DEAD PERIOD

tyme

If the exact same players as on the HS team, the exact same coach as on the HS team, the exact same uniforms as the HS team, ALL from the exact same HS play as a summer team, then yes, that in my opion seems like a HS team. Call it semantics if you want.

well if you want to see a game tomorro come out to RIVERDALE we are the murfreesboro WARRIORS and we wear our practice shirts and pants and usually our coach coaches but for the next 2 weeks we will have either a parnet coach or another volunteer to help out but oyu will not see our coaches coaching the players game time at 6 some say high and we wont charge admission but please spend your money at the concession stand

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the high school basketball team calls one another and plays pickup on the outside courts or in the church parking lot next door are they in violation?

If the offensive linemen get together and lift at the local fitness center 2 blocks away from the high school, are they in violation? What if the quarterback calls up 3 recievers and meets at the football field to throw. Whose to stop them?

If the high school baseball coach has a summer team and takes off for 2 weeks and hands the reigns to a parent for a couple of weeks, does it really matter what's on the front of the uniform?

If the local high school team is playing for a Legion team or a rec team, should they forego their post season because the state high school association picked those particular 2 weeks to be the dead period?

It seems to me the dead period was for the over zealous high school coaches and not for the players. The one sport players get the same break that the 3 sport athletes get. It seems to me, that the TSSAA is not limiting the athletes from doing what they choose to do, but rather the coaches from mandating what they will do. Where they choose to workout or play affects that how?

What's happened is that the TSSAA has written the rule as absolute law which it is for high school teams. You can't extrapolate that to high school athletes on any team. There's no jurisdiction. I'll bet the school insurance won't cover an injury in a summer league baseball game no matter what jersey the kid is wearing.

If the high school basketball team calls one another and plays pickup on the outside courts or in the church parking lot next door are they in violation?

If the offensive linemen get together and lift at the local fitness center 2 blocks away from the high school, are they in violation? What if the quarterback calls up 3 recievers and meets at the football field to throw. Whose to stop them?

If the high school baseball coach has a summer team and takes off for 2 weeks and hands the reigns to a parent for a couple of weeks, does it really matter what's on the front of the uniform?

If the local high school team is playing for a Legion team or a rec team, should they forego their post season because the state high school association picked those particular 2 weeks to be the dead period?

It seems to me the dead period was for the over zealous high school coaches and not for the players. The one sport players get the same break that the 3 sport athletes get. It seems to me, that the TSSAA is not limiting the athletes from doing what they choose to do, but rather the coaches from mandating what they will do. Where they choose to workout or play affects that how?

What's happened is that the TSSAA has written the rule as absolute law which it is for high school teams. You can't extrapolate that to high school athletes on any team. There's no jurisdiction. I'll bet the school insurance won't cover an injury in a summer league baseball game no matter what jersey the kid is wearing.

Well spoken and point taken.

But what if the HS basketball Coach called another HS coach and those 2 teams got together in the gym of the HS and charged admission?

If the county owned school bus that some of these teams use was in a wreck who would paid that cost?

If high school coaches mandated that their high school teams show up during the contest in the dead period or if the high school coaches coached or observed the game, then they would be in violation of the rule. Charging admission is not covered in the rule.

The insuror of the owner of the bus would pay. That could be the county, booster club or private individual I suppose.

Look, I don't doubt that there are those that play loose with the rules. There are. That's why the rule was necessary. Likewise, there seems to be an abundance of folks that don't know how to interpret the rule and either paint every team sport with the same broad brush and don't allow anything or those that think they won't get caught.

I agree normally a HS coach will not keep books, but maybe they do in the Dead Period.

And as far as admission, I paid $2 to watch. Maybe the home team was using this as a fund raiser. Who knows. If you say that this is unusual I will have to take your word for it.

If they keep the books, then they are "observing" and that is violation.

1. YES: if outside courts are at school. NO: if at church courts.

2. NO: Weight lifting at fitness. Yes; if QB throws at school facilties.

3. NO; As long as the high school facilities aren't used.

4. NO: As long as the high school facilities aren't used.

TSSAA is not limiting the athletes from doing "what they choose to do" without coaches; just the facilities at which they can do it at.

I have watched a minimum of 20 baseball games this summer.

All teams I've watched have their school name, made of last years players, and incoming players in each and every case.

Like I said earlier..........is there a double standard? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

If high school coaches mandated that their high school teams show up during the contest in the dead period or if the high school coaches coached or observed the game, then they would be in violation of the rule. Charging admission is not covered in the rule.

The insuror of the owner of the bus would pay. That could be the county, booster club or private individual I suppose.

Look, I don't doubt that there are those that play loose with the rules. There are. That's why the rule was necessary. Likewise, there seems to be an abundance of folks that don't know how to interpret the rule and either paint every team sport with the same broad brush and don't allow anything or those that think they won't get caught.

How much sports have you played? "Mandated".

My coaches never "mandated" anything, but I knew I better be there when I was expected to be there. End of Story!.

If not, I better have a dadgum good excuse to not being there or there would be a price to pay!

TSSAA is not limiting the athletes from doing "what they choose to do" without coaches; just the facilities at which they can do it at.

All teams I've watched have their school name, made of last years players, and incoming players in each and every case.

Like I said earlier..........is there a double standard? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

1. is No if the coach isn't involved. What are you going to do, run off the neighborhood kids shooting hoops in the parking lot? Come on.

2. is No if the coach isn't involved. Same thing. QB and receivers show up at Maury County Park on their own time and throw the ball around. Who can legislate that and why would you?

3. is No if the coach isn't there. Baseball is in season in the summer and it has nothing to do with high schools or high school coaches except that there's a premium on field times. Play at Columbia State but not behind Columbia Central? What's the difference? What about Pillow Park before there was a field at Central. Is that a public facility or a school facility?

4. is No because TSSAA doesn't have jurisdiction over anything outside of high school teams. Post 19 is hosting a big tournament starting July 2nd. They are using fields at Mt. Pleasant, Columbia Academy and CSCC. There will be some high school players on some of these teams. So?

I've watched 20 or more games this summer and haven't seen a school's name associated with any of them. I know that some of the teams are comprised of high school players from the same school. Some of them are even coached by their high school coach. So long as he's not involved during the dead period, it's a non issue. Who cares what the name of the team is? Most of the teams the local summer team plays have players from 2 or 3 schools playing together as a travel team and they have coaches that might or might not have ties to the school.

Schools overreact and make zero tolerance decisions because that's the easiest thing to do. AAU basketball, travel baseball and 7 on 7 football can play during the dead period for outside teams on school property.

Pay close attention to the schools using the "school name" ... Riverdaleman said in an earlier post that the team he is affiliated with is known as the "Murfreesboro Warriors" during the summer ... NOT the "Riverdale Warriors" .. Therefore, that is a different team and could be allowed to use the baseball field during the dead period as a legion team or dizzy dean or whichever affiliation they choose to use. You will see this with a lot of schools. Instead of Tullahoma being the Wildcats they will be the "Tullahoma Tornadoes" ... if you change the first or last name, it may be the same players from the h/s, but they are playing for a different team...technically.

Semantics. What's in a name?

Either you are in violation regardless of the name or you are not regardless of the name.

The same applies for location. You are in violation regardless of where the games are played or you are not regardless of where the games are played.

The only constant is the COACH. You are in violation regardless of your team name and where you play if you play during the dead period and any member of the high school coaching staff is present.

Semantics. What's in a name?

Either you are in violation regardless of the name or you are not regardless of the name.

The same applies for location. You are in violation regardless of where the games are played or you are not regardless of where the games are played.

The only constant is the COACH. You are in violation regardless of your team name and where you play if you play during the dead period and any member of the high school coaching staff is present.

Semantics whats in a name? that is a good question HOWEVER since school it out and the spring sport is over we are not affiliated with anything that has to do with high school sports we dont even play by high school rules (unless it is a tournament that chooses to play by them)but in league play it is major league rules In the spring the school pays the coaches in the summer players fees pays them we still use the high school field and our pracitce jerseys that says WARRIORS on them i think our summer affiliation is GNABA...We are not in violation for using the field we only use the field we do not use the indoor facilty if a player leaves something in his locker during the dead period he is out of luck