DEAD PERIOD

tyme

You dont think this is a vacation?...you should be down here and see our boys...Keep in mind these boys play baseball because they WANT to play baseball it is a summer team but as a high school we stay together and play during the summer against some of these all star teams a good season for us in summer ball is .500 the objective is to play good throw strikes and play good defense while a lot of teams have better hitters and better pitchers top - bottom are main objective is to get better for spring..you do not have time in spring to find out who is gonna be able to handle varsity maybe in a spot or 2 but overall 2 weeks of practice it is also a time for our coaches to see more players in more situations to help them be better ball players and to also get in front of more scouts for those that may help

AS FAR AS THE BET ON OBSERVING US PLAYING YOU NAME THE AMOUNT AND I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE YOUR MONEY...our game is at 2 tomorrow and we have 2 dads that are coaching it and our head coach is leaving at 9 or 10 in the morning and our assitants are leaving around 1

as far as taking time of...the have the last 2 weeks of july the entire month of august and some of september and now with the 50/50 rule fall ball has change a LOT my son WHO WANTS TO PLAY is limited on who he plays with last year we had to drive to shelby park and pay more than twice the amount of money for him to play

For me vacation means taking a break from what you normally do. As a business owner, I WANT my buiness to do well and LOVE making it happen. But when I go on vacation, I don't do the norm. I get away from it.

You are not a summer team; you are a high school team playing summer ball.

Dead Period includes the words "NO CONTACT WITH PLAYERS". It sounds as if your coaches are there with you. Are they not having any "CONTACT" with players while there? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me vacation means taking a break from what you normally do. As a business owner, I WANT my buiness to do well and LOVE making it happen. But when I go on vacation, I don't do the norm. I get away from it.

You are not a summer team; you are a high school team playing summer ball.

Dead Period includes the words "NO CONTACT WITH PLAYERS". It sounds as if your coaches are there with you. Are they not having any "CONTACT" with players while there? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

our game actualy got cancelled today so there was no game for anyone to coach..however like i stated in MY PREVIOUS POST if you had read it we had parents coaching those games and the coaches headed home this morning AND THEY HAD NO CONTACT

I dont think u can compare playing a baseball game and running around on the beach for 5 days to work or running a business...the boys LOVE playing baseball they had 1 game on friday and 2 on saturday we was there on wed and got home today while many other players are not coming home til tues or wed so it is a vacation

WE ARE A SUMMER TEAM that all players go to the high school we pay summer fees and we ARE in a summer league

our game actualy got cancelled today so there was no game for anyone to coach..however like i stated in MY PREVIOUS POST if you had read it we had parents coaching those games and the coaches headed home this morning AND THEY HAD NO CONTACT

I dont think u can compare playing a baseball game and running around on the beach for 5 days to work or running a business...the boys LOVE playing baseball they had 1 game on friday and 2 on saturday we was there on wed and got home today while many other players are not coming home til tues or wed so it is a vacation

WE ARE A SUMMER TEAM that all players go to the high school we pay summer fees and we ARE in a summer league

Glad you got home safe rdm.

I'm just speaking from experience.

We played all those summer games when mine was in high school and now that he is a man and no longer a boy in high school, we actually talk alot.

More man to man I guess you could say.

He LOVED BASEBALL as well, but now admits that he wished we had done more just "family" stuff on vacations as a "family" not as a "team".

Sometimes (just maybe) the parents "think" the boys love playing on vacation; but it might be just as much that the parents love to watch them play. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I know now, that I might have been guilty of that.

Glad you got home safe rdm.

I'm just speaking from experience.

We played all those summer games when mine was in high school and now that he is a man and no longer a boy in high school, we actually talk alot.

More man to man I guess you could say.

He LOVED BASEBALL as well, but now admits that he wished we had done more just "family" stuff on vacations as a "family" not as a "team".

Sometimes (just maybe) the parents "think" the boys love playing on vacation; but it might be just as much that the parents love to watch them play. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I know now, that I might have been guilty of that.

now i will give you that point....however we do take at least one vacation without ball sometimes 2 in fact we are leaving saturday for a week in gatlinburg and he is leaving in july for a mission trip to honduras for a week...so we do get away as a family and he gets the week with church...

Post 19 has some high school players on it. They have a 16U team that's all high school players.

I don't see how you can make a distinction between travel teams that are mostly kids from the same high school and those that are comprised of kids from different high schools. Then there's the facilities rule. If the ballfield is on campus and owned by the school system they can't play on it, but if they play on a field that's in a public park or privately owned by someone outside of the school system they're ok? How does this make sense?

FYI: Out of TSSAA handbook-

TSSAA SPORTS CALENDAR

DEFINITIONS

Practice ??“ Coach and player(s) together with instruction, teaching, coaching, etc.

Open Facilities ??“ Schools may use their facilities for students in their building prior to or at the conclusion of the school day. Coaches may serve in a supervisory capacity only. There is no instruction, no teaching, no coaching, etc. Coaches may not participate or play in any manner. It is a free play type atmosphere.

Weight Training / Conditioning ??“ Must be a generic type program that would be beneficial to all students and not sport specific. Exception: In baseball and girls softball, players may throw to condition arms.

Dead Period ??“ No coaching, observing, or contact between coach and players in sport involved. There is no practice, no open facilities, and no weight training / conditioning.

What does this say really? Coaches=High School Coaches. If Joe Blow has a summer team, gets sponsors, equipment and baseballs on his own or charges a player fee, pays his own umpires and makes arrangements as a third party to use a field somewhere, how does TSSAA have anything to do with that? If the high school is willing to let Joe use their field during the summer when school is not in session, how can they tell them they can't use the field during the dead period just because the high school team can't have a practice, game or workout during that time?

I think the answer is in the Dead Period definition. What's a high school coach to 'observe' if the players can't play, practice or work out?

Post 19 has some high school players on it. They have a 16U team that's all high school players.

I don't see how you can make a distinction between travel teams that are mostly kids from the same high school and those that are comprised of kids from different high schools. Then there's the facilities rule. If the ballfield is on campus and owned by the school system they can't play on it, but if they play on a field that's in a public park or privately owned by someone outside of the school system they're ok? How does this make sense?

Don't think anybody said the rule made sense, but it is what it is.

I would guess Post 19 players are all high school players? If they can't make a high school, probably couldn't play Post ball either. Just guessing though.

What does this say really? Coaches=High School Coaches. If Joe Blow has a summer team, gets sponsors, equipment and baseballs on his own or charges a player fee, pays his own umpires and makes arrangements as a third party to use a field somewhere, how does TSSAA have anything to do with that? If the high school is willing to let Joe use their field during the summer when school is not in session, how can they tell them they can't use the field during the dead period just because the high school team can't have a practice, game or workout during that time?

I think the answer is in the Dead Period definition. What's a high school coach to 'observe' if the players can't play, practice or work out?

My interpretation, and more importantly, that of the TSSAA; is that if the field is a school field, then it is part of the facility and it is to be closed for any and all TSSAA high school players.

If Joe Blow's team has no/0/notta a player on his team that plays TSSAA baseball then I guess he could use it?

Here's the word from TSSAA. A summer team coach called them and spoke to Ronnie Carter. He is getting this in writing to turn into the local high school administration. I will give you the exact verbage when I recieve it from this coach.

A 'facility' is basically a building such as the weight room or the gymnasium. Fields may be used by summer teams during the dead period. The high school coaches shall not be coaching the summer team during this 2 week dead period. There's no limit on players from the local high school that might play on the summer team during the dead period. The dead period provides high school players a dead period from their high school sports and high school coachs each summer. Other summer league teams are not affected by this dead period in any shape, form or fashion. Baseball, football and soccer fields that are available to third party teams that might have high school athletes will still be available to those teams during the dead period.

The interpretation is confusing because everyone is trying to apply TSSAA rules to non high school teams. TSSAA rules are for high school teams and high school coaches, period.

Don't think anybody said the rule made sense, but it is what it is.

I would guess Post 19 players are all high school players? If they can't make a high school, probably couldn't play Post ball either. Just guessing though.

Post 19's 16U team is most likely all high school players.

The 19U team consists mostly of graduated seniors and college players. There might be a sprinkling of kids that are still playing high school ball on a Post 19's 19U team. Certainly TSSAA can't restrict the graduated high school players in any fashion.

Here's the word from TSSAA. A summer team coach called them and spoke to Ronnie Carter. He is getting this in writing to turn into the local high school administration. I will give you the exact verbage when I recieve it from this coach.

A 'facility' is basically a building such as the weight room or the gymnasium. Fields may be used by summer teams during the dead period. The high school coaches shall not be coaching the summer team during this 2 week dead period. There's no limit on players from the local high school that might play on the summer team during the dead period. The dead period provides high school players a dead period from their high school sports and high school coachs each summer. Other summer league teams are not affected by this dead period in any shape, form or fashion. Baseball, football and soccer fields that are available to third party teams that might have high school athletes will still be available to those teams during the dead period.

The interpretation is confusing because everyone is trying to apply TSSAA rules to non high school teams. TSSAA rules are for high school teams and high school coaches, period.

Look forward to getting that info.

Football players have been told they cannot use the fields during dead period. Some of them wanted to get together, on their own; to throw, run steps etc, and they were told that the fields, both practice and playing field was off limits during dead period.