DEAD PERIOD

tyme

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HS Coach cannot coach that team during the dead period. A schools facilities are off limits also.

Are you sure about the "facilities" thing?

We're scheduled to play in a tournamet at a high school during the dead period. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I hope the formatting works. This was copied from TSSAA Handbook at TSSAA.org.........

50% Rule ??“ Applies to basketball, baseball, and softball. Participation (includes practice or games) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (3 in basketball, 5 in baseball, 5 in girls softball). Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the school season may be placed on the high school eligibility list the following season.

Baseball:

Monday, week of August 1 until Monday, last full week of August....DEAD PERIOD

Monday, last full week of August until Monday, week of November 1....Weight training/conditioning permitted.

**No open facilities. No practice.

Monday, week of November 1 until Monday, prior to Thanksgiving....DEAD PERIOD

Monday, prior to Thanksgiving until January 1....Weight training/conditioning permitted.

**No open facilities. No practice

January 1 until Monday, week of February 15....Weight training/conditioning/open facilities permitted. No practice.

Monday, week of February 15....First Practice Date.

**Must practice 3 days before preseason scrimmages. Maximum of 4 preseason scrimmages or

2 preseason scrimmage dates, or 1 date and 2 scrimmages.

Monday, 10 weeks prior to Spring Fling.....Date of First Contest. Eligibility and schedule must be filed online.

**Maximum number of regular season contests....30 Games.

**Maximum of 4 tournaments with each tournament counting as 3 games.

End of season until completion of school....Coaches may be involved in a coaching capacity with students in

their school on non-school teams.

Completion of school until Summer Dead Period....No practice regulations.

Week of preceding July 4 and the week of July 4.... SUMMER DEAD PERIOD

End of Summer Dead Period until Monday, week of August 1.......No practice regulations.

Definitions:

Dead Period ??“ No coaching, observing, or contact between coach and players in sport involved. There is no practice, no open facilities, and no weight training / conditioning.

I hope the formatting works. This was copied from TSSAA Handbook at TSSAA.org.........

50% Rule ??“ Applies to basketball, baseball, and softball. Participation (includes practice or games) during the school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (3 in basketball, 5 in baseball, 5 in girls softball). Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the school season may be placed on the high school eligibility list the following season.

Baseball:

Monday, week of August 1 until Monday, last full week of August....DEAD PERIOD

Monday, last full week of August until Monday, week of November 1....Weight training/conditioning permitted.

**No open facilities. No practice.

Monday, week of November 1 until Monday, prior to Thanksgiving....DEAD PERIOD

Monday, prior to Thanksgiving until January 1....Weight training/conditioning permitted.

**No open facilities. No practice

January 1 until Monday, week of February 15....Weight training/conditioning/open facilities permitted. No practice.

Monday, week of February 15....First Practice Date.

**Must practice 3 days before preseason scrimmages. Maximum of 4 preseason scrimmages or

2 preseason scrimmage dates, or 1 date and 2 scrimmages.

Monday, 10 weeks prior to Spring Fling.....Date of First Contest. Eligibility and schedule must be filed online.

**Maximum number of regular season contests....30 Games.

**Maximum of 4 tournaments with each tournament counting as 3 games.

End of season until completion of school....Coaches may be involved in a coaching capacity with students in

their school on non-school teams.

Completion of school until Summer Dead Period....No practice regulations.

Week of preceding July 4 and the week of July 4.... SUMMER DEAD PERIOD

End of Summer Dead Period until Monday, week of August 1.......No practice regulations.

Definitions:

Dead Period ??“ No coaching, observing, or contact between coach and players in sport involved. There is no practice, no open facilities, and no weight training / conditioning.

This same HS is having 2008-2009 baseball tryouts on July 2nd. I think that this school has found a loophole and is willing to use it to the best of their ability.

What is the penalty?

This from the Question/Answer Section of the Handbook......

Q. Is it permissible for a school to have try-outs before the first practice date?

A. Try-outs are considered practice. No school may hold try-outs prior to the first practice date as set forth by the TSSAA Sports Calendar.

For the 08-09 school year, the date of first practice for baseball is Feb. 9, 2009

Don't know what loophole this school has found but July 2 falls within the Summer Dead Period and is well before the date of first practice..... Looks to me as if they are just rolling the dice that no one turns them in.

As for the penalty......

Section 3. The Executive Director and/or the Board of Control shall have power to suspend, to fine, or otherwise penalize any member school for the violation of any provisions of the Constitution or Bylaws of the association or for other just cause. The period of suspension or other penalty shall be left to the discretion of the Board of Control where the penalty is not fixed.

Are you sure about the "facilities" thing?

We're scheduled to play in a tournamet at a high school during the dead period. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I've not read anything concerning facilities other than 'no open facilities' for school teams. I think 3rd party users of the high school fields such as travel teams, legion, Babe Ruth and Little League are exempt from this. They aren't under TSSAA's jurisdiction if the high school coach isn't involved with coaching the team. There are plenty of rec teams and unaffiliated summer teams that are using high school facilities.

I've not read anything concerning facilities other than 'no open facilities' for school teams. I think 3rd party users of the high school fields such as travel teams, legion, Babe Ruth and Little League are exempt from this. They aren't under TSSAA's jurisdiction if the high school coach isn't involved with coaching the team. There are plenty of rec teams and unaffiliated summer teams that are using high school facilities.

I agree with you.... the only area of concern that I could see would be current students playing in/on a school's facility.... The Open Facility definition states that Schools may use their facilities for students in their building prior to or at the conclusion of the school day. It doesn't have to be an organized school sport... in fact, to read the entire definition, there is nothing organized about it... In the most literal translation of "No Open Facilities", students enrolled in school can't be at/on/in the school facility during a period of No Open Facilities. Personally, I think this is an issue that would be decided on a case-by-case ruling from the Executive Officer. I don't think anything would be done about it as long as there wasn't a huge outcry from other coaches.

I agree. There's not a one size fits all for using high school facilities. My son's school chooses the conservative route and not allow anyone on the premises for athletic purposes during the dead period, but I also know that Little League for example will begin having district tournaments the last week of June and that their region and world series tournaments are one of the first to be played. There will be games with high school aged players during the dead period. Some communities have maybe one field with 90 ft bases that's used for high school and summer leagues. The players in those communities might all play for both the high school and the summer team. That's kind of the way it is. Baseball is a sport best played in the summertime and there are hundreds of non school teams that will be playing during that time. I think TSSAA needs to clarify what an open facility is exactly to a third party user.