• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a strange game all round. Croatia dominated most of the first 90 minutes but really lacked a potent finish to their attack. Turkey looked the better for overtime and it was still 0-0 with 2 minutes to go and seemed very unlikely that either team could score. Croatia scored with just under 2 mins to go and it looked as if it was all wrapped up. Turkey then had a free kick awarded from midfield which the goalie took and had an extra man up top. Scored an incredible goal in the dying seconds and so it went to PK's where Croatia missed 3.

6/20

Croatia 1, Turkey 1 (Turkey advances 3-1 on penalty kicks)

This was a strange game all round. Croatia dominated most of the first 90 minutes but really lacked a potent finish to their attack. Turkey looked the better for overtime and it was still 0-0 with 2 minutes to go and seemed very unlikely that either team could score. Croatia scored with just under 2 mins to go and it looked as if it was all wrapped up. Turkey then had a free kick awarded from midfield which the goalie took and had an extra man up top. Scored an incredible goal in the dying seconds and so it went to PK's where Croatia missed 3.

These games take on such a life-or-death quality for the players and fans that it is hard not to feel sorry for the losers, in almost every match. That happens sometimes here in other sports but not on the scale that it does there in soccer.

If Russia loses to the Netherlands today I probably won't feel sorry for them. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Old habits die hard.

I really enjoyed the Russia vs Netherlands game today. I do admire the Russian team approach as they are very attack focused. Holland had some good moments but all in all, the result was a fair one. It also makes me feel a little better since England did not make it to the tournament as a result of Russia being in our qualifying group.

So far non of the first round winners have won. I think it is possible that Italy may beat Spain tomorrow to make it 4 in a row for the 2nd place teams.

I was really glad to see Spain win this one as I felt they were by far the better team. Italy play great defense but unfortunately like all Italian soccer games it becomes pretty boring. I was quite intrigued to watch Italy in their tactics. They always crowded out any Spanish attacks and left no room to make a play. The funny thing was the fact that when they came out on offense they always fed the ball into tight situations rather than look for the wide open spaces or switch the field.

One huge problem I have noticed with this tournament is the tendencany for players to go down writhing in agony whenever they get beat on a tackle. This forces the team that won the ball to kill their own momentum and kick it out of play while the injury is tended to. The player then quickly gets up and has undergone a miraculous healing. It may sound mean but we may need a ruling that unless the ref deems the injury to be really serious, play should go on.

My predictions for the semis

Germany 3 Turkey 0

Spain 2 Russia 1

Germany will then go and beat Spain in the final.