It seems as if the Cubbies are trying to run away with everything in the NL Central. The Cardinals, I believe will run right with them over the next couple of months just to keep things interesting. For the rest of the division, it's for bragging rights. "The Brew Crew" might try and make a run but I highly doubt it. My Cincinatti Reds got hot there for a little bit, unfortunately after that hot streak they were still 2 games under .500 /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Anyways, what's everyone's predictions on the NL Central? Will the Cubbies make the playoffs and bring up the return of the billygoat or will Pujols and Ankiel keep St. Louis fighting till the end?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems as if the Cubbies are trying to run away with everything in the NL Central. The Cardinals, I believe will run right with them over the next couple of months just to keep things interesting. For the rest of the division, it's for bragging rights. "The Brew Crew" might try and make a run but I highly doubt it. My Cincinatti Reds got hot there for a little bit, unfortunately after that hot streak they were still 2 games under .500 /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Anyways, what's everyone's predictions on the NL Central? Will the Cubbies make the playoffs and bring up the return of the billygoat or will Pujols and Ankiel keep St. Louis fighting till the end?

Still pulling for the Reds.

I think the Astros could be in the hunt until the end. They have a lineup that could rival alot of the American league teams. Berkman, Lee, Tejada, and Pence are all very good. I think Berkman has been one of the top 10 players in baseball the last few years but never gets the recognition for whatever reason.

I am never sold on the Cubs like alot of others and the reason is this. They play to many day games at home and I really beleive the dog days of summe (July and August) takes a toll on them. All those day games when everybody else is playing under the lights is tough in my opinion. I had rather play in 75+ and 80+ weather than the 90's. Baseball is like a war of attrition with the 162 games schedule. The cubs should play more night games at home but it's tradition to play day games in Chicago. That will never change even if it hurts the team.

I say it comes down to the Cardinals and Astros, just like it has the last few years.

Cubs have too much talent and finally have a good manager that won't have his starters throw up 130 pitch count nights. (Mark Prior should sue Dusty Baker for gross negligence for what he did to him.) They should win the division by 5-8 games when all is said and done.

The Cards, Brewers, and Astros and going to join the entire NL East other than the Nationals for the wild card battle. I just don't see anyone from the West joining the fight.

Still four big question marks for the Cardinals -

1. Carpenter

2. Mulder

3. Clement

4. When will they deal Reyes, Rasums (rumored as possible), or other prospects and what will they get in return?

If two of the three pitchers can come back and contribute, especially Carp, the Cards are in this and will win the Wild Card. Luckily, the others are doing well and keeping them in this so they organization can slowly rehab these guys.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about this season. Not completely convinced the Cards won't be standing in the Cubbies way to break the curse around mid-October.

Cubs have too much talent and finally have a good manager that won't have his starters throw up 130 pitch count nights. (Mark Prior should sue Dusty Baker for gross negligence for what he did to him.) They should win the division by 5-8 games when all is said and done.

The Cards, Brewers, and Astros and going to join the entire NL East other than the Nationals for the wild card battle. I just don't see anyone from the West joining the fight.

Still four big question marks for the Cardinals -

1. Carpenter

2. Mulder

3. Clement

4. When will they deal Reyes, Rasums (rumored as possible), or other prospects and what will they get in return?

If two of the three pitchers can come back and contribute, especially Carp, the Cards are in this and will win the Wild Card. Luckily, the others are doing well and keeping them in this so they organization can slowly rehab these guys.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about this season. Not completely convinced the Cards won't be standing in the Cubbies way to break the curse around mid-October.

WOW.....Rasmus, I though he was supposed to be one of the top prospects in all of baseball. The Cardinals haven't had anybody of notice (star quality)from the farm system since Pujols, other than all those catchers (who all seem to be great defensively but don't hit that much) and Ankiel (as a pitcher). I can see Reyes being traded...if they are lucky enough to find a taker.

I think Wainwright can anchor the staff without a doubt (but now he is on the 15 day DL with a strained finger). If Carpenter returns to form and Mulder can at the least be at .500 I think the Cardinals could be a dangerous team, providing Isringhausen bounces back.

One of these days the Cubs are going to prove me wrong. But I see them somewhat slumping after the all-star break. I know they have lots of talent but I am convinced all those day games take a toll as the season progresses.

The Cardinals have a few question marks just like everybody else. I think they could surpass the Cubs after the break if everything breaks there way.

The Astro"s (historically) seem to turn it up a notch as well after the break.

muffin, are you a Reds fan too!?!?! That makes two of us in Tennessee! lol

Better make that "three" of us! The way we're playing right now, maybe we should form a "support group"??? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Cardinals have to hang close till they get Albert and Wainwright back. Team is hard to figure, they just keep taking 2 out of 3 from everyone no matter who goes down--can they continue to hang in there? If they stay close and have a healthy Wainwright and Carpenter to anchor the staff down the stretch (and Albert comes back soon healthy), they should have enough pitching to make a solid run.

Cubs are the Cubs--they have most talent and should win, but they are going to have to prove it before most will believe.

Cardinals have to hang close till they get Albert and Wainwright back. Team is hard to figure, they just keep taking 2 out of 3 from everyone no matter who goes down--can they continue to hang in there? If they stay close and have a healthy Wainwright and Carpenter to anchor the staff down the stretch (and Albert comes back soon healthy), they should have enough pitching to make a solid run.

Cubs are the Cubs--they have most talent and should win, but they are going to have to prove it before most will believe.

I agree....I'm not sold on the Cubs either. I thought Houston might make a run after the allstar break, but I am having doubts about that now. Houston has the sticks but lacks pitching. I still wouldn't be suprised if the get hot but it might end up being to late. Wonder if something is wrong with Oswalt...he has dominate stuff and has been one iof the top 5 to 10 pitchers in all of baseball over the last few years but is really struggling for some reason.

I think Albert is the best player in baseball and quite possibly the best player to come around in the last 15 years. What do you think?

I am personally hoping for a Cubs/Cards NLCS.

If they are going to make it, I want to be in their way. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />