23. DL 5

24. MLK 5

25. Dyer 5

Martin Luther King 48

Macon County 62

David Lipscomb 66

Station Camp 68

Dyersburg 81

The scores will be much much larger than this. This is only the top 5 from each team so things are bound to change. Also, MLK 5, DL 5, and MC 5 all have run 18:33.xx on this course. I didn't actually bother to check the decimals so I just threw MLK last cause they didn't need it and flipped a coin between MC and DL. With MLK's (and everyone else's) weak 5th man, I'd be surprised if the winner scores under 100 points.

this is more like what i imagined it would be

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone seems to agree mlk is the favorite.

if it were up to the top 4, mlk would be a sure win. problem is they go from having a 16:40-17:20 spread with their top 4, to having a 16:40-18:40 spread. in previous years an 18:40 could be anywhere from 30-40, to 70-80 points.

their weak 5th man could be the difference between 1st place and being somewhere else in the top 3 or 4. pretty much all of the contenders are relying on their 5th man to win it for them.

Their 5th man on a normal day will score 55 points. Half their total.

I really don't see another team putting down lower than 110. Unless he has a better day for MLK.

USJC is an odd bi polar team that could still make some noise. Their fastest course of the year is Eye Opener (early Sept) yet they've run mostly faster times on harder courses.

E.g. Furman. Remember McKevely of Maryville? 15:51 at the Classic. Went 16:27 at Furman. We're talking like 35 seconds here. Making David Smith run a 16:47 on Steeple and some other guys be 17:15-17:40.

Hagan Stone isn't easy also. Neither is Maymont. Both are to me, comparable to Steeple, roughly.

Just sayin.

tn runner is not a complete summary of season bests it only includes some meets, you can't make solid predictions just from tn runner seeing as how their meet coverage is incomplete plus you can have a team run a faster team average and still loose to a team with a lower average because it relies more on place than average time plus i have yet to see dl run these times period much less all run good times as a team at one meet as said macon county and station have had pretty solid wins over dl 3 of 3 times they have raced them, though their times do look really good im not sure where they all come from and in order to be second in my book they need to run with more consistancy as a team, dyersburg does look really good, but if what conig says is true it could be due to the coarse, still they look strong, mlk is def. at the front of the pack right now no debating that, and never count macon out with their two hammers and their third man running strong as well,usjc is running decent times but so far showeing no consistency but you cant count out the defending state champs, and station has run with moderate consistency, and seems to be strong as a pack team.Though they have not had all seven of their top runners run good times at the same race yet. Need less to say it will be a close and very exciting race. Good luck everyone

??? down boy.

dl hasn't raced macon county once this year and has only raced station camp once.

???

The problem with having a weak 5th man is that it puts an incredible amount of pressure on the 1-4 guys. You can win with a 5th man at 18:30 as long as the other guys run like they should. However there is no room for error, and one guy having a below average day could really screw the teams chances. This, I believe is another weakness for MLK. Because more than likely they do not have a front runner that will be in the top 5, they really need their 1-4 guys to run close and run fast. MC and DL atleast have front runners. I think DL is dangerous because if their 2 and 3rd guys have an above average day, they could be near the MLK pack. With Musick up front, it could make things very interesting. With MC, clearly things could get interesting with their top two guys more than likely being in the top 5. I know nothing about Station Camp or Dyesburg. I do believe that USJC will be in the top 3

Cause they like staying away from their competition. Its what I would do.

AND they learned from the best. That is, Milligan College.

Hagan Stone isn't easy also. Neither is Maymont. Both are to me, comparable to Steeple, roughly.

Hagan Stone is probably a bit hillier than Steeple. It was also very muddy this year. As in, lose your shoes muddy.

Hagan Stone is probably a bit hillier than Steeple. It was also very muddy this year. As in, lose your shoes muddy.

Steeple is more mentally challenging than physically in my opinion. And the physical challenges that present itself are very subtle, but if you don't recognize them they can kill you. Thus why Nashville teams that continually run it during the year for practice have an advantage.

I agree that Steeple is a far tougher course mentally than physically. The thing that appeals to me is this: it's the state meet, and every marginal team that wants to go for it is going to get out like morons. While the second mile is not physically challenging, it's a mental beast, yet that's where the meet is decided every single year--even last year, when we had one of the better boys teams around. If you've gone out with the morons but aren't named Keveren or O'Donnell or Sonnenfeldt, you're toast in the second mile.

You didn't have one of the better teams around, you had a top 20 team in the nation.

While I agree that mile one affects mile two - which decides the race, I think more of the race is decided in the last 3/4 of a mile. It's the sandtrap, lonely times, and a nice uphill that isn't actually that steep.

??? down boy.

dl hasn't raced macon county once this year and has only raced station camp once.

???

Let me rephrase yes that is correct that macon has not run in the same division of the same race but they have competed at the same races and their times leave no doubt that had they been in the same division as dl that day they would have won by a sizeable amount. And they have raced station twice and the third is the same case as mc

ps i think eagelville will win state /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Let me rephrase yes that is correct that macon has not run in the same division of the same race but they have competed at the same races and their times leave no doubt that had they been in the same division as dl that day they would have won by a sizeable amount. And they have raced station twice and the third is the same case as mc

ps i think eagelville will win state /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

... this is getting annoying.

raced Station camp once --TN CLASSIC

raced (if you call it that) Macon County once ---- TN CLASSIC

... THAT"S IT. name your races that you're counting