another indignity for D2

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...337/1002/SPORTS

according to this article, the 9 member Board of Control, none of whom are from D2 schools and none of whom bothered to show up for any of the D2 championship games last year, will decide for the D2 schools whether or not their championship games will be held Tuesday night.

So, any players/fans from outside Middle TN playing in this game will then in all likelihood have to miss at least some of school Tuesday, and will be home late Tuesday night, making Wednesday a de facto lost school day. No out-of-town fans/parents will likely stay overnight in the middle of the holiday week, meaning all anyone will do is show up for the game and drive back home. So not only does this diminish the economic impact, it also encourages unsafe driving conditions. Not to mention this will essentially kill any hope of a walk-up crowd, and will ruin the event for the participants. But that's what we get in Tennessee. Brilliant ideas like this one.

Is there a single intelligent person making any decisions over there? Can someone--anyone--inject an ounce of common sense here? If MTSU isn't available.....here's an idea....PICK SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!! In a million years, would the TSSAA consider something like this for D1?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't school out on Wednesday for Thanksgving?

I don't know about school, but there's also parents to consider who have to get to work the next morning... and most of those won't get the Wednesday.

As for other sites, Vanderbilt Stadium is occupied... LP Field or Neyland would be way oversized... Finley is occupied... Austin Peay is occupied...

I don't know about school, but there's also parents to consider who have to get to work the next morning... and most of those won't get the Wednesday.

As for other sites, Vanderbilt Stadium is occupied... LP Field or Neyland would be way oversized... Finley is occupied... Austin Peay is occupied...

I know in college I never had that wednesday off...Maybe we had it off in high school. I don't remember. The times proposed are 2:30 and 6:00 PM on Tuesday accoring to the agenda post on the front of Coach T. So every participant is missing school on Tuesday. So I guess these schools will have to make a last minute decision on how to handle that day...do you just declare it a general holiday for the entire school, so that the maximum number of people show up at the game?

if all of those sites are indeed unavailable, then I say play the game on a high quality high school field...either a neutral field or on the field of one of the participants. Anything is better than playing at MTSU on Tuesday night. That 100% guarantees the worst of all worlds. Having to play this game in Murfreesboro--a city without any D2 teams and 30+ miles from the site of the closest D2 teams--is bad enough. Adding that the game be on Tuesday night compounds the problem. How did MTSU get "awarded" these games when they can't even read a basic calendar to determine that they had a scheduling conflict and couldn't be a suitable host? Why on top of that does the TSSAA bend over backwards (at the expense of its member schools) to ensure that the game be played at MTSU?

Let me ask a simple question. What do you think would happen if MTSU are not available the weekend of the D1 championship and mid-week championships were proposed for them?

MTSU had a tourney game during the girl's DI state tournament and all of the games were moved up and MTSU played their game. That would be much harder to do for football because of the length of the games.

The difficulty with DII games are that they are played two weeks earlier than DI and Vandy, UT, MTSU and everyone else are still in regular season. You don't want to play on the 22nd because UT and Vandy play that day and on the 29th I think you have UT vs Kentucky. If MTSU made the playoffs I guess you could have the same thing happen in DI.

My solution would be to ask the DII schools what they want to do and let them decide. You want the best solution possible for both teams and Tuesday night before Thanksgiving may be the best option.

"My solution would be to ask the DII schools what they want to do and let them decide. You want the best solution possible for both teams and Tuesday night before Thanksgiving may be the best option."

Great solution since all 9 members of B-C are public and DII has absolutely representation, except advisory. And sometimes they are heard, sometimes they are not. Surely DII could solve this problem themselves.

"My solution would be to ask the DII schools what they want to do and let them decide. You want the best solution possible for both teams and Tuesday night before Thanksgiving may be the best option."

Great solution since all 9 members of B-C are public and DII has absolutely representation, except advisory. And sometimes they are heard, sometimes they are not. Surely DII could solve this problem themselves.

Why would you want to ask the D2 schools what they wish to do when the T$$AA is much smarter than the D2 schools. The TSSAA takes the $$$$$$ from the D2 schools, gives them no one on the BOC, and the D2 schools stay in the TSSAA and smile all the while they are getting the shaft.

If MTSU is not available why not play the game @ MBA or Greer Stadium on Thursday @ 3:00pm & 7:00pm. Most everyone is off work & out of school on both Thursday & Friday. In the past was the Clinic Bowl and State Championship game played on Thanksgiving Day? I know that other states play high school games on Thanksgiving Day as it has become a "big time" tradition for those states.

Has anyone given any thought to putting a week off between the semi-final and the final game? Colleges take off between regular season and bowl games. Might be an option to consider. Another is what is the likelihood that all the major football venues in the state would have a home game the same time?

Another consideration not mentioned is that some of the DII schools are boarding schools. Thanksgiving could be potentially the first break that some students would have enough time to travel home. It is also a family holiday. Not all families might want to spend it in Murfreesboro (not that we would mind!). What if it is your year to host everyone?

Just some initial thoughts!