DEAD PERIOD

tyme

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have another couple of questions;

1. With fuel cost at an alltime high, how can this coach also use a county school bus and county gas to transport his "legion" team?

2. How can he also use the electricty on the HS baseball field (lights, scoreboard, etc) to also benefit his "legion" team?

Sounds like someone has an issue with the coach. I would have to look up the rules on the dead period but it sounds like he is trying to find a loophole but that would be considered contact with his kids.

Nope, i dont have an issue with coach. I dont even have kids that go to school. But the same county wants to raise the wheel tax to cover school expenses. (And that does affect me.) I dont mind paying extra county money for education but not to fund sports team (including basketball, softball, etc) in the summer months.

"Legion" ball isn't any thing new. It's been around for decades and doesn't have anything to do with the high school other than the local legion team 9 times out of 10 consists of kids from the local high school. That's not changed in the last few decades either. Almost all of the summer league teams that play this summer don't have to abide by dead period rules because they aren't playing school ball.

I don't know about using the high school facilities, bus or coach, but everything else about playing Legion ball during the dead period is legit. If it were me, I'd pay for the lights, mileage on the bus and let a non high school coach do the coaching during the dead period.

I just read in my local paper the the Coach of our High School has 9 baseball games scheduled during the "dead period". He is calling it "legion ball", but he has 13 of the HS players on this team. Is this leagal?

Do the new TSSAA rules about Summer travel teams not having more than 5 or 6 players from any one HS not apply here?