DEAD PERIOD

tyme

If a weight room, football field or gym is classified as part of the "facility" then why wouldnt a baseball field be the same way?

I am a supporter of the Dead period. Why is it so hard for coaches to abide by?

Example: As i was driving home after work late yesterday I happened upon a rural High School in middle Tennessee. After all the talk about the dead period the past couple of weeks I couldnt help but notice the baseball field lights on and just had to turn around and check it out (curiosity got the better of me). THere on the High SChool field were 2 teams. Both in High School uniforms, umpired, score board, concession, paid admission, etc. I had to stop and asked a couple of non-direct question..........Q. Is this your High School team or a travel team. A. High school team.

Q. Boy yalll look gud, who coaches yall? A. That guy over there on 3rd base, and see that guy keeping the books.

The conversation went on for just a couple of minutes, then i left.

Coaches are teaching the kids that rules are made to be broken(until your caught).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a weight room, football field or gym is classified as part of the "facility" then why wouldnt a baseball field be the same way?

Example: As i was driving home after work late yesterday I happened upon a rural High School in middle Tennessee. After all the talk about the dead period the past couple of weeks I couldnt help but notice the baseball field lights on and just had to turn around and check it out (curiosity got the better of me). THere on the High SChool field were 2 teams. Both in High School uniforms, umpired, score board, concession, paid admission, etc. I had to stop and asked a couple of non-direct question..........Q. Is this your High School team or a travel team. A. High school team.

Q. Boy yalll look gud, who coaches yall? A. That guy over there on 3rd base, and see that guy keeping the books.

Coaches are teaching the kids that rules are made to be broken(until your caught).

if they are not the coaches of the high school it is ok...and usually coaches do not keep books i find it very surprising for a coach to be coaching during dead period...we CAN play on the feild be we cannot use our lockerooms or our indoor facilty to hit and it is VERY unusal for any team to charge admission for summer games usually the only time we pay to get in in the summer are tournaments so the paid admission is surprising as well

The word used in the definition is "facilities". If the baseball fields are on school grounds then isn't it a school facility?

Why should football players not be able to use the practice fields, stadium field, and/or run the bleachers, etc; (on their own and/or with a volunteer coach/parent); but baseball can use the baseball field during DEAD PERIOD? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I know that TSSAA will not let the football players use the "outdoor facilties" during DEAD PERIOD.

I personally offered to come the fields and let the football players run / etc during DEAD PERIOD.

The coach checked with TSSAA and was told absolutely not.

The football fields, both game and practice are considered part of the school facilities.

Is there some sort of double standard going on here?

Would you care to share where?

In some cases, there is a difference. Quite a few High Schools play their games at County Parks or other facilities. Just to name a few...Carter HS plays at a county park, Rockwood HS plays at a county park, Science Hill plays at Cardinal Park, Maryville HS plays at Maryville College, and I am sure the list goes on....

In these cases, TSSAA cannot shut down the county park or other facilities. These would still be open. I know that there are probably a few Football Programs that do not play on school grounds also.

I agree that Dead Period should be upheld with coaching rules, but I also think that TSSAA should not be allowed to govern over players thru summer periods. For the players good enough or lucky enough to be on travel teams, they get a lot more playing time throughout the summer. If the coaches are not coaching the summer team, they are allowed to play for now. At the HS level, there are not very many places that have HS dimensions, so they need to leave the fields open. Also, quite a few High Schools allow summer teams & Legion teams along with Rec teams to use their fields b/c of the lack of proper size fields. The utilities of the fields are paid by the counties & should be open for proper use. This does help build community relations.

As for the Fall (during school) Rule, I do not agree with the 5 per school per team rule. Some communities do not have enough kids to have 2 seperate teams from 2 different High Schools, so this forces parents to travel to areas that offer fall leagues. Why are they doing all the reclassifications again? To save money & gas? This doesn't count for fall baseball or other out of season sports, does it. I know there are rules for soccer & basketball also, I do not agree with the limited participation rules. Just my thoughts.

if they are not the coaches of the high school it is ok...and usually coaches do not keep books i find it very surprising for a coach to be coaching during dead period...we CAN play on the feild be we cannot use our lockerooms or our indoor facilty to hit and it is VERY unusal for any team to charge admission for summer games usually the only time we pay to get in in the summer are tournaments so the paid admission is surprising as well

I agree normally a HS coach will not keep books, but maybe they do in the Dead Period.

And as far as admission, I paid $2 to watch. Maybe the home team was using this as a fund raiser. Who knows. If you say that this is unusual I will have to take your word for it.

Here is the direct quote from TSSAA.

"School facilities may be used by outside groups during the

dead period. They do not have to be closed."

I think the key word is 'outside groups'. What are the high school football players that are working out 'on their own' preparing for? I bet high school football players can find football camps during the dead period. Summer baseball teams can be a variety of things as far as player makeup, but primarily they are in season and playing games. There will be a few summer teams that are comprised of only high school players, true, but how can the TSSAA govern a Senior Little League team, for instance, who is playing district tournament games that are set by Williamsport? They back into a date based on a World Series to be played sometime in August. How is one state high school organization going to supersede that? Likewise, I guarantee that these elite AAU basketball teams will be playing in a tournament or showcase somewhere during the dead period. Why not Tennessee? Who are we kidding? There's a wrestling camp in Chattanooga this week. Think any high school wrestlers might be there? The players that want to play are playing. The dead period is just to take away any mandatory participation, give those that want to take a break a chance to do that and let the parents plan a vacation.

Here is the direct quote from TSSAA.

"School facilities may be used by outside groups during the

dead period. They do not have to be closed."

They may have been "outside groups". But boy, they sure seemed (HS uniforms, HS coach) like HS teams.

We do not play as a high school team in the summer. The parents pay for a coach, pay for uniforms and pay to enter the tournaments and for the umpires. It is totally separate from the school. Our high school lets 4 travel teams use the fields during the summer for practice and games. Football gets plenty of field time. They are allowed to play in the spring and the fall and work out all summer except for the dead period. Baseball only gets spring and summer now, so why would you want them to lose more time on the field?

They may have been "outside groups". But boy, they sure seemed (HS uniforms, HS coach) like HS teams.

So if they buy a 2 button tee shirt with a different name on it and get a parent to coach them, you'd be good with that? Most of the time in a small community, the kids that can make a summer traveling team are the same ones that can make a high school team. You're talking about semantics.

So if they buy a 2 button tee shirt with a different name on it and get a parent to coach them, you'd be good with that? Most of the time in a small community, the kids that can make a summer traveling team are the same ones that can make a high school team. You're talking about semantics.

If the exact same players as on the HS team, the exact same coach as on the HS team, the exact same uniforms as the HS team, ALL from the exact same HS play as a summer team, then yes, that in my opion seems like a HS team. Call it semantics if you want.