DEAD PERIOD

tyme

Baseball is a sport best played in the summertime and there are hundreds of non school teams that will be playing during that time. I think TSSAA needs to clarify what an open facility is exactly to a third party user.

There is a BIG difference between OPEN FACILITIES & DEAD PERIOD. For baseball, the week before/of July 4th, is DEAD PERIOD. No coach can have contact with players during this time. Like the definition reported said, TRYOUTS can only be held in early February according to the Sports Calendar. But coaches can coach baseball teams during the summer, EXCEPT during the dead period, then either they can not play/practice or someone else has to do it for them. Don't know why you say basketball coaches can't coach AAU, they've been doing that for years. You just have to abide by the sports calendar the TSSAA puts out.

Likewise, OPEN FACILITIES means a coach can have the facilities open for their athletes to work-out but cannot be coached by the coaches, he can only observe. Why do rules get broken? People don't interpret the rules differently, some just chose to ignore the rules and then say they didn't understand them. They seem to understand the rules during the coaches meeting but I guess they have loss of memory back at home with the doors closed.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach= High school coach?

None of that addresses what really happens during the dead period. Let's say the high school coach is on vacation and away from the players and facilities during the dead period. Let's also say that there is an American Legion/Babe Ruth/Dixie Youth/Little League team or a travel team that will be playing on the high school field during the dead period.

Literally speaking, the high school players on summer teams would be ineligible to play on the high school field, but they could walk down the street to the city park and play till their hearts content. Is that how it works? That's how it's working in some places. Now let's say that the city park is where the high school team also plays. Is the city park now an open facility? It would seem so.

The other part of this equation is that the rec leagues are playing district tournaments. Tournament dates are set by a national organization so that all everybody plays state at roughly the same time so that the regional tournaments can be coordinated. Many of these district and state tournaments are played on high school fields during the dead period. Is that a violation? How?

TSSAA has no jurisdiction over high school players who technically have not tried out yet for the upcoming season. We just established that in the last post. If we can assume that the TSSAA can control facilities owned by school systems and coaches paid by school systems, then I suppose that coaches could be prohibited from contact with former/potential high school players during the dead period and that the school system can make it's facilities off limits if they so choose. I could also argue that a summer coach can play whenever he wants if he's not a school system employee and that the summer team should be able to play wherever they normally would play.

I think the dead period is for high school coach/player contact period. There can be no mandatory anything from the H.S. coach, but there's no way that summer team players can be prohibited from participating in non school sports during the dead period.

Coach= High school coach?

I think the dead period is for high school coach/player contact period. There can be no mandatory anything from the H.S. coach, but there's no way that summer team players can be prohibited from participating in non school sports during the dead period.

You are correct, the coach can not mandate a player play or not play during the dead period. They can have no contact and the facilities are closed. However, yes the player can keep on playing. The purpose of the rule is to give HS players a break from mandatory weight room workouts and practice. Players need some time off but if they are playing summer sports, yes they can continue. A parent of a player can coach the team during the dead period or anyone else, just not HS coach. Anyone having questions ought to call Gene Menese or Bernard Childress at TSSAA or the questions/answers on their website will answer just about any question you might have. The best way to control this rule if it gets abused, is to report the abuse. Give the players a couple weeks off, they have played all year long, it's really not a bad rule.

You are correct, the coach can not mandate a player play or not play during the dead period. They can have no contact and the facilities are closed. However, yes the player can keep on playing. The purpose of the rule is to give HS players a break from mandatory weight room workouts and practice. Players need some time off but if they are playing summer sports, yes they can continue. A parent of a player can coach the team during the dead period or anyone else, just not HS coach. Anyone having questions ought to call Gene Menese or Bernard Childress at TSSAA or the questions/answers on their website will answer just about any question you might have. The best way to control this rule if it gets abused, is to report the abuse. Give the players a couple weeks off, they have played all year long, it's really not a bad rule.

I agree it is not a bad rule...the only sports it hurts or effects is baseball and football

as these sports are summer sports but as far as basketball and football and most of your other sports it is good timing a great break every year at the same time so that families can schedule vacations...in baseball at RIVERDALE we schedule a tournament in panama city so while we are still playing the real purpose is a vacation...in fact we are here now so i agree that the 2 week dead period is good and i do understand keeping it this way for everyone in our sport it is right in the middle of their season

My only argument with the dead period is the timing for it for baseball. It is right in the middle of state tournaments and world series. Would everyone still feel it was good timing if it was in the middle of October? That would be great for baseball. Who coaches the Riverdale team in Panama?

the coaches do until dead period and then some parents coach the teams when dead period hits...

I agree with you about the timing for baseball and softball our kids usually have the whole month of august off so a dead period in there would be a lot more natural for the spring sports but someone made a good point about a kid playing multiple sports and it was a valid point

No doubt. I've said halfway jokingly that I wished the dead period was from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Still, there's no jurisdiction over the summer sports by TSSAA. I don't have a problem with removing the head coach from the equation for those 2 weeks. My biggest complaint is that 'open facilities' isn't really necessary if the coaching staff isn't there and mandatory workouts or practice aren't required. The 'facility' might be the summer leagues home field which isn't precluded from playing games so long as the school team's coaching staff isn't involved. Why does it matter where the summer teams play their games?

I apologize for being off topic but how is the Warrior program doing in Panama?

well overall not too bad we have several teams here...we have the "varsity team JV team an incoming freshman team and a 13 year old team

but the older team lost their first game today 8-3 we are missing several key players so our defense and pitching is taking some alterations we play in the morning at 9 and then at 2 our JV team is 1-1 they won this morning 7-2 and lost this evening 6-2 i am not sure about the younger kids for sure but i hear they are doing well

the coaches do until dead period and then some parents coach the teams when dead period hits...

I agree with you about the timing for baseball and softball our kids usually have the whole month of august off so a dead period in there would be a lot more natural for the spring sports but someone made a good point about a kid playing multiple sports and it was a valid point

Why can't you just go on vacation and not play? I don't really think it's a vacation. That's just an excuse to go play more baseball.

Furthermore, I bet the coaches are at the games and "observing" during dead period or are they really on a vacation without baseball?

Why is so hard for baseball, remember we're talking about high school teams here, not travel, Post 19 etc.;

to take a couple weeks off?

Now if your high school team plays under the guise of some other team/league, then ???? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Go to Spring Hill during the July 4th weekend and see the tournament being played. Most of the teams will be made up of entirely of their high school teams and they'll be using the High School facilities.

How is that not a violation of dead period rules? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

FYI: Out of TSSAA handbook-

TSSAA SPORTS CALENDAR

DEFINITIONS

Practice ??“ Coach and player(s) together with instruction, teaching, coaching, etc.

Open Facilities ??“ Schools may use their facilities for students in their building prior to or at the conclusion of the school day. Coaches may serve in a supervisory capacity only. There is no instruction, no teaching, no coaching, etc. Coaches may not participate or play in any manner. It is a free play type atmosphere.

Weight Training / Conditioning ??“ Must be a generic type program that would be beneficial to all students and not sport specific. Exception: In baseball and girls softball, players may throw to condition arms.

Dead Period ??“ No coaching, observing, or contact between coach and players in sport involved. There is no practice, no open facilities, and no weight training / conditioning.

Why can't you just go on vacation and not play? I don't really think it's a vacation. That's just an excuse to go play more baseball.

Furthermore, I bet the coaches are at the games and "observing" during dead period or are they really on a vacation without baseball?

Why is so hard for baseball, remember we're talking about high school teams here, not travel, Post 19 etc.;

to take a couple weeks off?

Now if your high school team plays under the guise of some other team/league, then ???? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Go to Spring Hill during the July 4th weekend and see the tournament being played. Most of the teams will be made up of entirely of their high school teams and they'll be using the High School facilities.

How is that not a violation of dead period rules? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

You dont think this is a vacation?...you should be down here and see our boys...Keep in mind these boys play baseball because they WANT to play baseball it is a summer team but as a high school we stay together and play during the summer against some of these all star teams a good season for us in summer ball is .500 the objective is to play good throw strikes and play good defense while a lot of teams have better hitters and better pitchers top - bottom are main objective is to get better for spring..you do not have time in spring to find out who is gonna be able to handle varsity maybe in a spot or 2 but overall 2 weeks of practice it is also a time for our coaches to see more players in more situations to help them be better ball players and to also get in front of more scouts for those that may help

AS FAR AS THE BET ON OBSERVING US PLAYING YOU NAME THE AMOUNT AND I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE YOUR MONEY...our game is at 2 tomorrow and we have 2 dads that are coaching it and our head coach is leaving at 9 or 10 in the morning and our assitants are leaving around 1

as far as taking time of...the have the last 2 weeks of july the entire month of august and some of september and now with the 50/50 rule fall ball has change a LOT my son WHO WANTS TO PLAY is limited on who he plays with last year we had to drive to shelby park and pay more than twice the amount of money for him to play