Merit/Academic scholarship-athletic limitation

If the amount of aid given is any higher than the amount SSS indicates as the "need-based" amount, then the kid is ineligible even in Division II.

This is my understanding of the rule. Was curious how long this has been the rule, whether it has ever been challenged and whether it is likely to change. Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my understanding of the rule. Was curious how long this has been the rule, whether it has ever been challenged and whether it is likely to change. Thanks

When DII was created, the rule was put in place, and may have been before the split, I don't know, but what the really big private schools do is to give a kid way more then he needs in the freshman year, thus good to go after setting out freshman year.

When DII was created, the rule was put in place, and may have been before the split, I don't know, but what the really big private schools do is to give a kid way more then he needs in the freshman year, thus good to go after setting out freshman year.

Do you have an example of that? I've never heard of that happening.

There had to be rules defining financial aid prior to the creation of D2. Prior to D2, there were limits to the number of athletes receiving financial aid who could participate in a given sport.

Yes the limit was 14 for the whole school in all sports, with certain numbers per sport, I think like football was limited to 3, One big private had like 93 when they got put out of one the state sport tournaments