What does this actually mean?

WTBaller

From the Jackson Sun updates this afternoon............

"Also, the board unanimously approved a motion for the Division II classification break between Class A and AA to be the same enrollment figure as it is in Division I."

What exactly does this mean......the break between A/AA in basketball.....the new A/AA break in football or BOTH, whichever applies?

Help me out.........I forsee a mad dash to D2......So trying to understand!

Is D2 currently divided differently for basketball and football or is it just split down the middle, playing the same teams in both?

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Also, the board unanimously approved a motion for the Division II classification break between Class A and AA to be the same enrollment figure as it is in Division I."

What exactly does this mean......the break between A/AA in basketball.....the new A/AA break in football or BOTH, whichever applies?

Is D2 currently divided differently for basketball and football or is it just split down the middle, playing the same teams in both?

Thanks

It would be baseball....softball...basketball A and AA. In football...the classes are 1a and 2a etc.

Thanks

In the current classification period, D2 is divided into A and AA (for all sports in which D2 has classes at all) based on the midpoint of the D2 schools. The new structure will instead divide them based on the D1 schools. Looks to me like if you used that last cycle, it would have moved SBEC, Davidson Academy, BGA, Immaculate Conception, and USN into AA.

In the current classification period, D2 is divided into A and AA (for all sports in which D2 has classes at all) based on the midpoint of the D2 schools. The new structure will instead divide them based on the D1 schools. Looks to me like if you used that last cycle, it would have moved SBEC, Davidson Academy, BGA, Immaculate Conception, and USN into AA.

Sorry.......still lost. There are way too many "A's" involved in all of this.

Within the new z-plan projections........in football, there is A/AA/AAA. Within A.....there is 1a/2a, AA there is 3a/4a....etc.

My question is....once again, in football is the D1 number they are useng as a basis the "little" "a" or the "big "A"?

In basketball, is it the same number they used for football (if it is the little "a") or is the "big "A"? If it is not the "A" number.....then D2 would not play the same schools in both sports...right? For the love of all that is Holy....am I that stupid, or is this confusing?

Maybe I'm an idiot......yet this statement......."Also, the board unanimously approved a motion for the Division II classification break between Class A and AA to be the same enrollment figure as it is in Division I".......followed by the continuous us of the letter "a/A", makes this confusing enough for some of the smaller D1 privates to make the wrong decision on making the jump.

Based on your response.......stating that SBEC (2006 enrollment of 280+/-) would move up, I assume you are using "a". Someone else on another thread said they thought the number was around 500, which indicates "A".

Hope I don't come across as stupid, yet I really have no idea what it is. 26 letters in the alphabet and the TSSAA is stuck on using one of them!

I am not the only one. Been at basketball camps all week and have heard people complaining that they went from "AA" to 3a. Try to explain to them that the 3a of 2009/12 is not the same as AAA of today and your head will hurt real quick!

Any help....or comments about how stupid I am would be greatly appreciated and accepted.

It would be baseball....softball...basketball A and AA. In football...the classes are 1a and 2a etc.

Antwan......If I understand your response correctly, it would be a different number for both? Wouldn't this leave them playing different schools in each sport. I know the z-plan was targeted at playing the same schools in all sports for D1....and I don't know enough about D2 to know if that is even a feasible goal for that class.

Indian had mentioned on another thread that he thought the number would be around 500 or so. I took that to mean for all sports?

Antwan......If I understand your response correctly, it would be a different number for both? Wouldn't this leave them playing different schools in each sport. I know the z-plan was targeted at playing the same schools in all sports for D1....and I don't know enough about D2 to know if that is even a feasible goal for that class.

Indian had mentioned on another thread that he thought the number would be around 500 or so. I took that to mean for all sports?

I don't think it will be different for football. I think it will be the current A and AA for all sports. That would make it in the 500 or so range. Of course...that's just the way I read it.

Here's an executive summary:

Division I basketball, to take an example, has no change of tournament plan (except the time of day of a few games in the 'boro). Schools will of course move up and down because of enrollment changes/closures/new schools, and districts will be tweaked to match.

In fact, only two sports will have a change--football (which is going over to the new plan being discussed all over the place) and volleyball (which will now have separate A and AA classes instead of a combined A-AA).

Similarly, the basic concept of Division II's classification isn't changing. There will still be an A and a AA class (except in track, bowling, and wrestling), and that dividing line will be the same in every sport (unless they let schools play up in one but not others--I thought I remembered that being permitted under a recent change).

What is changing is the placement of the dividing line between those two classes (which, in the past, was a straight 50-50 split of all D2 schools). What I assumed (and would have had those schools listed in my earlier post forced up) was that any school that would be AA or AAA as a D1 school becomes AA in D2.

However, the description can be interpreted a different way. Specifically, it may mean that the enrollment figure separating A from AA in Division I is applied to unmultiplied enrollment of the DII schools. If that is the case, not only (applying it retroactively to the 2007 figures) would none of those other schools have been AA, but five current AA schools--Hutchison, Brentwood Academy*, St. Cecilia, St. Mary's, and Webb of Knoxville--would have been placed in A (*BWA would almost certainly have played up, and I imagine Webb would have too).

However, the description can be interpreted a different way. Specifically, it may mean that the enrollment figure separating A from AA in Division I is applied to unmultiplied enrollment of the DII schools. If that is the case, not only (applying it retroactively to the 2007 figures) would none of those other schools have been AA, but five current AA schools--Hutchison, Brentwood Academy*, St. Cecilia, St. Mary's, and Webb of Knoxville--would have been placed in A (*BWA would almost certainly have played up, and I imagine Webb would have too).

Surely this is the way it will be. How could they possibly even bring up the word "multiplier". It should not even be in the discussion as far as D2 schools go. That would not be completely fair......so.....It may very well be what they do : )

Thanks for the help.......I guess the question now becomes:

Is the D1 enrollment figure used as a basis applied to the actual enrollment of privates considering the jump?

Anyone.................

Surely this is the way it will be. How could they possibly even bring up the word "multiplier". It should not even be in the discussion as far as D2 schools go. That would not be completely fair......so.....It may very well be what they do : )

Thanks for the help.......I guess the question now becomes:

Is the D1 enrollment figure used as a basis applied to the actual enrollment of privates considering the jump?

Anyone.................

If I understand your question...DI privates multiplied...DII privates not multiplied. If privates select DII...they will go by the DI and now DII A to AA cutoff for placement in their respective class.

Take all current DI schools, divide by 3 based on current enrollment not multiplied and create a potential A, AA, AAA. Release these figures sometime in the late summer or early fall. Then DI private schools look it over and decide where they want to be. Those DI privates that fall in A will be guaranteed that, if they moved to DII, they would play DIIA in all sports.

Bottom line, TSSAA now draws the line betwen A and AA for DII instead of the DII committee. Another case of taking away any semblance of self governance that DII has.

In my opinion, this will become very problematic for football, because there will be a significant jump to DIIA. DIIA will then include schools with enrollments from 150 up to around 450, +/-, and football will be tough for those 150 enrollment schools, the very schools that DII folks would like to attract!

It could call for a return to 3 DII football classes, but my bet is TSSAA will not do this because of "cost". Ironic, because they are prepared to offer 6 championships in DI, "unless there is significant movement to DII".

Well, is they were open to 8 football championships, 6 in DI and 2 in DII, why not go ahead and do 5 in DI and 3 in DII, if there truly is a significant move to DII?

Lots going on.

In my opinion, this becomes very problematic for DII football particularly, because there will be a significant jump over to DII and the A class will grow significantly. A will then include schools with enrollments from 150 up to around 450, +/-, and football will be tough for those 150 enrollment schools.

I can see the smaller D2 schools of today feeling slighted yet wouldn't 300+/- figure difference be better than what some of actually have now?