Region 3

Coniglio

Looks like you'll be the lone ranger in a/aa until state, conigs, do you see anybody coming up to stay on your shoulder through 3 miles?

Our region is bipolar. It is either extremely talented and deep (Jordan Longstreth was a state champ and CCS used to be ALWAYS top 4 or 5) or it can have a huge dry spell with only a couple real quick guys (Harper was one of them).

I think Dylan Harper is going to be quality for his junior and senior years. He barely qualified for sectionals with a 5:09 and then turns around and rocks a 4:49 at the sectional meet. That kid is going to be special one day. I'm predicting an all state finish. Why? Cause I can.

We've got a kid that has taken all my middle school times to shame. Crushed me in XC (time and overall place- I was 10th at TVAC my year and he was 2nd) and though I never ran track, he still beat my mile PR by 25 seconds.

That being said I hope he can fly and be a force in the coming years.

CSAS lost either all 7 or 6 of 7 so we'll see how they respond. Notre Dame is another possible. There are too many variables (as with all these teams going into the summer) to tell about CCS right now. I'm hoping someone can step out of the woodwork and provide a spark to get us going some more.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dylan Harper is going to be quality for his junior and senior years. He barely qualified for sectionals with a 5:09 and then turns around and rocks a 4:49 at the sectional meet. That kid is going to be special one day. I'm predicting an all state finish. Why? Cause I can

I see he did the same thing in cross last year, nowhere to be found until Optimist & Region. Either he knows how to peak well or he runs half heartedly during the season. Either way I don't think he has the competitive /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> drive that Bryson has so, for as him being special one day... it's in there but will he let it out?

And speaking of special one day, what do you think of that Mullin from ND? Now there's someone who could be on the national radar very soon.

I'm thinking the guy just needs some competition. When he gets mixed up in a race he lets himself go. I think he'll discover himself in his last 2 years. As good as Bryson? Maybe, maybe not, who knows.

As for Mullin, when you can open and close a 3200 both in 75, that's some pretty sick talent. It will be interesting to see what training takes place during the summer and on into the fall. I think she is someone that should make the trip to Charlotte, NC this november and run at Footlocker South. The early quick pace will only favor her style and the quick track that leads into a flat finish is probably the best thing for her kick. I think she could be Chattanooga's first national qualifier since Jamey Gifford of Baylor.

(Now remember Baylor's Bill Matthews might go to Footlocker, depending on what Baylor's team chances for NXN are)

Baylor's chances for NXN are very, very good, IMHO. I think that they will go into the season ranked 1st in the SE (with Hoover at #2) and stand an excellent chance of being Tennessee's second boys' qualifier for NTN/NXN. I am impressed with Matthews as a team runner--he and McGregor could really lead a pair of powerful SE teams next year.

Baylor's chances for NXN are very, very good, IMHO. I think that they will go into the season ranked 1st in the SE (with Hoover at #2) and stand an excellent chance of being Tennessee's second boys' qualifier for NTN/NXN. I am impressed with Matthews as a team runner--he and McGregor could really lead a pair of powerful SE teams next year.

Doesn't Baylor loose 2 of their top 5, state champ Waldo being one of them? That's a lot of reloading to ask for, although that Lord kid looks like he has some awesome potential...hmmmmmm. What will mr biology cook up in the lab I wonder? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

I believe they have Matthews, Lord, Meadows, Townsend, and Dix back. Van also alluded to a couple of jv 3200 runners in the 10:15 range. That's better than we had coming back last year. I don't currently see anyone who can play with that other than Hoover.

As I see it, the key for them--as well as for everyone who wants to make NXN--is not to over-race, not to worry about September and October, and to stay reasonably fresh for November. That's a bigger challenge than you might think!

Yeah, they will be very good--probably a little better on the front than we were, definitely good at 2-4. The big question at that level is where your 5-7 guys are, and theirs seem good.

I think that OR, SH, and St. Agnes, at a minimum, will challenge on the girls' side. TN xc teams have really upped the ante.

Was just about to post that. Opens up a big wide door for region 3 now in terms of who else might sneak in.

Ya, it stinks for those boys, I think they should just show up & run anyway. TSSAA should change the rule on individuals making it to state. I think other states let the 1st 10 individuals NOT on a qualifiying team go to the state championships.