History

BDURHAM

I have nothing against Bill Cherry, but I find this quote in the

Chattanooga Time Free Press interesting. My understanding

of the history is that McCallie is the actual school that led to

the final straw in the split -- too many financial aid students

on the wrestling team. And there is an undercurrent to this

issue of the split that no one wants to talk about in public.

???Football was pretty much the sole reason for the split in the first place,??? said former McCallie athletic director Bill Cherry. ???The real kicker was when BA won two straight 5A championships and a lot of public schools couldn??™t take that.

???There was also some discontent about wrestling, but looking back, if there was a way to separate football from all other sports it would probably solve the problem. We??™re in the south, surrounded by the ACC and SEC and football is king. There is a lot of stock put into winning championships, and a football coach is going to get fired a lot faster than a golf coach for not producing.???

Hargis tries to make football the only sport that created and drives the

creation of D2, but I believe this is revisionist thinking. Football is the

major revenue producing sport in Tennessee high school athletics. Yet

it was not the only force that created a split/creation of D2.

http://www.tfponline.com/news/2008/jun/16/...es-tssaa-plans/

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

???Football was pretty much the sole reason for the split in the first place,??? said former McCallie athletic director Bill Cherry. ???The real kicker was when BA won two straight 5A championships and a lot of public schools couldn??™t take that.

???There was also some discontent about wrestling, but looking back, if there was a way to separate football from all other sports it would probably solve the problem. We??™re in the south, surrounded by the ACC and SEC and football is king. There is a lot of stock put into winning championships, and a football coach is going to get fired a lot faster than a golf coach for not producing.???

The major impetus behind the creation of D2 was BA beating Riverdale in the 1995 5A state championship when Riverdale's principal sat on the Board of Control. Just like the major reason for the multiplier is football and the major reason for this latest round of reclassification is football.

Do you honestly think there would have been a split and the multiplier, et. al. if football was not an issue? I will grant that those other things (McCallie wrestling, Ezell-Harding dominating softball, etc.) may have been contributing factors, but Hargis was correct IMHO in saying that football was the impetus behind the split. The "revisionist thinking" may be coming from some other source.

Football was the main factor, but McCallie's wrestling team was

the final straw. There were rules for how many athletes could

be on financial aid, and McCallie chose to not follow the rules.

Many people state at that point in time, when several schools

with athletes on financial aid were unable to follow the rules

and police themselves, private schools said lets go with the

split.

One might say it was similar to the gas prices factor on the recent

re-classification vote.

Interesting how people bring their own biases to the debate. I never

wrote that football wasn't the main factor.

Interesting how people bring their own biases to the debate. I never

wrote that football wasn't the main factor.

Yes, I concede that you never wrote that football wasn't the main factor and I concede that football was not the only reason.

You have never brought your Hillsboro bias to the debate?

somewhere on this board I posted an article in which Ronnie was his most candid about the creation of D2. He admitted he had no idea that the split vote was coming, and that after it was voted on and settled, that they realized the vote by the BOC wasn't even "legal" according to the TSSAA by-laws. And yes, it was the Riverdale principal who put the whole thing together. He lined up the votes before the meeting and got it passed before anyone knew what hit them. He is the one who after losing to BA in '95 walked off the field saying words to the effect of "I promise you--we will never play these guys again." Utterly pathetic.

Keep in mind, at the time, Riverdale had something like a 7-3 overall record against the private schools they wanted to vote out, including a 49-0 pasting of Baylor in those same play-offs.

somewhere on this board I posted an article in which Ronnie was his most candid about the creation of D2. He admitted he had no idea that the split vote was coming, and that after it was voted on and settled, that they realized the vote by the BOC wasn't even "legal" according to the TSSAA by-laws. And yes, it was the Riverdale principal who put the whole thing together. He lined up the votes before the meeting and got it passed before anyone knew what hit them. He is the one who after losing to BA in '95 walked off the field saying words to the effect of "I promise you--we will never play these guys again." Utterly pathetic.

Keep in mind, at the time, Riverdale had something like a 7-3 overall record against the private schools they wanted to vote out, including a 49-0 pasting of Baylor in those same play-offs.

Rivedale is the only and whole reason for the split - they could not beat BA....period

You are failing to state the flip side of the story. The privates gave in at this point. The McCallie episode was the final straw. It was preferred to be in their "own" division rather than try to follow the rules. Strange isn't it how some privates failed to follow the rules before the BA case?

Although it would have been difficult, the privates should have continued to mobilize and make their case to the TSSAA. Surely the educated and well-financed privates could have made a better internal move to change things within the TSSAA. Surely the privates could have advocated for BOC representation. But I suggest that the McCallie episode took the wind of the privates's sails. The privates had lost credibility in the debate. They agreed to the rules that they could not maintain.

Both sides are at fault and responsible for the split. Not one school, not one faction, not one man.

somewhere on this board I posted an article in which Ronnie was his most candid about the creation of D2. He admitted he had no idea that the split vote was coming, and that after it was voted on and settled, that they realized the vote by the BOC wasn't even "legal" according to the TSSAA by-laws. And yes, it was the Riverdale principal who put the whole thing together. He lined up the votes before the meeting and got it passed before anyone knew what hit them. He is the one who after losing to BA in '95 walked off the field saying words to the effect of "I promise you--we will never play these guys again." Utterly pathetic.Keep in mind, at the time, Riverdale had something like a 7-3 overall record against the private schools they wanted to vote out, including a 49-0 pasting of Baylor in those same play-offs.

Not relevant to the public - private debate. But sure,I like Hillsboro.

Yes, I concede that you never wrote that football wasn't the main factor and I concede that football was not the only reason.You have never brought your Hillsboro bias to the debate?