and regulations. So in effect you have a situation where the schools are governing themselves and they want to do nothing but complain. Therefore they are complaining about themselves. Nice!

All I see and hear is coaches and parents talk about TSSAA bein the ruin of high school sports. I was just curious as to the options. I was wrong in thinking that conference only would affect TSSAA. It would take teams not playing postseason, which won't happen.

Hey, why does everyody complain if nothing can or will ever be done about. Thanks to the board evidently.

I guess the only comment after reading this is that it would take a large number of schools refusing membership or it would be a mute point. One team hosting it's own state tournament. I guess we'd now who the winner would be. Anyway, I ask the same question here that was asked elsewhere. Has a team ever not played in the state tournament because of finances??

It is difficult to see the amount they take from teams in districts and regionals and substate and offer so little help or reward from going to the states. What is the payoff for teams that have a poor showing. High hotel and meal expense, travel expense and parents the same that they have to fundraise to repay. Yet TSSAA can take 18% or whatever it is in districts and 33% in regionals and substate to cover their expense. Why not let the teams split these amounts while TSSAA manages it's budget from the state tournament.