A/AA Cross Country

flatline17

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but if you stood where I always stand (the place you speak of) you'd see that very few positions change after that point. Sure, there are some changes in that tough part of the course, but it seems as if it's largely already decided.

(maybe that's just where I've lost significant places the past 3 years...)

I'm almost always watching the team race, which is almost always decided by that point.

On the other hand, I was there when Matt Sonnenfeldt suddenly ripped the field a new one by moving from 6th to 2nd right where you're talking about. Maybe that's a more strategic place for the individual, whereas the team race happens in the second mile.

Yeah, but if you stood where I always stand (the place you speak of) you'd see that very few positions change after that point. Sure, there are some changes in that tough part of the course, but it seems as if it's largely already decided.

That's because people either haul it down that hill, and then let themselves lag once it flattens out, or they cruise down the hill and push on the flat. You gotta go hard-hard-hard the whole way in that second mile. From hauling A down that hill to hauling A on the lonely back flat. Then hold on for dear life in the third mile, but don't worry--everyone else is doing the same thing.

I prefer hauling A for all 5000 meters. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

well yea that is the goal. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Too bad its a terribal strategY. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

in saying this I would still like to say that i rank 1. MLK and 2. station camp (above DL). i just wish people would present accurate statements.

I could be mistaken but didnt dl run the af bridges meet at steeple chase as well? That was one of the races i was talking about.

That's because people either haul it down that hill, and then let themselves lag once it flattens out, or they cruise down the hill and push on the flat. You gotta go hard-hard-hard the whole way in that second mile. From hauling A down that hill to hauling A on the lonely back flat. Then hold on for dear life in the third mile, but don't worry--everyone else is doing the same thing.

I tottally agree that its not your last mile or your first mile time that determines you overall time as much as it is that dreaded second mile. We just recently had a team meeting about not being afraid to bust the second mile and hold on for the last, most likely if you bust the second you will still have enough to hold on for the last. The second mile is key to running a PB.

I could be mistaken but didnt dl run the af bridges meet at steeple chase as well? That was one of the races i was talking about.

no they didn't.

I tottally agree that its not your last mile or your first mile time that determines you overall time as much as it is that dreaded second mile. We just recently had a team meeting about not being afraid to bust the second mile and hold on for the last, most likely if you bust the second you will still have enough to hold on for the last. The second mile is key to running a PB.

If you want to run a PR, find another course.

But seriously, he makes a good point.

no they didn't.

I think a lot of people stink on the second mile because they go out to fast first mile, which kills you for the second mile because you end up trying to recover on the easiest mile of the course. Then people hit the third mile, and they are out of it mentally. My solution to a good steeple race is run the first mile intelligently

no they didn't.

oh ok then maybe i was mistaken. Could of sworn they were there. And I have actually seen many people run pb's on the steeple, its no where near impossibal, in fact some people even prefer it (as ridiculous as that sounds) /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I think a lot of people stink on the second mile because they go out to fast first mile, which kills you for the second mile because you end up trying to recover on the easiest mile of the course. Then people hit the third mile, and they are out of it mentally. My solution to a good steeple race is run the first mile intelligently

I agree tottally. It seems to be a really bad habit for the front pack to really push the tempo of the first mile on the steeplechase, then slack the second mile.For example the tn. classic where top 5 were under 4:55 first mile and top ten to twelve all broke 5:00 the first mile. Really only one person was able to even slightly maintain this pace, even the great mahaney died quite abit from that first mile.Haveing said this ,the key is not your first mile time like i've said but your second. I have just recently discovered this personaly /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> and it seems to be working quite nicely. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

the second mile at steeplechase is hardly dreaded. its not like its downhill or anything..

but its a great time to pass the people that went out hard. i think in the second mile i passed 10 of the 30 people that were ahead of me last year at state.

did i mention i've pr'ed by 18, 15, and 21 seconds the last 3 times i've run percy warner? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />