A/AA Cross Country

flatline17

Two meets in Chattanooga this year decided to go head-to-head with the Classic.

Chattanooga is home to a bunch of baboons.

Chattown will be the place to be on the 20th. Either you're too unimportant to get into coach woods meet or ur afraid of a little hill. Me thinks u r the baboon.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good call nick. since when can mlk pull together a team average of 17:07?? their results from chickasaw looked pretty good.

Thats what im wondering, was that coarse fast? It seems everyone masacered their pr's? mahaney went from like what a 16:50 the previous week to a 15:56!!!!!! and snyder ran a 16:38!!!. Thats one massive pr. I'm not accastomed to the normal times of mlk but i havent heard them running anything close to a 17:07 team average so far thats sick! Someone please tell me that coarse was short! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Chattown will be the place to be on the 20th. Either you're too unimportant to get into coach woods meet or ur afraid of a little hill. Me thinks u r the baboon.

"The Hill" A modified two-loop course, the "Dam 5k," as it is affectionately called by local runners (due to a certain noun uttered by countless runners as they race up any of the several hills scattered throughout the course) is difficult from the beginning. In fact, it throws the first of it's fabled hills at runners only two-hundred meters into the race, even as athletes are still jostling for position in the field. The hill conveniently acts to significantly string out the field, quickly exposing the pretenders and pulling the true contenders to the front--in case they weren't already there. After looping around a large meadow, which would qualify as the second hill of the course due to it's slight but long incline, the field will race down a short but steep hill to exit the meadow and run along the waterfront for a couple hundred meters before coming to the first mile marker. With the first mile marker comes the most endearing part of this Dam course, The Hill. The Hill haunts runners for months after every Dam 5k. It doesn't look so bad, but once people race up that baby, they have been known to wake up screaming several times a week. Doctors have been unable to discover a cause, but Chattanooga's high school harriers know why: The Hill changes people.

Steven Fassino "The Hill should not be underestimated. It can completely change the outcome of a race," Stephen Fassino told me. Fassino graduated from Red Bank High School in May and is attending and running for the University of Tennessee this fall. "I remember at Regionals last year that was a huge factor in the loss to a great competitor, Matt Baltimore. I'm not sure that it's about attacking it but rather surviving it, twice. Prepare all you can and make a mental note that it's going to hurt no matter how fast you go."

The implication is that, no matter how slow--not only fast, but slow too--you run up The Hill, you're going to walk off the course a new man. Many enter the course a boy, but you don't see very many boys finish the race. It's because they've all turned into men.

The Hill is only the beginning of the process of turning boys into men. After cresting that beast, there's still another small hill to run up and down and back up again before starting the loop over again and running in that original meadow. And eventually, The Hill comes back again. Except the second time, that small hill doesn't seem so small anymore.

http://tn.milesplit.us/articles/14871

Even the almighty Steve Fassino of UT and Red Bank fame is afraid of The Dam Hill. Is he, too, a baboon?

Thats what im wondering, was that coarse fast? It seems everyone masacered their pr's? mahaney went from like what a 16:50 the previous week to a 15:56!!!!!! and snyder ran a 16:38!!!. Thats one massive pr. I'm not accastomed to the normal times of mlk but i havent heard them running anything close to a 17:07 team average so far thats sick! Someone please tell me that coarse was short! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Voyles told me that the course was at least a minute fast

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Chickasaw Trails is held at the lovely Jesse Owens Classic racecourse. And it is completely legit. It's where Johnson went 16:29 last year, I went 16:37 my sophomore year.

Great place for a PR. I'm glad I'm going back at the beginning of October. It's very very fast and on the right morning where the sun stays away, the course gives you a tailwind. In all directions.

Voyles told me that the course was at least a minute fast

to say the course is a minute fast would be an overstatement. . it's a fast course but not a minute fast.

give credit to the runners that ran their time. fast times were ran because it was actually good weather and the course is fun.

congrats to mlk and mc for running impressively

Dual meet format between the two according to chickasaw performances:

MLK - 24

MC - 31

Chickasaw Trails is held at the lovely Jesse Owens Classic racecourse. And it is completely legit. It's where Johnson went 16:29 last year, I went 16:37 my sophomore year.

Great place for a PR. I'm glad I'm going back at the beginning of October. It's very very fast and on the right morning where the sun stays away, the course gives you a tailwind. In all directions.

yeah its a legit 5k, although, i personally think that what the course lacks in hills it makes up for with its retarded switchbacks. However, is it a fast course, yes. Is it faster than steeple chase, yes. Is it a minute fast?? no. On a good day weather wise i can see a time that is 30 to 35 seconds faster than a persons steeple chase pr. I pr'd by 18 seconds on the course when heat index was well over 100. So i can see these times being legit

Dear Mark Cole,

If you are alive I have 3 questions for you.

1) Did you run John Parrish Cross Country Festival last year?

2) Tell me about the course--- is it fast?

3) Please oh please tell me you are running it this year too?!?!?!?!?

1)As seen above

2)The course is fast...but a tad on the confusing side if you haven't ran it before its pretty much a double loop so after the first lap you won't have any trouble

3) It really depends on what my coach wants me to do. I was supposed to do twilight but the guy who handles registration didn't realize how huge of a meet it was and waited too late. Originally it wasn't on the schedule but now there may be room for it so we'll see.

If you are going bro I'll try to make it a point to be there so we can race, chill, pick up chicks ...the usual meet thing