DEAD PERIOD

tyme

I think the key is 'no affiliation'. He's not on the high school coaching staff. His team also has kids from 3 other high schools on it. All the high school kids do not play for this particular travel team. I don't think that means anything though. The dead period is for H.S. coach/player contact. My stance all along has been that the travel team has no high school affiliation if the high school coach isn't coaching it. Those kids could be travel, Legion or rec league teams comprised entirely of kids that play on the high school team. In fact, that's the norm in smaller communities. It's also the norm to only have one field with high school dimensions for these kids in smaller communities. It would be ludicrous to deny them useage of the field for these 2 weeks just because it's on school property. That's my point.

I've said all along that that AAU 7on7 passing leagues were in our future. Used to be that we played Legion ball in the summer time and wouldn't see the high school coach til the next season. The basketball guys had the entire summer as a dead period and the football guys went to camp towards the end of July right before school started. Everybody wants to go year round now and I see the need for a no contact period so players can go on vacation if they desire.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the key is 'no affiliation'. He's not on the high school coaching staff. His team also has kids from 3 other high schools on it. All the high school kids do not play for this particular travel team. I don't think that means anything though. The dead period is for H.S. coach/player contact. My stance all along has been that the travel team has no high school affiliation if the high school coach isn't coaching it. Those kids could be travel, Legion or rec league teams comprised entirely of kids that play on the high school team. In fact, that's the norm in smaller communities. It's also the norm to only have one field with high school dimensions for these kids in smaller communities. It would be ludicrous to deny them useage of the field for these 2 weeks just because it's on school property. That's my point.

I've said all along that that AAU 7on7 passing leagues were in our future. Used to be that we played Legion ball in the summer time and wouldn't see the high school coach til the next season. The basketball guys had the entire summer as a dead period and the football guys went to camp towards the end of July right before school started. Everybody wants to go year round now and I see the need for a no contact period so players can go on vacation if they desire.

It's not the norm that a high school age summer team is made up of of players from 3 different high schools, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there.

I still don't understand how the school football practice/game fields are considered part of the "facilities", but the baseball fields aren't. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

It's also amazing to me that the coaches, volunteers, athletes, parents, umpires, etc. can't take 2 weeks off in the summer, with no play, no practice, no athletics. GO DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR 2 WEEKS. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

It's not the norm that a high school age summer team is made up of of players from 3 different high schools, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there.

I still don't understand how the school football practice/game fields are considered part of the "facilities", but the baseball fields aren't. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

It's also amazing to me that the coaches, volunteers, athletes, parents, umpires, etc. can't take 2 weeks off in the summer, with no play, no practice, no athletics. GO DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR 2 WEEKS. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

as an umpire if i have somewhere to go i dont umpire then as a parent and volunteer we have a vacation away from ball starting on saturday til thursday i took last week off in panama even though son played a game i was still off and had a good time and in gatlinburg i will have a good time there too Look our kids play baseball OUR SEASON IS THE SUMMER it ends middle of july and then we have a month before school starts how much time do you really want a teenager to have available..i do not have a problem with the dead period but some of you act like we dont do anything with our families WELL WE DO the 2 weeks just happens to be during our season why not pick on basketball the season is from october til march and then thay are in camps in april and play through the summer and then they have fall practice as well baseball is from feb til july and we dont play any more than that and with the new 50/50 rule baseball was hit HARDER than any other sport most sports have about 20 days of no play while baseball and softball as over 60 so you tell me who need to take the breaks

Could someone please enlighten my here..............What is the TSSAA attempting to "legislate" with this rule??

If they dont want a High School Coach to Coach "his" Team in Summer ball..........then say that!

If they are attempting to force some boyz to quit playing or practicing Baseball for a couple of weeks in summer......then get a life??

Dont understand where the issue came from..........but then again NOT understanding TSSAA Rules is a short trip for me /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

as an umpire if i have somewhere to go i dont umpire then as a parent and volunteer we have a vacation away from ball starting on saturday til thursday i took last week off in panama even though son played a game i was still off and had a good time and in gatlinburg i will have a good time there too Look our kids play baseball OUR SEASON IS THE SUMMER it ends middle of july and then we have a month before school starts how much time do you really want a teenager to have available..i do not have a problem with the dead period but some of you act like we dont do anything with our families WELL WE DO the 2 weeks just happens to be during our season why not pick on basketball the season is from october til march and then thay are in camps in april and play through the summer and then they have fall practice as well baseball is from feb til july and we dont play any more than that and with the new 50/50 rule baseball was hit HARDER than any other sport most sports have about 20 days of no play while baseball and softball as over 60 so you tell me who need to take the breaks

The high school baseball season is from January-May. Plays 30 games. Then you play summer ball. Probably another 30 games or so. While I don't agree with the 50/50 rule, players can still play. Say another 20-30 games in the late summer/early fall. So Baseball players "play" 60-90 games a year. That's more games in one year than a football player will "play" his entire high school career.

Now I'm not saying football needs more games, but I don't know where you came up with the "20 days of no play".

Football has a dead period for 21 days after the season. After that they have 15 days to practice 10. Then they get approx 15 practice days before the season starts. All in all they get about 25 days of real practice in pads to get ready for the season. That's it, unless you think lifting weights/running etc is "play".

However this thread is about dead periods. I ask the question for the last time: Why is the school's football practice/game field, soccer field, and track off limits during the dead period, but the baseball field isn't?

Peace, I'm out. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The high school baseball season is from January-May. Plays 30 games. Then you play summer ball. Probably another 30 games or so. While I don't agree with the 50/50 rule, players can still play. Say another 20-30 games in the late summer/early fall. So Baseball players "play" 60-90 games a year. That's more games in one year than a football player will "play" his entire high school career.

Now I'm not saying football needs more games, but I don't know where you came up with the "20 days of no play".

Football has a dead period for 21 days after the season. After that they have 15 days to practice 10. Then they get approx 15 practice days before the season starts. All in all they get about 25 days of real practice in pads to get ready for the season. That's it, unless you think lifting weights/running etc is "play".

However this thread is about dead periods. I ask the question for the last time: Why is the school's football practice/game field, soccer field, and track off limits during the dead period, but the baseball field isn't?

Peace, I'm out. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I will answer your question based on what i have seen people say ronnie carter has told them...it is OK if several players get together at the school and do whatever BUT coaches tell them to just stay away so that their is no chance of a violation...BASEBALLS SEASON is summer so we must use the feilds and so we continue to play on them i do remember when the dead period first came in and there was talk that we would have to swap feilds with other schools so that we could continue to play FOR EXAMPLE...we would use blackmans feild and they would use ours but when asked TSSAA they said we could use our own feilds i think football just stays clear of it

My guess is that in a lot of locations one or more of the following is true:

The school's ballfield is actually a city or county park.

The city or county recreation department is involved in either the finances or the operations.

And of course baseball is played during the summer and on several nights (pitchers need to get their turn to pitch and batters need the practice)

Football is a totally different game. 10 If your lucky and don't get hurt. 15 if your are really lucky, somewhat good and don't get hurt.

What makes you think those fields are off limits? Travel soccer teams are using soccer fields, people are walking, jogging or running around the track every day and so long as the coach isn't there, football players can throw on the football field.

The schools take the easiest way out in a lot of cases. They don't push the issue as to what the 'outside teams' do because frankly, they don't care. Their coaches and staff that supervise the kids aren't supposed to be there, so it's easier for noone to be there.

Baseball is a sport of games. A little BP, a bullpen, but basically you play a lot of games in a week/month/year. Once the season starts, it's mostly games. The only recovery time required is for pitcher's arms. Football is a sport of practicing. There's 5 to 1 more practices than games. 162 MLB games in a regular season vs 17 NFL games in a regular season.

• 2 weeks later...

Do the new TSSAA rules about Summer travel teams not having more than 5 or 6 players from any one HS not apply here?

50% Rule – Applies to basketball, baseball, and softball. Participation (includes practice or games) during the

school year on a non-school team prior to the school season by students that will play the following season on the

high school team is limited to 50% of the number of players required to play the game (3 in basketball, 5 in

baseball, 5 in girls softball). Only the specified number of students participating on a non-school team prior to the

school season may be placed on the high school eligibility list the following season.